Notices

Weights get lifted daily.....

Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Weights get lifted daily.....

Many years ago, I was given a cuckoo clock. I cherished it for a long time. The clock has weights that must be raised daily on chains that provide the mechanism the power (mechanical) to run. If not done each day, the clock stops.

Over the years the clock became neglected as the tiresome task of daily raising the weights became a burden.

Recently in sobriety I have moved the clock into a prominent place in my kitchen. Each day I take joy in pulling the chains up with the weights on them so it will operated for 24 hours.

The clocks plays the song Edelweiss on the hour - also the little bird emits the cuckoo sound. The song is one of regeneration.......blossom of snow may you bloom and grow, bloom and grow forever.....

It struck me in the last few day how this clock has become a symbol of my daily reprieve from alcohol. I must lift my weights daily ( action ). But, I cannot do this by myself ( help/strength ).

My weights are lifted each day, for 24 hours by grace, SR friends and group meetings. Without each of you, I would still be an idle clock - my weights unlifted with no song of hope to play......

What is your daily action and where do you find strength that give the HOPE for today!??!?

Flyn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
clock.jpg (70.8 KB, 96 views)
Old 11-08-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post, Fly, and beautiful clock.

(I like to walk!!!!! Enjoying nature and the seasons provide witness of (and hope for) renewal and regeneration.)
Old 11-08-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pray for strength

The weights get lifted daily...I agree. Thanks Flynbuy.

Well, already this morning, my morning coffee was made by actually using loose espresso instead of the individual pre-packaged pods. This little thing reflects my ability to slow-it-down. There are many more things throughout the day that I have renewed patience for nowadays.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

That line from Edelweiss actually brought tears to my eyes. Really beautiful.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
That line from Edelweiss actually brought tears to my eyes. Really beautiful.
Those moments in Sound of Music when Captain Von Trapp (Christopher Plummer) sings Edelweiss brings tears to my eyes, too.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Those moments in Sound of Music when Captain Von Trapp (Christopher Plummer) sings Edelweiss brings tears to my eyes, too.
Truly is a beautiful song.

Nice rendition of the song sung by Julie Andrews back in late 80's with full orchestra. It's been near and dear to me for many years.....

Julie Andrews sings Edelweiss with full orchestra & stereo audio (From the late 1980's) - YouTube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
edelweiss.jpg (17.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 11-08-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a beautiful post, Flynbuy. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Daretodream View Post
What a beautiful post, Flynbuy. Thank you!

Very Kind!

Another day today, and the weights have been lifted again! - by grace I have been given 5 months.....

FlyN
Old 11-09-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

I love this! How neat!

My daily action is prayer. If I don't stay in touch with myself spiritually, I feel off... Like something is missing. I find the strength / hope to get through my days via praying and staying spiritually aware. When drinking took presidence in my life, I'd obviously neglect spirituality bc it was a reminder of what I wanted to deny - that I wasn't staying true to myself. & now that I'm no longer living to get drunk and I'm truly living in faith, I feel more fulfilled and empowered than ever.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by XIIIXXIXXVI View Post
I love this! How neat!

My daily action is prayer. If I don't stay in touch with myself spiritually, I feel off... Like something is missing. I find the strength / hope to get through my days via praying and staying spiritually aware. When drinking took presidence in my life, I'd obviously neglect spirituality bc it was a reminder of what I wanted to deny - that I wasn't staying true to myself. & now that I'm no longer living to get drunk and I'm truly living in faith, I feel more fulfilled and empowered than ever.
Great post!
Thanks - I agree. I found being intoxicated daily cut me off from the sunlight of the spirit, as is said....

Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 11-09-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Realising my life

This is so lovely, Fly. It speaks to me of daily rhythm and renewal and mindfulness and gratitude as well as determination and love. Excellent

And daily walking and watching the seasons is beautiful too, Soberleigh.

One of the loveliest and most unexpected benefits of sobriety for me has been a rekindling of my love for nature and an awakening spirituality which I see reflected in your post xxx
Old 11-09-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Truly is a beautiful song.

Nice rendition of the song sung by Julie Andrews back in late 80's with full orchestra. It's been near and dear to me for many years.....

Julie Andrews sings Edelweiss with full orchestra & stereo audio (From the late 1980's) - YouTube

Thanks, Fly; that is a very beautiful rendition, indeed.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Fly this story is so awesome

loved reading that this speaks sobriety

long may it continue
Old 11-09-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

I would love a clock like that!