Notices

Can I do this?

Old 11-08-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can I do this?

All,

I've been really struggling lately.

I'm posting drunk/buzzed right now. I REALLY want to quit but every day when I get to "drinking time" I'm overcome by anxiety and negative feelings... Then I give in for immediate short-term relief and long term pain.

I've done this before.. In the last year, I've had periods of:

days sober. Why can't I get back there?

I had a close call tonight too FYI. Please don't judge... I was driving the family home from dinner and would have probably been over the limit.

Something told me to drive extra careful and cautious home, and the guy behind me at our last light before our house got pulled over.

What the heck is wrong with me that I even put myself and my family in that situation?

Can I quit?

Can I fix this?
Old 11-08-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi FF

I think the first thing to acknowledge is...you're not doing enough to stay sober permanently. No judgement there, btw, just fact.

Do you feel you have enough support? do you use the support you have?
Are there changes you've yet to make in your lifestyle that could help?

Thinking about things like this might help you find whatever it is you need to achieve 'escape velocity'... for good

D
Old 11-08-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcoholic? may be the answer to that question. (not judging, never judging)

It has taken me 30 years of asking the same question. For me, do I want a peaceful, calm, serene life; or do I want to drink? It really is that simple. Now, walking it out...minute, hour and day by day.

Be grateful you all are home safe. Big hug.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

No judgement here. Asked myself those exact questions for over half my life. Once I hit a low enough point, I had no option but to say "Yes, I can. I need help." Best. Choice. Ever.

Came into a 12-step program looking for shortcuts to control it. 17 months later, still not a drop. I asked a few questions after a meeting, and I've been coming back ever since.

It comes down to a decision to stop... Whether it be yours or the penal systems. And in many of our cases, just deciding to stop wasn't enough. We needed help. I know I did, and have no doubt that had I not found this place (SR) and my local AA program, my chances of being alive today were pretty much a crap shoot.

Glad to hear everyone made it home safe. Great place here with lots of info and always someone to talk to.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, you can do this!!! You know you can. You have done it before. Just set your mind to it, and get it done. Utilize your support groups (e.g. SR, AA), and have a strategy prepared to deal with the tough times when the cravings arrive. Do it for yourself, and do it for your family. I am pulling for you!!!
Old 11-08-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

I probably should've put the encouraging side of all this in my previous post... Something I still have to work on!

Yes. You CAN do it. As your previous lengths show, you've made it through the rough times in quitting before. Find support and use it!
Old 11-08-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All,

THanks for the words of encouragement. I'm just so discouraged now. I feel stuck.

Dee: You are a freaking angel... No offense taken. I know that I can do more. I'm somewhat constrained in that I have a new child (~2 months old) and my wife wont put up with much in the way of IOP, etc...

Jipsee: Yes. I'm an ALCOHOLIC. I know. I'm at the point where my concious mind knows... Absolutely knows. that drinking will only be good for today and be bad for tomorrow and every day after. but I keep pusing "that button"

theKl0wn: I had major problems connecting at AA. I had one guy that was very helpful but was at rock bottom himself. And as messed-up as this is, I'm looking for someone who still has a family and "fixed' it. How judgemental is that? SMH

Tall Dawg: Thanks!!!! and thanks again! I REALLY need to get a strategy together and stick with it.

YARRGH. I want to fix this.

I want to be healthy

I want to be there for my kids first kindergarten class

I want to be there for my kids first date

I want to be there for everything....

Today, I felt like I was going to die if I didn't have a drink.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey man - Of course you can do this. As you know, it isn't easy, but I'm pretty sure there are many positive things you've done in your life that weren't easy!

Put you mind to it. Learn up. Seek instances of support. Make some changes.

You can do this!