Notices

Brain overload

Old 11-12-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain overload

Anyone ever been at work and gone from feeling like your totally on top of things, to feeling ridiculously inept and getting nowhere?

This has happened to me today, and also, a lot of ideas and solutions (and also dilemmas) I think about in my own head, I can never articulate properly when talking to staff I manage, or my own manager.

I am also not very good at taking criticism, it usually results in me over analysing a particular aspect of my role and how I am performing in that area. I will analyse to an unhealthy point.

I sometimes question my own ability and also seek for guidance from my manager however, I sometimes come away feeling more confused than what I first was!!
Old 11-12-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there Stewy
Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Early days, Stewy, take it easy.

I run my own business, and have found business courses/books/videos very helpful in dealing with people and fending of criticism. It's all technique at the end of the day.

There's plenty on the net.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fending off criticism sounds just the thing I need to do but I get tongue tied at the wrong moments and end up feeling like I've "lost" the argument ( it's usually just a conversation)

I'll have a look on the internet

Managing is a minefield, you win some, you lose some

Least I'm sober eh, that's the main target at present
Old 11-12-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hang in there stewy
Old 11-12-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sometimes I have good and bad days at work, dust yourself off and go at it again tomorrow!!

Hang in there Stewy!!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things get better Stewy.

None of us would stay in recovery if the best we could hope for was blitheting idiocy

Give your mind and body a chance to heal...

D
Old 11-12-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Stewy, I know exactly what you mean. I'm not really a vocal communicator. I'm better with written communication.

When confronted with vocal criticism, I'm very busy listening and processing what I'm hearing. What I'm not doing is couching replies. I have to walk away and come back later with preparation. "Can we get together later on this?" is one of my pat responses.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To be honest, the longer I have been sober the better organised my brain is, especially at work.

I find the whole work thing hard anyway.
I'm not good with criticism, I read and re-read emails to see if there is a hidden meaning, I often don't stand up for myself and I lack confidence. I am also the same as you at verbal reasoning too.

I also work on my own, so I have plenty of time with my own company to over think things.

Have you ever researched into unhealthy thinking and the different types there are of it?

That sometimes helps me in the other analysing situations.
I try not to blow things out of proportion and do too much black and white thinking.

I do think the bad way I handle work, resulted in some of my heavy drinking in the past. It was a way of escaping.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all,

My brains seems to latch on to a specific nugget of information so yesterday it was a piece of criticism.

I then filtered everything else that was said and forgot about it focussing solely on the criticism.

Then I ruminated, then I continued to ruminate, and now I'm here the next morning thinking "I'm going to have to do the work that will lead to getting the approval that will lead to the original point of criticism not being valid anymore"

Instead if actually continuing to tread my own path in work.

I've also started to become demoralised and question ability. Plus you get given advice from your manager however sometimes you just get frustrated as it can be half hearted