Notices

whats happening

Old 11-13-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

whats happening

hi

this might not sound as if its related to my alcoholism, but it is

it is for me, because I don't like how im feeling at moment, ive worked so hard on the steps lately, ive not had a day I feel really down for a few weeks now.

if im 100 percent honest I didn't feel right when I woke up today, but I continued my day as I have been doing.

heres the silly bit of the day which really p!ssed me off

we have a puppy, 17 week old chuwawa, she walks fine on her lead for my wife, I had to walk her home from my wifes parents house, she just wont walk for/with me, just drags her back legs, she did same last Thursday.

that's it, that's whats getting to me, I don't want to blow this out of proportion and f..k up my sobriety

I have no desire no obsession to drink, no thoughts of drinking, but I feel out of sorts

its actually a little better now ive typed that out, it looks/sounds silly

am I getting fear of rejection from a puppy?

I want to get back on track with step work, ive worked them everyday for 2 months now

thanks dave
Old 11-13-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi dave

I'm not a dog guy but it doesn't sound like a huge problem to me...I bet if you googled a bit you'd find some solutions...some of our members might even have some neat training tips.

I wouldn't let a chihuahua get to me, Dave

D
Old 11-13-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dave, I'm an alcoholic in recovery and I'm also a dog lover.

Two things I would suggest are:
1) If you feel anxiety towards the pup, she'll feel anxiety towards you. Do you play with her as well as walk her? Does she know you as a playmate as well as master? Do you feed her or does your wife always feed her? I mention these things because this sort of interaction all counts.
2) You love this little dog so let her know that without indulging her.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not a dog guy ...

D
And Dave, I wonder what Dee would do if she were a rottweiler? (As we know chihuahuas can be.)
Old 11-13-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks both of you

I actually felt much better after typing it out, I nearly didn't post it, as dee said " I wouldn't let a chihuahua get to me, "

thanks for the tips, no I don't feed her, I do play with her but I guess I could up that, and that's amazing that if I feel anxious she will feel it too

thanks

dave
Old 11-13-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fastfocus, it just sounds like you hit a point where small things can annoy. I have those days too. The feeling passes-just breathe.

As for the dog-I am dog person-bring some training treats with you (and this sounds gross but cut up bits of hotdogs work really well. They are nice and smelly and dogs love them. We use them at the shelter to train) when she digs in and doesn't want to walk any further, put a treat in front of her nose, let her follow for a bit before giving it to her and repeat. Eventually, you will just be giving her a treat after her walk.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi dave

I'm not a dog guy but it doesn't sound like a huge problem to me...I bet if you googled a bit you'd find some solutions...some of our members might even have some neat training tips.

D
D as small as they are dont ever underestimate a chihuahua they are the lions of dogs LOL i think the smaller the dog the bigger the bravery/insanity

I am a dog person the reason your dog is pulling its legs is either its tired or scared as its only young

either way hang in there my jack russell is a git all lovey dovey inside the house then action dog commando squad when were out he shouts on rottweiers pitbulls you name it its quite embarrasing and dangerous as some dont use leashes so its first thing in morning and last thing at night when its nice and quiet for my dog's walks now

rejection from a puppy ? dont worry you are that dogs dad set the greatest example and watch the love flow they cant talk but they can with expression

dont force it it will happen naturally good luck pm if you want
Old 11-13-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Carry treats with you when you walk the puppy. When she stops walking whip out a treat & make her walk towards it. When the puppy eats the treat, give lots of praise & be very playful about walking. If the puppy stops again, whip out another treat & make the puppy walk over to it. Repeat until the puppy realizes walks with you are fun! Make sure to use happy voices & be excited. Dogs feed off of our energy. :-)
Old 11-13-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi.
Often when I’m upset about something it ends up to be some sort of control issue. For me I identify it more easily now if I use the words “I WANT”

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

BE WELL
Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

take notice of how your felt by typing it out dave ???

thats how things work for me in growing i go to aa meetings and share what ever it is that might be causing me discomfort and the moment i open my mouth its like it goes away from me or the problem just doesnt seem to be such a big deal

i call my sponsor up and i get that same feeling of release, thankfully today i dont need to do it like i once had to do it in early days but it was one of the first things i came to believe in
shareing it halfs it
share it often enough and it really does help me

as for the dog my ex girlfirend had a lovely dog it was a jack russell and i was a bit jealous of how much that dog loved her as the dog would never leave her alone, if i tried to take her out for a walk or anyone tried for that matter the dog wouldn not let you go near her to put the lead on only my ex could

the greetings that dog used to give her was amazing she would jump high up into the air at her everytime she seen her or she came back from work etc

anyway i just kept on trying to stroke her and in the end she did trust me enough to let me put her lead on and sure enough later on when i would come in she would jump up at me just like it did with my ex

the ultimate was the day i opened my car door and the dog ran in the car to be with me the dog would never go anywhere without my ex being with her

it took a couple of months to get the dog to accept me and for it to trust me like it did with my ex

that dog still lives in my memory to the point i am thinking i am going to get one myself as i have never seen such a loving animal in my life
now if only my ex would of jumped up high to be in my arms whenever i came in from work lol
well she wouldnt be my ex anymore if that was the case lol

i miss that dog more than i do her and i joke with her about that as we are still good friends : )
Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Totally agree with the treats. I can get my dog to almost talk for a treat
Old 11-13-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A problem shared is a problem cut in half!

Many times I have found just sharing something, even if it seems minor, can help defuse the frustration I feel with the issue. Just getting it out in the universe has helped me so many times.

It is like I open my mind and the thought flutters out and does not bother me anymore.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

All our experiences are mirrors to us.

I just got a puppy last Sunday - 8 weeks old, a little fur ball, constantly curious and in motion, requiring vigilance.

I realize that I expect more from him than he is able to accomplish. I realize that I expect more from myself than I am able to accomplish.

As soon as I relax with him and accept that he's doing absolutely great, even with the occasional piddle on the floor, I see how magnificent he is. It is when I distort things by wanting him to be in a different place than he is that I get tense.

So yes, treats and love radiating out to him, and also all of us treating ourselves with that same generosity and patience... trying to keep up on our little sober legs...