Notices

Got to stop

Old 11-11-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got to stop

I had wine over the week-end and it just keeps going....Fri, Sat, Sun & Monday...I was doing good and then I just kind of gave up. I'm posting now because it seems to help me start new, I need to not have any wine tonight. I have been listening to my AV, just one glass, blah blah, well that one glass was a bottle of red & white last night. I'll just need to log on and keep posting tonight. I have to read some of the great posts here that reinforce the positives of sobriety and I feel so good not drinking, I don't know why I continue, its insane. I feel like I'm wasting everyone's time here, I know what to do I just need to do it. I know nothing good comes from alcohol, I know I do not need alcohol in my life, I accept that I have a problem and it isn't going to get better....
Thanks for letting me vent, I think I need to step up a plan to include more than just SR.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your plan to step up your plan sounds like a plan Magellan

welcome back

D
Old 11-11-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Magellan. Sounds like you know what you need to do, and that is a good start!

Let us know when/if you are struggling. That's what we're here for...
Old 11-11-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was noticing your profile pic and it made me think;

If you're tired of starting over; surrender.

That's what I did.

Surrendered my resistance.

Accepted sobriety.

Embraced the blessing that it is.

Surrendered my resistance to help with AA.

Surrendered my thoughts of 'maybe one day'

Gave in.

Maybe to stop starting over, you need to give up....
Old 11-11-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like the Nike slogan says, you've got to "just do it"!!! Make up your mind that you will not drink tonight. Accept the fact that the first week will probably suck, and make a commitment that you will not break, no matter what! Have a strategy prepared for how you will deal with frustration. Find other activities to occupy your time. Finally, post on SR as much as possible! You CAN DO THIS!!!!
Old 11-11-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I dont like ppl thinking thier wasting ppl's time it took me 3 months to get sober it takes some decadpes some not at all i hate this Addiction/Illness/Disease we have all suffered what your going through we want to be there for you but more than anything be there
for yourself and dont ever think your wasting anyones time your not your trying to get your life back and i respect that x 5000%

what your doing is facing up to your drinking problem and i can only say keep trying make this the last time its highly possible just do not drink no matter what realise what its doing and stop

you dont want to feel like this do you ?
Old 11-11-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my humble opinion a relapse if not a failure. It is a learning experience, to get to understand the triggers, your emotions, and fine tuning your plan.

Lean on the supportive folks on SR, take the recommendations that vibrate with you the most. This is your plan, your recovery.

Chin up, get back up and fight back
Old 11-11-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
I had wine over the week-end and it just keeps going....Fri, Sat, Sun & Monday...I was doing good and then I just kind of gave up.
There lies the danger of relapse. It allows the addiction to set it's hooks in you again. Now the positives of sobriety seem so elusive.

They don't have to be. Quit drinking and find a recovery process that will sustain your choice of sobriety. You are thinking about a plan? As you go though the options, trying to decide on a plan, a process, think on this: the one that makes you the most uncomfortable is probably the one to pick. Because right now, you don't need comfortable; you need help, because doing it on your own isn't working.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fall down seven times stand up eight. Get up and don't drink.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Look at all the other times you tried to quit as practice for the big game. If you have any alcohol in your house, dump it out now. Set a plan for what to do today when the urge hits. Come here, post read etc....You CAN do this.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

We're all here for you, you're not wasting anyone's time, don't ever think that.

I had many, many relapses over the last 10 years, until I finally decided that however hard it was, I was going to give up. I'm on 31 days now, so something must be working at last.

As it happened, it is hard, but it's nowhere near as hard as I thought it was going to be, it takes planning and help, but you already know that.

You could consider going to an AA meeting today. Even if you don't stick with AA, it is a place where people will understand and accept you.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can do this Magellan!! Change up your plan and go at things again!!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
learning to live

Mag - You are not wasting anyone's time here! I have been down that road more times than I like to remember.

Write down exactly what made you drink each time then comprise a plan for each situation.

Example - AV says just one. To do in this instance: AV always says just one and keep a journal and reflect to the last time you drank to "just have one"

Example - I was aggravated/had anxiety/was sad etc etc and make and keep a plan each time.

Even if you have to just go to sleep or take a walk til the urge passes just do that. It WILL pass and it WONT kill you. With me it usually lasts like half an hour to two hours. It's just uncomfortable as you go through it but EVERY SINGLE time you make it past each occasion you will be so happy you did.

Nobody ever said, "dang I wish I woulda drank last night" specially us!! hang in there and you CAN DO THIS! It is as simple as ending the habit/cycle through a few uneasy times and it is so worth it most days. Picking up alcohol for me is pure insanity. I expected something different each relapse (well my AV convinced me) and ALWAYS ended back right where you are now.

My thoughts are with you. Remember always come to SR. How about the 24 hour thread? Promise to 24 hours each day. That's helped me. Believe me this go round I have more bad days than good but I know now drinking will just make those bad days worse. You can end that madness ANY time you wish. YOU are in control of that. HUGGGGSSS!!!

Remember you are NOT ALONE in this fight. We can win! Millions have!!!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Get that first day on the board again, feel the momentum build & pull you in the right direction. You can do it!
Old 11-11-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Looks like you and I are off to the same start. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Charlie- let's keep it going! I will get through Day #1, through the hard part, didn't run out to the store and dinner is about ready, the stories/games with kids and bedtime and on to day#2. Let's check in tomorrow!
Remember....nothing good comes from alcohol, we don't need alcohol to live.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi Magellan -

I agree with FreeOwl quite a bit. I am a competitor. I've been in many races and don't like to lose. When I am in those last miles I am telling myself "Don't give up!".

But, for me, alcoholism was different. It wasn't about how much I tried to will myself sober, it was actually the opposite. I had to realize that my brain - my way of thinking - was wrong with respect to alcohol. I had to look around and just start doing what successful recovering alcoholics were doing, even when it didn't make sense to me. Fake it until I made it, so to speak.

What this meant for me was that I needed to spend a lot of time on SR, go to AA meetings, get a sponsor, go out and work with other alcoholics, get a sponsee, speak to other AA groups, go into hospitals and share my story, etc. I had to take action but my action wasn't to stop drinking, but rather to do things that changed how I thought about the world and this led to my being able to stop drinking and not relapse.

So, I never want you to give up, but sometimes you do need to acknowledge that something is much more powerful that you are and it is about taking action, not just will power, to maintain your sobriety. Really glad you are here.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

One minute at a time becomes one day at a time. You can do it. Today is my 9th sober day and I keep thinking one won't hurt but I know it will turn into 2, 3, 4.....
Old 11-11-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 1 down. Kids are asleep. And I'm going to bed sober. It'll be nice to wake up without being groggy. Wasn't too bad tonight. G'nite all!