Notices

AA Chip Question

Old 11-10-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
getting there

AA Chip Question

Hi everyone,

I have a question about AA chips. I have my one-year sobriety anniversary next Tuesday, and while I've sort of been in and out of AA meetings I don't have a homegroup and don't go regularly (I follow a different program). I had a meeting with my counselor today and she suggested that I go to a meeting to get my one-year chip, even though I'm not heavily involved.

My question is whether that is frowned upon, since I don't use AA as my primary program. Is it normal to just show up and get a chip?
Old 11-10-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no idea but congrats on that year CG!

D
Old 11-10-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

I say do it. We had a person show up for his first AA meeting ever in one of my groups and he had six months sober the week before, we gave him a six month chip.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

All groups are different. In my home group, we only give chips to group members celebrating an anniversary. In another group I attended, we gave out plastic chips to newcomers up till their first year, and everyone else got a marble (the line was, "Keep comin' back until you get ALL your marbles back").

The nice metal chips cost the group about three bucks each, so it's easy to understand why they are only given to home group members.

But why not go to a meeting to celebrate your anniversary anyway? Chip or no chip, you will get a nice warm round of applause. And if having a chip is important to you as a reminder of your commitment, you can order one for yourself online.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I picked up my 18 month chip at my 2nd meeting and spoke to the large group. It was the first time in many, many years that I had spoken to anyone I didn't know.... let alone a group of 80+ people. I was welcomed with open arms and handshakes and it made feel like I like belonged there. 8+ months later, I am the secretary for our fellowships weekly Men's meeting and have several cherished close personal friends that I met there.

You will not be looked down upon for getting your chip at your first meeting in a while. I'd suggest that you arrive early and talk with some folks and stick around afterwards and socialize some more. You may find that you actually want to attend more meetings, get a sponsor and work the steps.... maybe not.

I agree with your counselor that getting your chip is a GREAT idea. I never go anywhere without mine in my pocket and I pull it out whenever I have a craving or weak moment. It is a powerful, precious bauble that is a fantastic source of strength for me.

Congratulations on 1 year! You are on your way to a much better life as a sober contributor to society!

Good Luck!
Old 11-10-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 1 year sober.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober years.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

in the maryland and DC area, we give out chips for lengths of sobriety, doesn't matter if you are working the steps or not, just get to a chip meeting and pick one up and you don't have to speak
Old 11-10-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Congratulations on one year, that's wonderful.

If you want a chip, go to a chip meeting as sugarbear said. I'm sure you will be made more than welcome
Old 11-10-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

I say go get the chip because an important aspect of the whole chip thing is about the other people that see you get yours and think "I can do that too". The chips are about sharing with others your good news.

Congratulations

EternalNow

If
Old 11-10-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one year, I have no idea about the chip but it would be kinda nice to have one to mark your milestone....can you talk to anyone there?
Old 11-10-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Get the chip you earned it.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done on your year.

You can also order chips online. Not the same as getting given one, But always good to have as a reminder.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by colagirl View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a question about AA chips. I have my one-year sobriety anniversary next Tuesday, and while I've sort of been in and out of AA meetings I don't have a homegroup and don't go regularly (I follow a different program). I had a meeting with my counselor today and she suggested that I go to a meeting to get my one-year chip, even though I'm not heavily involved.

My question is whether that is frowned upon, since I don't use AA as my primary program. Is it normal to just show up and get a chip?
Congat's on your impending year! That's inspirational for all!!

As to the chip question, if you really do not feel an attachment to AA not sure what the significance for you would be?? In the groups I attend there's a moment for the chip recipient to share with the group - Tell us How you did it?? That might be a little awkward unless AA helped you at some point and you could comment on that.

Maybe this is not universal though, not sure......

Glad you posted and glad you're among us!!!
FlyN
Old 11-11-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one year!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on one year CG! That's a huge accomplishment. Not sure on the chip question but wanted to chime in on your year anniversary.