Notices

Working from home

Old 11-07-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working from home

I work from the comfort of my home which is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because I can work in my PJs with a mud pack on my face and curlers in my hair (when I went into the office like that, my boss took exception...go figure). But... this also allows easy access to you know what.

Anyone else work from home?
Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was never able to work from home, but I do see it as a double-edge sword. It would be so easy to be distracted.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey ArtFriend-

Yes, I did for about five years. I did some computer stuff, (advertisements) and everything was done online from my home office.

It's funny that you described things as you did, because I was able to work in sweats, with access to, and plenty of, "you know what," which I took full advantage of. Since everything was done via the Internet, I hardly even had to speak to anybody. It was almost all done though my website.
...which is a blessing and a curse.
So true if you had the thirst, like I did. I've since stopped with that type of work and went into a different direction, so it's no longer an issue.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JJ9

Yeah, I work from home too. I am so thankful because it would have never been able to keep my job with the horrible hangovers I used to get (day 7 hangover free today-woo hoo!)
Old 11-07-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I work from home occasionally...I wish it was more because I've been tired in early sobriety and I wouldn't mind having a few minutes to crash on the sofa, or not have to get all dressed up every day.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to. I did it both drinking and not drinking.
Not drinking was way better

D
Old 11-07-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How do you actually get a job and work from Home , would love to do that!
Old 11-07-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

have worked from home my entire career. It's exactly what you say... blessing / curse. Part of the curse is isolation.

I have found that I really need to make an effort to have things that get me out of the house and out of the isolation..... that's something that has faltered for some time now.

Today, I went for a walk with a friend. We hiked a really lovely trail in the newfallen snow and listened to the river roar and talked about life.

This is essential. Human contact. Direct, one on one time with another person. Not just my lady - whom I love and cherish - but another person. Another guy, for quality guy time. We need our 'tribe' in this world.... and the isolation of working from home cuts us off from our tribe and from nature.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I work from home too. 14 years now.
I have never drunk, while working for some reason, but have had plenty of days where I couldnt work due to severe hangovers.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I work from home and have been since the end of 2009. Like Dee, I've done it both sober and while drinking, and I can tell you it is so much easier to handle stress sober!!! Which is exactly opposite of how I approached things before, obviously looking to alcohol as a stress reliever and the answer to any sort of frustration or emotional fallout.

I am so thankful I finally got sober and can now handle the stress better. I have bad days still (like today!) but my ability to recover is astounding to me. It was never this easy to just bounce back. Because bouncing back involved waking up the next day, hungover, and then requiring days to actually get over it. I'd drink to deal with the hangover, and then was right back where I started.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking, I changed everything -- including my job. I found that I could not be successful at sobriety and continue working out of the house. Today, I am clean and sober and happily working in the office in a new industry.

Jwalker