Notices

NA vs. AA

Old 11-11-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NA vs. AA

It has taken me years to admit that I have a drinking problem, and that I cannot manage my life with alcohol. However, I am finding it very difficult to admit that I may (in fact, not even "may," but "with absolute certainty") need help with my Ambien addiction as well.

I have been looking up information online about NA, and I will admit to being confused. I don't truly understand the difference. In AA meetings I have heard people introduce themselves as "alcoholics and addicts" and I have heard people introduce themselves as just "addicts." Which always make me wonder why they are in AA, not NA.

Any help in explaining this to me, or just offering a little advice on what to expect in an NA meeting would be greatly appreciated. I know that I need help for my pill addiction, but I'm finding it so incredibly hard to admit that out loud to anyone/take any steps to do anything about it.

Because then I'd actually have to quit.

And I've already given up alcohol.

(At least that's what my addict brain says. That's how my addict brain justifies the continued dependence on it).

What would I do without my one last crutch, the one thing left that makes me feel okay? (Forget sleeping; I take Ambien for the "high" that I get for about 20 minutes to an hour after using it. I feel almost instant relaxation, mild euphoria, and relief that lasts anywhere from a few minutes to an hour.) It's ridiculous to chase that high, but I am having so much trouble saying no to it.

Anyway, years ago the very first person who talked to me about AA was also an addict. He said to me, in no uncertain terms, "I don't go to NA because the people there are the worst." He proceeded to tell me all these horror stories about the crowd that you would find in NA. Not only were they not welcoming (according to him) but they were also very likely to rip you off/hurt you/drag you into a crime world. He made it sound like the seediest, creepiest place you could ever find yourself -- and he warned me away. He asked me point blank if I had a drug problem (at the time I did not) and told me to consider myself lucky. He also said that it was very common for alcoholics to develop that cross addiction and that, if I did, I should never go to NA for it.

I'm sure this can't all be true. I guess I just wanted some advice from someone who has been to NA. Is it similar to AA?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

all experiences and locations are not the same
Old 11-11-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The scariest thing for me about going to AA and NA is that I found people just like me. Ironically, the same people I saw in AA meetings were the same folks showing up at NA.

The most amazing thing about AA and NA is that I was welcomed, wasn't judged, and they showed genuine concern for me, my well being and my recovery.

The notion that NA is for criminals and people out to use you and AA is somehow a safe environment because their issues were alcohol is not my experience, at all.

This pot-smoking benzo booze hound found sobriety and friendship in both groups, and helped me achieve the four years of sobriety I celebrated on October 15.

Go figure.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, Memphis. I really appreciate it. Do you find you go to more AA or NA meetings? I've looked at my local directory and there appears to be very few NA meetings in my area.

Congrats on your four years.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by GettingClean9 View Post
Anyway, years ago the very first person who talked to me about AA was also an addict. He said to me, in no uncertain terms, "I don't go to NA because the people there are the worst." He proceeded to tell me all these horror stories about the crowd that you would find in NA. Not only were they not welcoming (according to him) but they were also very likely to rip you off/hurt you/drag you into a crime world. He made it sound like the seediest, creepiest place you could ever find yourself -- and he warned me away. He asked me point blank if I had a drug problem (at the time I did not) and told me to consider myself lucky. He also said that it was very common for alcoholics to develop that cross addiction and that, if I did, I should never go to NA for it.

I'm sure this can't all be true.
Even if it were true for this person, it's a sample of one of millions who have been to NA meetings over the years. People say a lot of things about NA, AA, and just about every other recovery method there is. It's largely irrelevant though in relation to your actual experience. Why not just go to a meeting and see for yourself?
Old 11-11-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

GettingClean, I find AA is all inclusive as rarely are today's members issues relate only to alcohol, but I respect the singleness of purpose and identify as an alcoholic in meetings and when I share I keep my topic to alcohol and spirituality.

Perhaps since you are only a few weeks clean of alcohol, it still may be the root of your problem?

I started smoking pot at 14 and did so for 40 years, and in the beginning I disdained alcohol, but when I finally got sober -- and it was benzos that brought me to my knees -- I read the Big Book and discovered it was alcoholism at the root of my drug use. Somewhat paradoxical, but if you read the book you might gain the same insight.

An open mind and walking into an AA meeting might be your best shot. I would lend zero credence to your friend's comments about NA.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Been to plenty of both kinds of meetings over the last 12 years in cities all over Texas, and they're the exact same program as far as I can see. Though I identify as an alcoholic normally because vodka and wine were my drug of choice, when I'm in an NA meeting I always introduce myself as an addict because I was addicted to alcohol and it is the wording preferred by NA tradition.

And as the NA "How It Works" that is read at the start of every meeting says, "Alcohol is a drug." Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. So identifying myself as an alcoholic at an NA meeting means that I'm trying to say alcohol is different from other drugs. And it's not. My wrecked life is proof positive of that.

I think the whole "alcoholic vs. addict" thing used to be a big deal in AA circles but nowadays I don't think anyone really cares. They're all drugs--beer, pot, vodka, cocaine, wine, meth, etc. So in my mind all alcoholics are also addicts--they're just addicted to alcohol--whereas not all addicts are alcoholics. But the 12 Steps work for both, so I don't have an issue with someone in an AA meeting identifying themselves as an addict.

And as for NA members somehow being the criminal class or something, that's a load of hooey. The exact same folks that haunt the rooms of AA are the ones you'll find in NA meetings. There are great people in both and also some sick people you need to steer way clear of.

Though it doesn't really pertain to what you asked, I will say that in some ways I actually like NA a bit more than AA simply because I think the NA literature is much better-written. It carries the same messages as the "Big Book" and "12 and 12" but is just more up-to-date and just plain easier to read. Whoever wrote it was a better writer than Bill Wilson, though of course pretty much everything in the NA literature is just a rewrite of the aforementioned "Big Book" and "12 and 12." Just an easier-to-read and relate to update, in my humble opinion.

I'm currently attending AA meetings on a daily basis because the AA groups in the area I'm living in now are much more active than the NA groups here. I have my choice of seven or eight different AA meetings this evening whereas the only local NA group only has four meetings a week. But if the NA program here was more active, there's a decent chance I'd be attending those meetings daily instead, even though alcohol was my drug of choice.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic addictionary
Who in AA introduce myself alcoholic
Been to both Programs
A
More people get and stay sober in AA
MM
Old 11-11-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am a sleeping pill popping lush as well! I am in AA but, I found a sponsor I could talk to about my addiction as well. Many alcoholics abuse drugs before they become sober. I attended NA first but the meetings were few and far between. There is a lot more diversity in AA in my area. I find that a lot of people attend both. But many AA'ers are biased against NA and vice versa. It's human nature I guess. I personally find AA a bit more formal, which I prefer.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in AA and my problem is almost exclusively alcohol but when I got stuck a few times without an AA meeting, I went to an NA one and found them very similar. And equally helpful, actually.

Each fellowship and each group has it's own characteristics. In one AA meeting I attend, there are a few sticklers who get their hackles up when you talk about a drug addiction. Same with one NA group re alcohol. However, those are the only two out of about a dozen different ones I attend or have attended. At least half of the people in my AA home group are dual addicted and introduce themselves as alcoholics and addicts and talk openly about both. I have found, almost overwhelmingly, support from each fellowship if you're serious about recovery. Certainly don't let one meeting (or group) or one person's impressions stop you from trying different meetings in both fellowships to see where you are most comfortable. May be both. Nothing wrong with that either. As we say, whatever works!

Good luck to you and so glad you're here!