Notices

Question about AA

Old 11-08-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

Question about AA

I'll be attending my third meeting tonight. As I've said in my other posts, I really like it.

However, there is a young guy who has been at both I've been to. He's shown up drunk telling the same story of how he did great all day until 45 minutes ago.

Both nights he's taken his 24 hour chip and thrown it on the moderators desk only to pick up a new one at the end of the meeting. He made a huge scene last night and one member took him into the hallway where some kind of scuffle happened.

To my question. I really feel for the guy and hope he gets help. But, is there a limit to how much AA will allow? Any advice as to how I should handle this?
Old 11-08-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"The only requirement for AA is a desire to stop drinking." Sounds like he's pretty entertaining! Can you try to look at it that way? Lol. Or you could look at him with pity. Have you asked your sponsor about this? He/she could answer this.

For the time being maybe you could go to a different meeting if he's really bothering you???

I always find it interesting when drunk people go to AA meetings. I've never understood that. If I'm drunk the last place I want to be is an AA meeting. Odd.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't use AA, but my understanding is that it would vary from meeting group to meeting group as to how a situation like that is dealt with.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's hard not to get involved but I really think that's not your side of the street to clean TH....y'know?

You're new...you should be focusing on you right now...hopefully those with more experience will take this guy under their wing

D
Old 11-08-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

Thanks. I'm mostly just looking for advice. I never thought someone would show up drunk.

Dee, you are correct. I need to stay focused on me. I still have a lot to learn.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Let's not forget where we came from in AA.

I could behave or I could be drunk.... I just never seemed to be able to do both at once.

He sounds like my kind of drinker.

I've been in a few meetings with wet alcoholics.

It's important for me to have empathy for the alcoholic who still suffers..... Having said that, it can be a patience testing event.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Right now, you are looking for a solution yourself. Down the line, you will be able to twelve step and help such a person or at least see him as a reminder of what alcohol does to us.
I would suggest that if it really bothers you and distract you to go to a different meeting.
Some AAs might disagree with me but I feel that as a newcomer, you are already raw enough and should not have to practice patience and tolerance in what should be a nurturing, learning environment.
And yes, people who are under the influence are welcome as long as they want to quit drinking. Most are not disruptive but some are. Tolerance for disruption varies from group to group and also depending on the secretary.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

Thanks everyone.

By no means is this making me want to not go. I was just curious as to protocol.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just focus on yourself.

Bug
Old 11-08-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is a lady who also has schizophrenia and farts with abandon at one of my group meetings. It can be really amusing and trying as well.
One of the main guys at my home group has been sober for 8 years , but he used to come to them drunk. He was trying so hard, and one day it finally clicked. Hope that the man at your meeting is low key when you go next.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been to a few meetings with wet drunks. Here in So Cal, it is protocol to welcome everyone, and if someone is being disruptive, it is the secretary's job to ask them to leave -- for any reason.

Being new to the program, if it is bothersome to you, find another meeting for now.

Congratulations on getting connected in the program!

Jwalker
Old 11-08-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

I could tell ya some stories about being drunk in AA and not all were just me....

a great time for acceptance and love for another suffering alcoholic....
Old 11-08-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

He was there again tonight. Drunk with the same story. He didn't take a 24 hour chip tonight.

I thought about what y'all said for a bit. At the end of the meeting, I introduced myself to him. He didn't want anything to do with me. I don't know why, but I took my 24 hour chip that I got on Wednesday out of my pocket and gave it to him.

I'm not telling y'all this to brag. I genuinely want to say thank you for giving me direction. Your insights were spot on.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My sponsor would say, "A drunk at an AA meeting. Who'da thunk"

Drunks at AA meetings are welcome as long as they are respectful and reasonably well behaved.

You do not need to be involved let the Chairperson handle it and or some of the long term group members
Old 11-08-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ellay View Post
There is a lady who also has schizophrenia and farts with abandon at one of my group meetings. It can be really amusing and trying as well.
One of the main guys at my home group has been sober for 8 years , but he used to come to them drunk. He was trying so hard, and one day it finally clicked. Hope that the man at your meeting is low key when you go next.
i wish she was in our area i would take her around all the meetings they could do with a laugh : )
Old 11-08-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
i wish she was in our area i would take her around all the meetings they could do with a laugh : )
There is nothing funny about mental illness.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

we have the odd one turn up drunk in meetings and for new comers i understand it can be a bit alarming, but its the nature of the help we are in
we dont just help sober people try to stay sober we help people who can not stop getting drunk
i was once like it and most of us were all like it

so for me a drunk who shows up carrys the most important message i can ever see

lets hope the fella gets some seeds planted by coming along to the meeting drunk as one day you might just see him change and start to be sober
i have seen so many come in and get well thats what feeds my own soul or makes me believe in aa so much as even the worse case can get better

so lets hope next time you go there the lad might be sober who knows ? but if it is to upsetting for you then there are plenty of other meetings to go to however there is no guarantee that a drunk will not show up in any meeting on any night all over the world so there out there all the time hence aa is out there waiting for them : )
Old 11-08-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTrogdor View Post
There is nothing funny about mental illness.
there is plenty funny about farting in aa rooms, it wasnt the mental illness i was joking about as well you know but if its caused you an offense i am sorry
Old 11-08-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I've seen people show up drunk to a meeting, we have a regular at my Tuesday meeting and she loves to share but it's really rambly and incoherent. We recently asked that she listen and she has. This morning we had a guy have a total melt down... Cursing, yelling ... and he was sober. Some of the guys cut him off and then talked to him after, I figure he was in a lot of pain and I'm glad that they were talking to him.

I would let the folks with more experience help him, you take care of yourself for now. Get a sponsor, do what you need to do. Glad you're going back.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 3rd meeting! That's fantastic! I love it when people are intoxicated at meetings! It's exactly where they need to be. Thank God for the rooms.