Notices

Back again after 9 months

Old 11-16-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again after 9 months

hi everyone. Just wanted to let people know I'm back. I need this place badly. I can't believe I continue to let myself think I can drink like a normal person. I'm a madman, voluntary insanity is what it is. Just finished another bender, repeating history par for the course. The hardest part is going down this road to recovery again. My wife and family are going to think I'm nuts. I need to stop this cycle now. I didn't sleep a wink last night. Just shook and sweat. Getting on a plane now. Hope I manage some sleep and get through the WD. I'm never doing this again. I'm done.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! Do you have a plan on how you're going to stay sober?
Old 11-16-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Back SM

Least's question is a good one - what's the plan? what's different?

D
Old 11-16-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome back SM

I 2nd both the above posts
Old 11-16-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back, SoberMarathon.

Do you have a window seat on that plane? I usually get a lot of good thinking done while staring out the window at the world above and below; might be a great time to formulate a plan.

Have a safe flight.

Again, welcome back.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. I made it through the flight and so now is Day 2 already. I must admit I don't have a plan yet, this was a recent decision so I'm still in the acute WD phase. At least I'm here and posting and trying to get it right. I simply cannot have a single drink, it's that bad my disease has gotten progressively worse, blacking out often, taking risks, spending lots of money. I feel like crap and that I'll lose my family, job, and what's left of my friends. During the past years I've kept relapsing when I start feeling better and convince myself I can drink normally. Can't do it, no question. I drink to get wasted and act like an ass. I wrote in a journal on the plane to catalogue my pain. I thought that was a good start anyways. For support I have this online community for now. Might get involved in a group when I move next year. For now, all I can do is get myself together and use the recent past to motivate myself to become a better person. I'm not happy, I actually hate myself at the moment. Hate this addicted part of my brain anyways.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you can convince yourself that drinking will NEVER EVER be different for you, SM, you're on the right track

D
Old 11-16-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heyo.. Welcome!!!

Good Luck!!

Old 11-16-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I've never been able to make it normal or at least stay normal. It takes over my mind and works it's power. I'm heavily addicted. I can go a few days even weeks and on a few occasions months. But I always get lured back in.

When I finally relapsed back in February, I was with my wife, Valentine's Day and we were traveling. I finally caved and said what's the harm? Let's have some wine. Since then I've steadily slipped back in to old ways. Turned my back on SR or thoughts of sobriety and gave in to addiction. It really sucks being an alcoholic, the holidays coming up, parties, etc.
Given this is killing me, I need to just recognize this for what it is. I'm so ashamed:-(
Old 11-17-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it's that powerful you might have to reconsider other support SM...SR is great but use everything you have at your disposal.

As far as the self loathing goes, I get it...but the best thing you could do for yourself (and those who love you) is never put yourself in this situation again.

You can do this

D
Old 11-17-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Will consider it. I've hit up AA when I've been desperate before. I've also used sponsors, one who was sober and others that were not. The latter probably didn't help much.

I'll take comfort here for a bit before going anywhere else on top of this place. See where it goes. I'm committed. Way too much to lose and I've been risking it all for what? Beer sweats and glossy eyes. Need some rest. Almost home now.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi SM, using negative language about yourself puts you in the wrong frame of mind. Yeah alcohol messes us up but we can live happy healthy lives without it. Focus on the advantages of not drinking, no hangovers, clear thinking.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have been happiest when I've been sober. No hangovers, productive, smart, fit, loving, etc. Beer and wine routinely steal all of that away from me.