Notices

Soon to go through opiate w/d

Old 11-05-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Soon to go through opiate w/d

This will be the first time I go through opiate w/d. I am freaking out because of all of the stuff I have read. I had a neck injury and had to move for employment reasons and in turn had to switch doctors. Well this doctor despite having all of my medical records decided to substantially lower my meds. It was a really bad time as I tried to explain my workload and hours were going to increase from 40 to 70+ hours per week and if anything I might need something extra to get me through this. Well here i sit 2 days from being out of meds because i had to take my previous dose just to make it through the day. I have been taking between 60 and 100mgs of oxycodone for almost a year and will be out friday night. I feel like this is going to be bad and am not sure if I will be even able to work on Monday which will be really bad. I have benzo's and gabapentin so i guess that is a plus but fear this will last much longer than friday, sat, and sunday.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

If it gets rough head for the ER. If it just gets squirrely, we're here.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why don't you find a doctor who will help you with withdrawal? Living on oxy is no life.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My fear my job would be in jeopardy if I get labled a drug abuser due to the nature of my work. I can take a lot....what would be the point one would head to the ER?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is literally one Dr. here who deals with pain management and he is a real piece of work. I have tried to schedule appointments as far away as 2 hours from here and the wait is 6-8 weeks.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

That's impossible to answer. When I did my first alcohol withdrawal, I dialed 911 on the phone and left it ready to hit "call". I knew I couldn't drive if it got bad. And it got close. I shook so bad I couldn't hold a glass of water. You can only hope you don't start seizures before you can call for help.

Got anyone around to watch over you?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome soontofeelbad

I guess I don't understand why your job might be in jeopardy going to one doctor but you tried to make an appointment with another...I think trying to be your own Dr is never particularly effective, but that's your call.

I have no experience to share with opiate w/d, but I know you'll find support here

D
Old 11-05-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know i messed up and I am going to have to deal with it now. My wife is fully aware of what is going on and the hospital is very close. I realize everyone is different and I am hoping and praying that its just the agonizing pain, throwing up ect. I have a good relationship with my family Dr. here but with the new laws will he be able to prescribe me something for W/D? I am more than willing to surrender the prescriptions for the next months of meds I have. I am more willing to live in pain than feel dependent on something.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Most places have withdrawal clinics that specialize in Oxy withdrawals and they are not in resident. Would recommend looking one up as Oxy withdrawal can be painful and dangerous. Good luck to you.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am in such a small town that I am almost sure there is no clinic here. I am going to make an appointment with my family Dr. and give him the run down tomorrow to see if he can give me anything to help or he knows of any clinic i can go to. I am really excited to get through this.....I just have to make sure I get through this.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think you are hyping it up in your mind. I did it off that much (and more many times) and it wasnt the end of the world. It will suck but its highly unlikely you will die or need the ER. Expect a flu like experience for a few days.

Generally the dangerous ones are alcohol and benzos, not opiates.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, if you decide to do it, pop on over to the substance abuse side. Collectively, we've done it 100's of times and can talk you through it.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 11-06-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Low

Went thru serious opiate withdrawals many many times. It's like having a bad flu. It sucks, but it isn't life threatening or ER material like booze or valium, zanax etc. Day 2 and 3 are the worst, you will start feeling better on day 4. Chills, nausea, sweats, and just sickly.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well i feel lucky that I have felt good for the first 24 hours....I had to get up and get in the whirlpool tub a few times last night but that is nothing new for me. However the previous post tells me I could be in for it a little worse in not to long. Its really strange....I don't even have the severity of neck pain that i normally have when I was taking the meds.

I went to the family Dr. yesterday and told him my plans on taking gabapentin, depakote, xanax, and all of the vitamins from the thomas recipe. I have scrips for all of the above meds and he said that I should be ok......then handed me a scrip for zofran for the nausea. I tried to give him my 2 months scripts i have for my oxy's which he refused he couldn't take so i ripped them and put them in his trash can. He said that would work. I hope you are wrong Low....because so far so good....although I am starting to sweat as I type.....i will blame that on the intense speed i type tho
Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well it has been 48 hours.....I have to say I might be one of the lucky one's that really doesn't get the bad W/D's. I realize after reading a lot of stuff online that my dosing really isn't that high and that I wasn't ever taking it to get "high". I never felt anything but relief for my pain.....well when I was on the right dose that is. My family physician completely understood why i took more than prescribed because my pain management Dr. lowered my dose quite drastically when I obviously needed more. I wouldn't be out if he had upped my dose by 20% instead of lowering it by 20%. If you do the math that is all the more I was taking than prescribed and I wouldn't be sitting here today.....now in a 6-7 level of pain. Luckily just in my neck where injured.....I haven't really been getting all of the muscle cramps, the runs, nausea or any of that stuff. Although I have got what I am going to call RBS....(restless body syndrome) or wanting to crawl out of my skin......which i have to say sucks really bad. It only lasted for about 5 minutes tho I jumped straight into the hot bath tub and it was gone. I am still going to have to take something for this pain. I really will not be able to function doing what I do like this. I am going to give it till the end of the month.....try some alternatives to narcotics...which i have already done but something has got to give. I am only 33 and I really don't want to have neck surgery. I felt like i was recovering nicely till I cranked my head severely (had a hardhat on) but it was hard enough to crack a back molar that required oral surgery to knock me back down to feeling like I am at about 25%. I was at 60% which is why I have faith I will heal again. I feel like I have wasted your time when this has been anything but bad for me.......so far......well the w/d's anyway. I really don't feel any different....the lights are a little brighter. I have to say the amount of paint I am in might be masking the W/D symptoms tho. I have dealt with so much mental and physical pain this past year that this isn't even registering on my Richter scale....maybe a slight tremor but I am going to blame that on the Colombian coffee I am drinking. Will keep you updated and thanks for everything.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you're doing so well.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in a very similar situation! I had neck surgery so if you have any questions message me. And well done, I wish I was as brave as you with coming off the opiates.