Notices

physical health noticed after quitting alcohol.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

physical health noticed after quitting alcohol.

Hello everyone. I decided to give up alcohol. It's been 6 days now and i feel proud of myself for going out last night and not having a drop while still having a good sober time. I'm really interested in the physical changes after quitting alcohol and hopefully you guys can help me with that.

I've been having digestive problems since i started drinking about 7 years ago. I am always bloated no matter the smallest amount of food i eat, and i think it's in part to do with my consumption of alcohol. Did anyone notice an increase in gut health? If you did, what did you notice?

I've been having skin problems as well. I noticed that my complexion lacks life, as though it is missing nutrients. It just doesn't seem to have the glow and moisture it once had, and i feel like it's making me look older. My eyes are also cloudy looking in the white part. It isn't that it's yellow, it's just not as white and bright as they used to be and i have a lot of tiny red veins all around the white part. This in particular really frustrates me.I find it hard to look in the mirror these days. Did you guys notice any improvements in this area if you experienced this while you were drinking?

Last but not least, when i drink i notice that the following couple days i have to get at least 9-10 hours of sleep to feel rested and have a hard time getting up. Luckily for me, i only needed 7 hours last night only after 6 days of no alcohol.

I look forward to hearing wonderful experiences that i know will motivate me to stay off the booze .
Old 11-16-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
learning to live

pink - hang in there.

I didn't notice hardly any physical improvement (vanity wise) until my fourth week.

I also had cloudy eyes, red veins in my eyes, nail/hair problems and very dry skin. We lose a lot of nutrients that are not getting absorbed as they should be when abusing alcohol. Give yourself some time to heal. We have done tons of damage and it's gonna take some time for out bodies, minds and spirits to catch up. It's weird but it is almost like it got worse before it got better. I have learned nothing worth having comes easy. Sobriety and recovery are NO different.

Also, mentally I noticed a slight turn around in week 4.
I cant say much past that. I did stay sober over 3 months before and as I can recall felt great physically. But, I didn't get to the acceptance part of recovery then, soooo drank again. Like an idiot. My mental state did not grow much in that time. I am back at it with 30 days tomorrow & really focusing on learning about recovery, how to live a life without drinking (also without resentment), and how to actually feel. Basically living life on it's terms.

I can tell you physically and mentally I was all over the board especially weeks one and three. :-/ I didn't drink because I knew that would just start the process all over. I finally got sick of the merry go round and jumped off for any type of sanity that could be regained.

Everyone here tells me it gets better and I believe it cause when I was drinking it was only getting worse and worse.

Hang in there and 6 days is AWESOME!!!!

Also, the bloat will go down...jut remember what I said about it getting worse before it got better. Don't quit before the miracle happens. Each day you will grow mentally, physically and spiritually....just don't ever stop striving for that

Glad you are here!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My best advice would be to drink lots of water. Water water water. Keep hydrating yourself as your body will need it to keep flushing out nasty toxins and rehydrate all of your cells. Your body will recover and get it's healthy glow back in time. Take it slow, eat right, rest well, gentle exercise.

Keep on top of all the basics and soon you will be up to full strength.
Most importantly though, stay sober. It's the best

Take care!
(Oh and Welcome )