Notices

A Musical Sober Weekender Thread Nov 7-9

Old 11-06-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Cool A Musical Sober Weekender Thread Nov 7-9

Now this is gonna be a good thread! I can feel it! But before we let loose let me share why.

Drug songs I call'em. When I was high I used to play a few CDs over and over. They were home made sets of songs my friend made for me. I must of listened to them a hundred times. My addicted mind knew every word and note.

I heard two songs back to back this morning coming into work. I was like wait?.. What? This sucks! I was in such a good mood and bam! Downer.

I don't know about you, but music can change my complete outlook for that moment. I cringed at the thought of going back there... Of what I was doing when I "loved" that song. Uggggh.

But music can draw me out of a funk too. I grew up loving the songs of John Denver, Dan Fogelburg, Elton John, Supertramp, Styx and others from the era. Ok... Wow... Did I just admit that?

Oh come on... A little sunshine on your shoulders never hurt, did it?

Actually Trach posted piano music last weekend that I have listened to a few times now. I love it in the background. Thanks Trach!

Woo hoo! Let's hear it! Sober songs!

Let's share what makes you smile or gets you up and shaken it!

If you play an instrument let us know! Maybe how you came to pick it or what you style of music you play.

I just took up the electric violin. Only a week into it. Finger movements. Drawing the bow for a nice even sound. Note by note. Yikes this is challenge but I have all the sober time in the world to get down twinkle twinkle little star and I'm gonna do it! (And my cat Chuckie is going to help!)

Let's have some sober fun!

The buses are here... Jump on... *Ring Ring*!!!!!!!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and I am in. Fighting cold. Counter installed in ktchen and hopeful of sink today. I know what song I want out of my head as daft punk's get lucky was running thru my head in the shower this morning. Heard it ion the radio yesterday. Music for me is situational. I drank all the time so no one song triggers either way.

Posting from phone. Talk to you all later! Glad you all are here.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

almost shotgun

I can't really listen to YouTube music without it buffering, because I am too cheap to get high-speed internet.

When I first got sober, I listened to Christian music radio. I had to find a way to break the association. Bonus was that the music had a message of hope.

Now I'm back to my old music lists and don't feel the tug to drink based on music. Association Broken!!

Music can definitely affect my mood by taking me right back to a time and place. It's weird how I can sing along with songs that are 40 years old, having not heard them in decades, and can see myself singing with my friends in their basement, with hair-brush microphones.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im in
Old 11-06-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd love to join y'all this weekend. I definitely need the support. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

In!

I have a playlist on my iPhone called "Drunk Songs". I made it many years ago (had to import it from an iPod). Listened to it recently. Still love those songs sober.

My sister, mother and grandmother are coming to visit this weekend. My grandmother is 88 and not well, but they asked her what she wanted to do and she said she wanted to come visit me.

Rocking with Grandma this weekend.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In!

I just finished dancing around my kitchen to "Girl Named Tennessee" by NEEDTOBREATHE, so I guess I would strongly recommend that one!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dirty Deeds...

Welp, might as well get this Topic outta the way...

Re: this Story, the ole Aerosmith Lyric comes to mind:

'When you sleeping with the Dogs, you wake up with the Fleas'...

NICE lookin' Rig, Weas. I trust that you look as fetching as Vanessa-Mae when you don your Crop Top while Fiddling!

Off to Lunch momentarily. Back on later...

AC/DC Drummer Phil Rudd Arrested On Hire Murder Charge

'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap' ~ AC/DC Live

----

----
Old 11-06-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well now, GIANT had Turkey Hill ice-cream for $1.99 - so I got black cherry AND double dipper!
Rainy day here. Looked at bathroom fixtures - in case I actually decide to get to work on it. The plumbing may be an issue because when they built this place they must have thought it would last forever. No access points and it's in a difficult location.
A buck jumped out in front of me last night on the way home. Why don't they do that when I'm on station?

Weasel, here's something for you to motivate your playing.

This will interesting - trach may blow up before the weekend is over
Old 11-06-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

as for what got me up? Most music I hear from back then reminded me of 'partying'. But when I wanted to get up before a basketball game I would put on TED NUGENT (the stranglehold album) and crank it. Stranglehold always gets my energy up.

oh, what the heck...
Old 11-06-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great idea for the thread weasel. I was in undergrad in the mid to late eighties...lots of big hair bands. Count me in for the weekend, but for now lunch is over so back to work
Old 11-06-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Remember Yes? Heard any of their more recent stuff? Feel good happy music!

This links to an entire album. Open Your Eyes!

Old 11-06-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Old 11-06-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

LB... your killing me!!!

I used to be called poindexter when I was a kid... thats whos playing the violin in the video. I also worked with someone when I was in New York that dated Lamar. He is straight. or at least he was with her. Love when he goes to throw the javelin.

As for Turkey Hill I so miss their mint chocolate chip!!!! I want some so bad! I lived in Allentown for a few years... miss J's Cheese steaks too!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fun, I'm in. thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Ms Marie to SR and to the weekly weekender thread! Its a bit of a crazy group! glad you joined in!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CristinaN View Post
I'd love to join y'all this weekend. I definitely need the support. Thanks.
Hey Cristina. Good to see you. We are here if you need anything. Post all you want!!! Good to have you with us!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm in and as close as I've ever been to shotgun!

I like a little bit of every thing... Country to rap, John Denver to Pink Floyd, big hair bands to no hair bands.

I had those songs too that I would listen to over and over and over again when I was drinking. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was loosing my mind as many times as I would listen to the same songs, and loud too!

Happy early weekend everyone!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

haha - there is still enough for one bowl of mint-choc-chip left in the freezer. I only got it because it was so cheap I went to the store on a mission - "We're out of yogurt!"
Also, Lowe's had azalea plants for 75% off. A couple got there ten minutes before me - or I would have them all instead of none. I may go find another lowes to see if they still have some to dump. Like the time I got a $2500 patio set for 400.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I dont know LB... there seems to be more hours in your day than in mine.