has anyone heard of this of dealt with it?

Old 11-08-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
torquemax777

has anyone heard of this of dealt with it?

Brain Damage from Alcohol: Wet Brain – Alcoholism and Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome
Old 11-08-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep. I dont even need to read the article. I learned about it in basic pysch and realized I was reading a description of my dad. He was 45 at the time and had been showing the symptoms for a few years
Old 11-08-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, I have seen patients with it.

dandylion
Old 11-08-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Saw it up close in the brother of a woman I was dating.
May I ask why yer interested in it?
Old 11-08-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
torquemax777

My AH seems to have a lot of these symptoms while drunk, and many of them sober. The rain I even researched it is because when he drunk he repeats the same issue or question over and over again; and the other part is when he repeats a story either drunk, or worse sober, he changes details-often in such a way that it embellishes his point whether good or bad. The weird ones though are when he gets the details off just a tiny tad, but it's still enough to scew the meaning or severity to some degree. Mostly, I just want to know how to get him to shut up when he goes off on these tangents and his conversation just loops. I know they always say to go to a different room of for a walk, or to a friends house, but that's not possible at 3am in a town that had absolutely no "open 24/7" places, and no close friends or any family. I already remain silent and just sit and either nod my head or look past him at the TV, but nothing, NOTHING makes him shut up! And this can last four hours!!! Oh and we live in a 27 foot travel trailer in an TV park, which lessens my places of escape. I wondered if this "wet brain" is starting to set in? He's 36 and has drank since he was 15.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Sorry for the typos; should have previewed it before submitting. It's sometimes hard to write with a smart phone.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My dad always repeated his stories though I dont recall if he changed any parts of them. Also had a couple of " nervous breakdowns" and suffered from delusions of grandeur at times. I havent spoken to him in 8 years. Haven't seen him in 10. So far as I know he is still alive. He is 65 now
Old 11-08-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I can't wait till I find a job in this pathetic town, so I can save for a separation; he was driving me nuts so he took off on the 4 wheeler. So I get either A) A drunken rambling fool who won't shut up, or B) I get to sit I. Silence and wonder if he will get a DUI, and what in the world I will i do if he goes to jail and I'm stuck here with no job and all that entails. Nice life eh?? Oh yeah and all the justifications about how he's "SO much better than he used to be." No argument there, he is right about that part; but like I tell him, " if a wife has a husband who is perfect in every way, except once a week he beats the crap out of her, then 'cuts back' to only beating her once a month, does it make him an acceptable husband? " just because something isn't as bad as it used to be or as bad as it could possibly get, doesn't make it OK or even acceptable.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dealt with this in my ex. He has brain injuries which have accelerated his deterioration. He's 34.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My ex only has about 20 stories but he tells them over and over and over. Also will never shut up. We were living in a studio. Well I was staying there I live in my 1 BR with my son and 3 cats. But when with him there was nowhere to go. He wouldn't let me go on a walk by myself. Or sleep. Blasting the tv at all hours. Talking talking talking. Ugh. It's getting easier and I'm not missing him as much now.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I swear today if I had the means and the money, I would leave right this minute! I'm so restless and irritated today, I feel like I'm going to crawl out of my skin! So to ALL OF YOU: A GIANT THANKS!!! It helps just to know someone can relate!!
Old 11-08-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
torquemax777

PS: keep the replies and personal stories coming! I hate when they end!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My A repeated himself endlessly. At times when he was on a bad binge, he seemed to be suffering from psychosis brought on by his heavy drinking. It was frightening. I am surprised he survived several of these situations. We have been apart 8 weeks & 5 days. It was so hard for me at first. He still wants me back. But I am moving on and truly happy for the first time in over a year. I feel great, thanks to all the work I am putting into myself. I no longer have a 40 year old child to take care of.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes I have heard of that & I believe my ex suffers from it as well.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happybeingme View Post
My dad always repeated his stories though I dont recall if he changed any parts of them. Also had a couple of " nervous breakdowns" and suffered from delusions of grandeur at times. I havent spoken to him in 8 years. Haven't seen him in 10. So far as I know he is still alive. He is 65 now
My father suffers from delusions of grandeur as well. He is a binge drinker. He has always been grandiose and as of late it has gotten almost comical. He used to call himself "Lord Terp's Dad, the Earl of Olney." Yep. My brother went to Notre Dame and he has pictures of himself in front of the basilica doing the royal wave. Now he posts pictures on my facebook of houses in the midwest he wants to buy............6000 sq ft houses for only he and my mother that look haunted mansions from any myriad of horror movies. Its gotten so bad over the years I really just have to laugh at it at this point.

I only speak to him if I absolutely have to. He is 62 now.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My childhood friend's father ended up in a nursing home at age 50 with Wernicke-Korsakoff. He was very much like the 90-year-old dementia patients. It was incredibly painful for her to see her father waste away.

I've got suspicions that my ex might be in the early stages of alcohol dementia as well. As much as he has hurt me and hurt our children, it still breaks my heart. He was once a brilliant man that could have had a brilliant life.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

My mother drank herself nearly to death. Couldn't walk or feed herself. Ended up in assisted living In her early 50's.

She recovered most of the physical symptoms but now has dementia. She's 67.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I just turned 40, he's 36. It's hard to imagine being basically "ruined" 10-15 years from now. Sometimes when he's sober, we watch a documentary on YouTube about the effects of alcohol (usually the physical issues) and he really seems shocked and afraid and motivated to change, too bad it only lasts a couple days!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My abf seems to go off on tangents as well...accuses me of stealing from him or cheating on him and won't let the topic die. He will focus on this for what seems like hours and then suddenly be like baby, why are you acting like that. It really scares me. The other night we were outside by the fire and he kept getting confused about which direction was east and which was west. He swore up and down that west was actually east and that i was losing my mind. I am so scared for him and what vodka is doing to his body.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Torquemaxx, you might try giving a domestic violence center a call. If you are ready to leave right now, they might have some suggestions on how to do it sooner, and may be able to give you some counseling and real moral support.

ShootingStar1