Notices

Sobriety and mood swings!!

Old 11-16-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety and mood swings!!

Well to start off, I've been sober from alcohol for almost a week. Today hit me HARD! You know, there are the regular daily things that upset you and then when you are in the early stages of sobriety, all of the emotions seem magnified! I talked myself out of drinking today, which would normally seem like the perfect time to drink because I'm going through a lot more issues than just alcoholism in my life; relationship, financial etc. Anyway, I have had every single mood swing known to man lately, and I'm extremely irritable. Things that normally wouldn't upset me, seem like the end of the world lately. For example, I was in the supermarket earlier looking for a snack, and I had the urge to cry because I couldn't find it!! Oh and I'm craving sugar big time!!! Constantly, and coffee!! Thanks for reading my rant!! Any thoughts, suggestions?? Thank you!
Old 11-16-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi JmBrandon well done on a week sober keep going friend

Try this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 11-16-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

quick response, I'm sure others will elaborate further.

I used alcohol to suppress my emotions - anger, stress, etc. when I stopped drinking...the emotions came out in all kinds of weird ways. it will take a while to stabilize, but it will. Sugar cravings are common after quitting alcohol and most say it is wise to give into that craving because it's better than giving into the other...and it does help with the alcohol cravings ;-)

keep with it - it may not feel like it ...but you are doing GREAT !!!
Old 11-16-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by jmbrandon87 View Post
I'm going through a lot more issues than just alcoholism in my life; relationship, financial etc. suggestions??
I think it's because alcoholism is often the symptom. It's all the other stuff that causes the problems that we have to deal with. It's overwhelming in early recovery, but you will be able to deal with the other parts of your life and it will be so much easier to do when you are sober.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Exercise is always what works best for me to balance my moods. In my first few months sober I took up running (something I did and liked also earlier in my life) and would go on pretty long runs, I even discovered a few nice areas of my neighborhood that way. Then I started doing yoga, first classes but now I do it by myself at home mostly in the evenings. Just recently looking for something more structured and complex, preferentially a form of physical activity that requires more discipline. I like meditation also - that's something else I've been into for many years now, just not enough discipline for years and of course doing it intoxicated was much more blanking out than meditating. I do it regularly now, quazi daily, not much just 20-30 mins a day.

Talking to a good friend, either f2f or virtually/via the phone also helps me often. Not isolating. I really isolated myself during the last 1-2 years of my drinking and figured it contributed to my horrible moods a lot.

The irritability is absolutely normal initially. When that happened to me, it really shocked me and was very disturbing as I am normally absolutely not an angry person. It passes.

And if you need to cry, do it until you feel relieved. Fighting it was worse in my experience.

I would be careful with the sugar and coffee though. Both of them can make emotions even more extreme, especially if we use them in excess.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for these posts. It seems like everyone here has gone through similar moods and feelings!
Old 11-16-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can DEFINITELY relate to the irritability. At one point, I posted here with a laundry list of all the things that annoyed me, and I think my hair dryer was on it. The good news is, it will pass. You're doing so great.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ah yes, the irritability. It hits out of nowhere and it hits strong early on. Also, the sugar cravings! I never used to be someone who put sugar in my coffee but it's a must for me now. It tapered off somewhat as I got more time under my belt but after my last few months where I slipped, the sugar cravings are back just as they were before. I give in to them until they subside. I figure it's better than drinking! Congrats on a week!
Old 11-16-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The bats in my belfry have been rabid lately. I have been so emotionally overloaded I couldn't even grasp how to care for myself between all the crying and the snapping and the screaming

I think the major task of sobriety is learning how to accept, allow and deal with our emotions...

As we move on through this we learn what is good and not so good for our heads. It's been at least two weeks since I meditated (did that today).

Will pop into the local community center to run the track tomorrow...haven't exercised in a while either.

I've been making a concerted effort to get fruit and vegetables back into my diet (as they have been replaced by mostly chocolate this past couple weeks).

You're having a "growth spurt"
Old 11-16-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey jmbrandon87-

I just wanted to echo some of what haennie mentioned as far as exercise. This was was the one thing which helped me the most. It kept my feelings in check, as well as some of the other stuff associated with stopping booze. I know it's not everybody's 'thing,' but I just can't stress enough how much this can help.

I do wish you well in your goal.

Lusher
Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
learning to live

keep going jmbrandon - you're doing awesome.

you are on the SAME page I was on in week one.

I cried though at a first visit in a new church. an embarrassing, I cant breathe, UGLY cry...then the preacher says right after, "lets take a minute and turn to our neighbor and say good morning" always fun....

YIKES, lol. It all passes and does get easier. Hang in there, k? Big hug!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
I think the major task of sobriety is learning how to accept, allow and deal with our emotions...
I agree. I learned this much earlier in life following a sudden and traumatic loss (my response to which was really an accumulation of loss across my lifetime to that point), and only after a great deal of time. And work. The more I attended to my emotions, the more I just let them be rather than fighting them or trying to suppress them, the less they came banging at my door to get my attention (which they often did at the worst possible moments).
Old 11-16-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My moods were all over the place for a few months. I would have flashes of almost rage so I really had to watch myself. Most conversations of any depth and length were like fingernails on a chalkboard. I used to be able to talk about nonsense for hours when I was drinking but now I feel like my tolerance is lower for blah blah blah.

It's okay to be moody but try to deal with the swings without hitting any bystanders!
Old 11-16-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The irritability sucks alright. It does seem to have settled down more in the last week. I am 4 weeks sober. Mood swings are also not as bad and I am quicker at recognizing it now and putting myself back in check.