Notices

Amotivational Syndrome

Old 11-13-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Amotivational Syndrome

Anybody here experience amotivational syndrome-like symptoms?

For me, I used to spend my time while drinking dicking around and wasting my time. I never thought there was anything wrong with it. I mean, it was ok to waste my time as a kid, so why not as an adult, too?

Now that I've quit, I see how far other people have gone in terms of building up their skills and making friends and other stuff that I haven't been doing. It feels like I've done bloody ****** up.

I feel that I've ruined my brain with alcohol. I'll never go back to drinking, there's no doubt about that. But will I ever fully recover? I'm only 22. I hope I didn't screw up my brain. I need it for the work I'm set to do (Engineering)
Old 11-13-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Give it a bit of time...it takes a couple months to feel stable again, but you should have every reason to believe that you'll make a full recovery. These feelings are totally normal.

I'm much older than you and I understand those feelings. I hope you stay away from the bottle and go on to live a full and prosperous life.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by SaviorNomad View Post
Anybody here experience amotivational syndrome-like symptoms?

For me, I used to spend my time while drinking dicking around and wasting my time. I never thought there was anything wrong with it. I mean, it was ok to waste my time as a kid, so why not as an adult, too?

Now that I've quit, I see how far other people have gone in terms of building up their skills and making friends and other stuff that I haven't been doing. It feels like I've done bloody ****** up.

I feel that I've ruined my brain with alcohol. I'll never go back to drinking, there's no doubt about that. But will I ever fully recover? I'm only 22. I hope I didn't screw up my brain. I need it for the work I'm set to do (Engineering)
Congratulations on a month!!
Keep coming back!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are so young. I lost 15 years of not learning new things because I would rather get drunk. I feel you. You can't get back the past but you can make up for it.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

to some im very young as it stands your ten years younger than me

you will make a full recovery at 22 you have your life ahead of you sober many great things will come if you go and get them

at 22 your good to realise this so young wish i could of done that but at 32 i got my life in front of me

well done Savior
Old 11-13-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've found a pseudo-cure for this just now, actually.

In my journals, which I write in multiple times a day, I wrote a list of things that I want to accomplish tomorrow.
Lack of motivation is a result of being scared (so is drinking for some of us. It certainly was for me), being scared is a result of not knowing what in tar nation you're doing.
Thus, to become motivated, you must stop being scared. To stop being scared you must stop being disorderly in your actions.

I wrote down what I plan to accomplish tomorrow and why I want to accomplish it (Avoiding negative consequences of not doing them), and I'm quite excited now for what is to come!

I hope this helps someone else!

These journals have got to be the biggest life aid ever!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to not be too hard on yourself.

I think there are times in our lives when we accomplish a lot, and there are times when we appear to coast. But, I don't think we are really coasting. I have realized, that in the times when not much is happening on the outside, things are falling into place on the inside. My subconscious is at work and guiding me.

That said, I think lists are awesome and they give you a feeling of accomplishment.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took a while for me to regain motivation, drive and energy - but I did. Have faith - you will too SN

D