Effort to hide drinking makes papers!

Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Effort to hide drinking makes papers!

Posted elsewhere by another member - wanted to share with this lot though.

Family Impressed By Extra Effort Father Putting In To Hide Drinking

STERLING HEIGHTS, MI—Saying he had displayed a remarkable level of dedication and persistence in recent weeks, members of Patrick Malliner’s family admitted Tuesday that they were impressed by the extra effort the 51-year-old father of two has been putting in to concealing his excessive drinking from them. “You’ve got to hand it to Dad—he’s been coming up with elaborate excuses, making sure to cover up the smell on his breath at the end of the day, and really going the extra mile to keep his drinking hidden from us,” Malliner’s 16-year-old daughter Alexa told reporters, noting how her father had recently begun setting up his drinking binges days in advance by grumbling about how an upcoming project deadline had been keeping him late at the office. “Before, he used to do things like bury his empty bottles at the bottom of the kitchen trash can, but now he walks them all the way to the neighbor’s garbage bin down the block. Honestly, it means a lot to know he cares enough about us that he’ll go to such lengths behind our backs to save us from worrying.” At press time, the family was reportedly marveling at how their father had gone to the trouble of coaching his friends to corroborate his alibis, with Malliner’s wife needing to call three different people before finding out where he actually was.
Family Impressed By Extra Effort Father Putting In To Hide Drinking | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 11-05-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep, that sounds like something from the Onion, all right!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to start reading the attribution before the story lol - all I could think was "I know of people who go a LOT further than this to hide their drinking", then I read the source :-)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lol
Old 11-05-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ya know, if they put just a portion of the effort into trying to get sober as they do in trying to conceal their addiction, they would be halfway there. But they have to want it....
Old 11-05-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I kind of feel sorry for this family. They think he doesn't want them to worry? No, he just protecting his addiction and it appears it continues to progress. Very sad!!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
I kind of feel sorry for this family. They think he doesn't want them to worry? No, he just protecting his addiction and it appears it continues to progress. Very sad!!
LMN, it is a joke newspaper. The Onion makes up funny stuff and write it up like real news stories.

So this isn't a sad REAL story.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
LMN, it is a joke newspaper. The Onion makes up funny stuff and write it up like real news stories.

So this isn't a sad REAL story.
Oh ok, and oops!!

Old 11-05-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
I love it. Thanks Legna.

The Onion might be a satirical paper, but clearly someone one their staff is an ACoA with a great sense of humor.

This hit's way to close to home to written by just any old normie.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The problem one here goes out of his way to maintain an image of a person in control and/or being all prim & proper to the point of acting like a conman. Because that act has an endgame along with any insecurities they have about someone else thinks about them.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

LOL I know the Onion is a joke newspaper but it is so sad because the person who wrote that article must have some first hand knowledge of the extreme lengths that people will take to hide their addictions.

Both funny and sad, I guess.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Or the writer might well be a recovered alcoholic him/herself. Sober alcoholics often laugh about the lengths they went to to hide their drinking. I hid small bottles in between the wastebasket and liner in my home office so I could top off regularly without looking like I was having so many drinks. I brought big bottles home in my large catalog-sized briefcase.

You guys don't appreciate how much WORK we go through as active alcoholics. And yes, it is sad for the people we live with, but man, does it feel good when we are out of that mess once and for all.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i was never a hider type of alcoholic, believe me if i drank you couldn't hide it from anyone i was was hammered drunk
if i took just one drink i would end up drunk so there was no point in me ever trying to hide it as i wasnt the type who could drink and stop so i wouldn't end up drunk, it always puzzles me how anyone can yet they do its just not how it happend for me as i am sure those who could drink and not get hammered drunk wonder the same