Notices

Recovery

Old 11-10-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery

Hello,

Since mid-2007, I have drank about 4 liters of vodka every week. I am a 32 year-old male, 5-11 and 185.

It has been worse recently. About six months ago, I started experiencing what I think were withdrawal symptoms early afternoon. Perhaps it was something else, but it is impossible for my doctor to know because I am still drinking.

Before about June, I never had any problem waiting until whenever I got home (7-8 pm usually, but not infrequently 11pm+) to start drinking. But lately, I wake up nauseous, exhausted, legs unsteady, lump in my throat, and start to sweat and have even more unsteady hands by mid-afternoon. I am generally nauseous all the time now. My upper-central back also hurts, and I have had what I believe is neuropathy in my legs for about a year, and it seems to be creeping upwards (feet in January - up to knees in both legs now; always present but worst in the morning).

My doctor thinks it is withdrawals, and though I am not completely in agreement with him (I recognize that I am probably irresponsibly holding out hope it is something else, even though that something else could be much worse), I agree that it makes a hell of a lot of sense to at least try to eliminate drinking as a potential source.

I have benzo's from my doctor that I have never taken, but intend to and plan to do my best on a long 5-day weekend (this or next) with tons of soup, Gatorade, Thiamin and B12. If anyone has gone through an experience similar to mine, I would really appreciate any advice.

I have a bad habit of ignoring things I am not excited about seeing, but I will do my best to respond to any messages. If you do message me or respond, thank you, and please bear with me if I do not respond right away.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Can't help with specifics, but my body was giving me 'signals' for years before i listened.

Thankfully i survived the years of abuse

Life is much better without alcohol- although if someone had told me that before i got sober i would not have believed it
Old 11-10-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you Sanfran - welcome to a great place for support & friendship.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support and understanding.

If your withdrawal gets bad, go to the ER or a doctor, please.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I was a litre of vodka a day person if not more sometimes

in the end it was 2 fires one of them nearly killed me i had a CT scan for wet brain

Gastroenteritis was normal i would continue like this for the last 3 years and vomiting blood became normal lots of ppl die from that too i cant tell you how lucky i am

nearly 16 months sober 3.5 years clean from cocaine

my life is a lot lot better sober and i wish i done this sooner
Old 11-10-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI and welcome SanFran - you'll find a lot of support here

If you're not completely satisfied with your Drs diagnosis, or even if you're just a little insure that there may be something else going on, why not get a 2nd opinion?

D
Old 11-10-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like you drank a similar amount to me. I was a 35 year-old male, good shape, 6-0 and 190lbs when the shakes and anxiety started hitting me in the mid afternoons at work. Usually had the morning sweats pretty bad but by mid-afternoon it was hard to write with a pen clearly on paper. You see, that's when the vodka wears off.

A year later the withdrawal seizures came calling. Someday, somewhere, you're going to be in a place where you don't get your fix. For me it was when I was traveling. Out of nowhere I collapsed in a heap and lost consiousness, nearly bit my tongue off. Had 3 more grand mal withdrawal seizures before I called it quits and got help. My family and friends all watch me go through this life-threatening situation and could not believe I continued to drink. I couldn't believe it either, but I did. And payed the price.

Be careful with the meds - and be careful going cold turkey here. Nothing wrong with getting some professional medical advice when you are quitting a habit this heavy.

In my experience, I wouldn't have listened to someone telling me to quit. In your case, maybe you can stop drinking now and save yourself some pain and hardship. FYI - ambulance rides aren't cheap. Be safe when you do quit, and I hope that's very soon. There's never a good time to quit, so you just have to rip off the band-aid and do it, even if you are kicking and screaming. Good luck and welcome, keep posting, reading, and asking questions.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Sanfran49, welcome.

When I was at my worse, I consumed a 5th of Vodka a day, and I did experience several of the symptoms that you have described. Most notably, the shakes.

Mine became bad enough that I started having a few nips of vodka right out of bed just to keep them at bay, before I got down to the 'real' drinking. I've also had many night sweats over the past few years.

Once I stopped drinking, and went though a week of withdrawals, all of that cleared up shortly afterwards.

If you're quitting, and find it a bit tough, you've found a great site for support. I hope to see you around.

Good luck with the 5 dayer. The benzos should help. I went cold turkey, but knowing what I know now, I would have opted to have been under supervision during that time.

Lusher
Old 11-10-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think you are right. My problem is that as long as I continue drinking, I'm not sure how I can say that he is wrong. And that brings up the bigger issue. So I will have to find a time to stop drinking.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bigsombrero - I can't send a private message because I have not submitted enough posts, but if you would not mind sending me a message, I would really appreciate the opportunity to talk with you (briefly through forum messages or whatever medium you prefer). Apologies for the public request but not sure how else to do it. I have been putting this off for far too long and need to get my stuff together.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Sanfran49 View Post
So I will have to find a time to stop drinking.
For me the only time that worked was now. I planned to quit tomorrow or next week more time than I can count, but tomorrow never came. Welcome to SR, I hope you can make time to stop sooner rather than later.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am on day 3 and it is not easy as the AWS are still hard. Decided to go cold turkey as it is best for me. I hope this rough road will remind me to stay sober in the future. Good luck and keep coming to this site as the support is fantastic.