Notices

Day 15 & I have noticed a few things....

Old 11-12-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Day 15 & I have noticed a few things....

In the past, I have told my husband many times that I had stopped drinking. Only to resume again a few days later. He would never stop asking me if I wanted something from the liquor store & eventually I would lose my resolve.

This time around instead of making a formal announcement (like I have done before), I just stopped. Everytime my DH asked me if I wanted something from the liquor store, I would simply decline or ask for a soda. Just the other day he asked me again & that's when I took the opportunity to tell him I didn't want to drink anymore. He looked at me & said, "I noticed. I just ask you in the case you want a soda. But I have noticed you're seriously not drinking." Then he went on to say that he is thinking about not drinking & making that his New Year's resolution (we'll see how that works).

I have realized that I do indeed have an addictive personality. Now I get it, I have no sense of moderation. It really hit me that alcohol is no longer an option for me. I'm not upset about it, in a way I am relieved.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

JT that was beautiful
Old 11-12-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Sober Wolf....coming from you that is a huge compliment!
Old 11-12-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by JT0626 View Post
It really hit me that alcohol is no longer an option for me. I'm not upset about it, in a way I am relieved.
It was for me too. I remember doing some early recovery work, really looking at my drinking and its impact on those around me. And it dawned on me--in a way that only can when sobriety is starting to sink it--That I had never been a "normal" drinker, was never was going to be a normal drinker, and therefore, could never drink. Ever.

It was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I have realized that I do indeed have an addictive personality. Now I get it, I have no sense of moderation. It really hit me that alcohol is no longer an option for me. I'm not upset about it, in a way I am relieved.

I feel exactly the same way, JT.

When I realised, it was a like a big rock had fallen off my shoulders. At least something is certain, at last.

It's a place to work from, isn't it ?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good for you!!!!

Years ago when I "quit" I would make the formal announcement;
Attention, may I have your attention please.....FlynBuy has quite drinking......(wait for the applause which were sure to come....)

This means no drinking, ever again! In fact, I think it best if everyone quits as well! Not for me, but for themselves and the good of all!!!

I would then ride my High Horse into the barn, pat him and the head and think.....well, maybe ever and never is really what I intended to say...hmmmm. Ah, em - correction - taking a little break in the action folks.....

When I stopped and actually started working a plan of ACTION awhile back, others noticed. I did not make it on the nightly news this time

Great Job, Great decision!!
All who are sober on here today = WINNERS!!!

FlyN
Old 11-12-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

JT0626 . . . great post. I've told my wife on several occasions "I swear, I am never drinking again". And of course a few days later I was getting drunk after she went to bed.

This time I just quit. I haven't even discussed it with her yet. I'm just focusing on my health, and taking it one day at a time.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Good for you!!!!

Years ago when I "quit" I would make the formal announcement;
Attention, may I have your attention please.....FlynBuy has quite drinking......(wait for the applause which were sure to come....)

This means no drinking, ever again! In fact, I think it best if everyone quits as well! Not for me, but for themselves and the good of all!!!

I would then ride my High Horse into the barn, pat him and the head and think.....well, maybe ever and never is really what I intended to say...hmmmm. Ah, em - correction - taking a little break in the action
folks.....

When I stopped and actually started working a plan of ACTION awhile back, others noticed. I did not make it on the nightly news this time

Great Job, Great decision!!
All who are sober on here today = WINNERS!!!

FlyN
OMG, this was so me when I would make my formal announcements too! All I would do is end up making an ass out of myself. This time I decided to let my success speak for me.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

. . . .

That's a huge realization, JT. Realizing and accepting that moderation was not possible and that alcohol had absolutely nothing good to offer me was a huge part of my recovery.

Way to go, girl, and congratulations on 15 days!!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
That's a huge realization, JT. Realizing and accepting that moderation was not possible and that alcohol had absolutely nothing good to offer me was a huge part of my recovery.

Way to go, girl, and congratulations on 15 days!!!!
Thanks so much SoberLeigh. I am feeling so good about myself that I don't want to mess this up! I have lost 3lbs since I stopped drinking. I am feeling great & less bloated. I even believe I look better.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are lookin' good to us, JT.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fantastic post JT!!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on over two weeks sober! I'm glad you have your husband's support.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is exactly what I needed to see. I stopped (again) on Sat AM (yes, I was morning drinking, wasn't pretty). Long story short, I have not told my wife about this time stopping. I need to prove to myself that I can do it, and I don't want her to think I'm crying wolf yet again. If I can make it through a weekend and a couple work events I have in the next week or so, I want to sit down and discuss this with her, but like y'all have said above, I need actions to speak louder than words. This weekend we have 2 parties to go to, and I want to show that I can act my normal self without the booze. I'm not announcing anything about it, but I bet she'll notice and it'll be better than any proclamation I could make
Old 11-12-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on over two weeks sober! I'm glad you have your husband's support.
Yes, even though my husband is a drinker he is not the type to purposely sabotage my efforts. We had a good conversation last night & I was telling him that I am feeling better physically now that I am not drinking. I also want to lose these extra 70lbs that I gained fooling around with alcohol. I can't wait to get hot again!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great post JT!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by toooldfratguy View Post
This is exactly what I needed to see. I stopped (again) on Sat AM (yes, I was morning drinking, wasn't pretty). Long story short, I have not told my wife about this time stopping. I need to prove to myself that I can do it, and I don't want her to think I'm crying wolf yet again. If I can make it through a weekend and a couple work events I have in the next week or so, I want to sit down and discuss this with her, but like y'all have said above, I need actions to speak louder than words. This weekend we have 2 parties to go to, and I want to show that I can act my normal self without the booze. I'm not announcing anything about it, but I bet she'll notice and it'll be better than any proclamation I could make
Yesssss!!!! Do it!!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by toooldfratguy View Post
I need to prove to myself that I can do it, and I don't want her to think I'm crying wolf yet again.
I understand the not wanting to "Cry Wolf" thing. I also understand that by not telling her, there is no accountability to her and if you should slip at the upcoming events, no harm, no foul.

Drinking events are tough in early sobriety. If you tell your wife she might understand not going...if that is something you decide.

Either way, good luck.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 15 days JT..and great post.

Carl makes a few good points there frat guy...there's not telling people...and then there's making changes to our lifestyle.

D
Old 11-12-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

doggone - Completely see your point. However for me personally when I've stopped previously, it's because I was told to, or else. This time is the first time I've wanted to, because I wanted to. No one is forcing me, or angry at me, etc. etc. And from everything I've read, that is the only way this will work. I'm doing this for my wife/kids/family, but most of all, for me.