Broke on day 9. Again.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Broke on day 9. Again.

Back to day 1 again

Old 11-07-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you thought about what else you might need to do to make recovery a permanent thing, Mavis?

D
Old 11-07-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I'm so sorry, Mavis, but get right back on now and start again. Maybe you need more external help. Have you thought about AA? xxx
Old 11-07-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really don't know Dee. I can't go down AA route and the only other option here is smart recovery but I can't get to any of the meetings. I'm just gonna make sure I post here every day, it's when I don't that I slip. It would be great to get to day 10 and beyond this time
Old 11-07-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks headlump, I don't like the concept of aa. I need to get my rational recovery book out and keep reading.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm with Dee...perhaps its time to add some new tools. If nothing changes, nothing changes. You can do this Mavis.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by MavisTheFairy13 View Post
Thanks headlump, I don't like the concept of aa. I need to get my rational recovery book out and keep reading.
Rational recovery has really helped me and I've found Mindfulness extremely helpful too. You may have had a glimpse from your 9 days of how life changing sobriety can be. Hold on to that, Mavis, you so deserve this
Old 11-07-2014, 11:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mavis this is something I was reading today about "personal growth" which is well...sobriety. I found it helpful...maybe you will too...

• You will have to be deliberate about it. It won’t be enough to just tell yourself it’s time to grow up and get your sh*t together. You’ll need to accept the premise that there’s work to be done, and do it. Take action to solve problems in your life.
• Human hang-ups and self-limiting behaviours are all about being in a rut, being stuck in your ways. One way or another, you will need to challenge yourself with unfamiliar experiences, show emotions previously unexpressed, and generally be willing to do and experience things you are probably uncomfortable with. (Hint:other human beings will have to be involved. Most of our ruts involve limiting our relationships in some way.)
• You will need expert advice, perspective and instruction. Ignorance is the largest single barrier to personal growth: most of us simply do not understand what makes people tick, least of all ourselves. We need to consult people with vast experience. Read books, go to workshops, and find any wise-seeming mentor who has worked with a lot of people: a psychologist, an athletic coach or teacher, a leader or manager,
Old 11-07-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Ah, Mavis (((()))) Sorry to hear that.

"If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got"

Don't know who said that but it's true.

Hope this helps. think the above advice is good from Nuu.

x
Old 11-08-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

ok Mavis, it's one thing to say you drank again on day 9, but it's another to look at "WHY" you drank. Perhaps talking about that aspect will bring more clarity to the problem. What do you think?
Old 11-08-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you guys I really appreciate your advice and support.

I don't know why I drank. I was having a stressful day, been in tears but then sorted it out so all was good. I drank 'as a reward'?
Old 11-08-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Sorry, I don't understand. Rewarding yourself by doing something that you have determined is not good for you? What are you going to do the next time that same situation arises? What will make that future situation turn out differently?
Old 11-08-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mavis maybe you should try AA. Even if you don't like going to meetings try the steps...because your current recovery plan is not working. I doubt this next time around will be any different unless you drastically change something. You say you can't get to these meetings? I'm sorry Mavis but these excuses aren't gonna get you sober. You need to do whatever you need to do to keep YOU sober. Whatever it takes. Sorry if it sounds like I'm coming down hard but something is wrong with your recovery plan.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Something has to change. You can get this eventually, Mavis. Hang in there!
Old 11-08-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...wine-free.html

Hello Mavis im going through some painful things at the moment sober there is loads of us hurting just through emotion alone what good would it be if i start drinking now ?

im trying not to post because of my emotions as they up down everywhere but im hanging in there read this link its how we became friends good luck M
Old 11-08-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you guys I really appreciate your advice and support.

I don't know why I drank. I was having a stressful day, been in tears but then sorted it out so all was good. I drank 'as a reward'?
Very sorry to hear how much you're struggling, Mavis. What happened to your plan of using the 'tapping technique'? I was relapsing like you throughout the summer, and not stringing as many days together as you in between either, so I know how you're feeling. I'm on Day 30 now, so I know you can do this. Triggers aside, day to day life gets so much easier after the first two or three weeks. I agree with the others that you need to change something though - not just do more of the same. Maybe just reading isn't enough for you - have you thought about yoga, something that will physically relax your body as well as your mind? I don't think I'd be on Day 30 if I hadn't taken up yoga. I use a DVD and do it by myself, so there's no need to worry about transport, and you can do it at any time of day that suits you. After a session, you'll feel so relaxed, and the relaxation lasts a long time and is much more profound than any fake quick fix wine might give you. Try it (or something like it)
Old 11-08-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mavis - I did 2, I didn't even really want anything. Fridays had become my good days
Complacency got me watching "Sound of Music" of all things!
Learn form it and move on
The headache is not worth it, for only a few glasses.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

But you do know don't you? You must have had a thought process before you bought the liquor, poured it into a glass and drank it. What were your rationalisations? I understand that you were craving, but you also know that won't kill you so there must have been more than that.

Were you thinking you could drink, and then wipe the slate clean, 'fess up, and start again?
Old 11-08-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope this can be your last day one.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I spent over ten years trying and failing and not liking the concept of AA.

When I dropped the rock of my resistance and opened up a willingness to consider that AA might actually be able to help ME just like it had helped millions of others.....

Well... I'm almost 11 months sober now.

I hope you'll find what works for you.... I know the misery of the merry go round.