Notices

Alone on Thanksgiving

Old 11-12-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alone on Thanksgiving

Due to a variety of reasons, I am spending Thanksgiving all alone. I can always watch the Cowboys or the Lions play football, but...

I am trying to mentally prepare. Any ideas how to make it thru the day without drinking, being depressed, etc.

I even called around to do volunteer work and there is no need for more volunteers!!

Maybe I will dress up like a turkey and go hang out with the surviving real turkeys
Old 11-12-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Artfriend. Have you tried the Salvation Army, meals on wheels, or your local food bank. I'm down here in Austin and all those places are still needing a lot of help.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Make it a you day. Pamper yourself. Alone time can be precious. Oh, and don't forget to come and hang out here. We will be waiting for you !
Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find it sad when charitable agencies turn away people who would like to help. It seems to me they can always use one more person to greet people or help with clean up. I've experienced some of that where I live, too.

I like the idea of making it a 'you' day. Have you seen "Gone Girl" at the movies? If not, check it out.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CristinaN View Post
Hi Artfriend. Have you tried the Salvation Army, meals on wheels, or your local food bank. I'm down here in Austin and all those places are still needing a lot of help.
All of the places that need volunteers here go through a centralized phone bank that is divided by counties. So you call one main number, they take your information and then tell you who needs what. They said no one needs help because there are too many people volunteering. Seems incredible to me.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been alone most holidays for the past 10 years, that being said this will be the first sober. Being that I go to meetings I'm sure I'll be joining some of my new friends for the holidays. It is something that can be said if you go to meetings and get out of yourself, there is always a friendly face with a smile there for you. Surround yourself with those that have what you want.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I find it sad when charitable agencies turn away people who would like to help. It seems to me they can always use one more person to greet people or help with clean up. I've experienced some of that where I live, too.

I like the idea of making it a 'you' day. Have you seen "Gone Girl" at the movies? If not, check it out.
No, haven't seen it, but want to. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Toys For Tots is begging for help here. I'd skip the local central number and try some direct calls.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bummer, ArtFriend.

Have you mentioned to any of your birthday friends that you will be alone? Do you feel that you could be safely sober at any of their homes? I have a single friend whose family lives out of town and I usually check with her when I am hosting a holiday to make sure she has plans but I also love it when she calls me and says "Hey, can I join you guys?"
Old 11-12-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just had that same idea Turtle guy. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Bummer, ArtFriend.

Have you mentioned to any of your birthday friends that you will be alone? Do you feel that you could be safely sober at any of their homes? I have a single friend whose family lives out of town and I usually check with her when I am hosting a holiday to make sure she has plans but I also love it when she calls me and says "Hey, can I join you guys?"
Hey SoberLeigh, can I join you guys?

I didn't ask if I could join my friends just because I don't want to feel like Little Orphan ArtFriend. It is more about me than them. I am sure they would welcome me.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My sister does a couple of things when she cannot make it home for turkey day. One is call your local pet shelters. They have a hard time rounding up volunteers on the holidays. She always volunteers at hers.

The other is the nursing homes or call a church and find out if their shut ins need a visit. There are many nursing home patients who don't have family to come and visit them on Thanksgiving. Many are overjoyed to see a visitor. We went a few years ago and handed out little pumpkins that were dressed like turkeys that my little DD had decorated and played some dominos with a few folks. It was nice.

Go see a movie, or better yet, pop some popcorn, put on your jammies and watch Christmas movies! Who cannot laugh at the Elf?

Go shopping (I think the stores open in the evenings)

Hope this helps. Above all else, be able to say the day after that YOU STAYED SOBER!!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I worked in the restaurant business for a long time and know that thanksgiving is a huge day. You cant believe the number of people that go out to eat on thanksgiving. Most of the nice places have a prefix turkey menu. Why not go with someone or even go by yourself? Wake up get some exercise and build up a nice appetite and go out to eat. By the time you get home the games will be on and you can kick back and watch them. Maybe go out a few days prior and round up some snacks. I always like to splurge on fancy cheese and crackers. Get a whole bunch and prepare a snack plate so you can keep busy eating while your watching. Buy some apple cider to go with it. Make it fun and different. It could become your annual thanksgiving routine and certainly something to look forward to.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

My home AA group is having a meeting at noon and then Thanksgiving dinner at one specifically for this reason--people who are early in recovery and need someone to be with on Thanksgiving Day. I would guess in a city as big as Dallas there is at least one group doing the same.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Toys For Tots is begging for help here. I'd skip the local central number and try some direct calls.
I'd go this direction. Can't believe anyone would turn down a helping hand during the holidays. You might have better luck calling a direct number or trying the Chamber of Commerce. They always are up on local events that need support.

Nursing homes are also a great idea...
Old 11-12-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The nursing home idea is great. Many folks in nursing homes have only out of town family members and rarely have a visitor and are extremely lonely. Some of them congregate at the elevators and just stare at the doors.

It is extremely sad. I sat and talked with one such woman quite often after my Mom went to bed. One day she asked, "Can I go home with you; I promise I will be good."

And I love the idea of bringing pumpkins, especially small ones; quite a few of the people in Mom's nursing home carried the pumpkins on their laps in their wheelchairs for days and days.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Not sure if you like/dislike or even care about AA. But, either way - there will be Tday meetings. I will be attending one as well......can't wait to give thanks for my sobriety!!

Maybe this, or just something out of your comfort zone!!
Ring the bell for salvation army on Tday.....tis the season!!

What if you took the attitude, of I need to help someone this Tday who may be feeling alone?? Seek and ye shall find..... That person may or may not be you.

I invited a military guy over for Tday last year.....many that are stationed somewhere and alone.

Dress up like santa and go visit the children's ward of a hospital.....hand out a few lollipops!!

FlyN
Old 11-12-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i remember my first xmas alone and sober

i managed to get to an aa meeting and help out there as they had all sorts of food going and trying to get tramps in off the steets to feed them up that kind of thing i certainly forgot i was alone when i was doing that

i started to see how lucky i am that i am sober and not in there shoes as they didnt have a warm home to go to

my kids were in social services care my ex wife had gone off with another drunk as i had tried to give up drink in order to get life back and she just wasnt ready for it

i knew i had to do somthing over xmas as i would of cracked up if i stayed indoors feeling sorry for myself that i am all alone

today of course i have my kids back and its me and them, they dont know really how much i love them and how much i am so grateful i have them around me as i know what it was like to not have them around me

so all i can say is get out there to an aa meeting and be with people who would be like me who was also alone and together you will not be alone anymore ; )
Old 11-12-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Volunteer Center of North Texas

TMMSN Home - The Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network

Hands On Central Texas

Texas Association of Volunteer Centers | OneStar Foundation

Central Texas Volunteer Guide - Community Impact Newspaper

Artfriend i hope this helps there is a lot to choose from hope you find something from these links
Old 11-12-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I second the idea of visiting people in nursing homes. There are many who don't get regular visitors and would be delighted to visit with you. For my Tgiving I'm going to the assisted living place my mom lived in for over two years. I will visit with one of the ladies and have dinner with them.