Book Reviews!

Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Book Reviews!

Hi everyone!

I've been wanting to start a book review, and have two books in mind: Get Your Loved One Sober by Robert J Meyers & Brenda I Wollfe, and
Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change by Jeffrey Foote, Carrie Wilkins, Nicole Kosanke and Stephanie Higgs.

Is there any preference on which book to do first? I have GYLOS on my phone, and Beyond Addiction has just become available to me at the library - my borrow period is 3 weeks. I haven't picked it up yet, I want to when AH isn't around because I don't want to deal with him seeing it right now

If there's no preference, maybe we could start with Beyond Addiction, simply because the there is a time limit on my book loan?
Old 11-04-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im fine with starting with Beyond Addiction. Im excited !!

Did you know there's a page at the end of the intro that is meant for sneaky husbands who find the book. Its actually very nice, and it says we are reading the book because we want to learn about addiction, help ourselves, and help them. It gives a little summary and says the book is telling us that they are not crazy, or bad people. And we will learn from the book how to cope better with our own emotions, respond to them in more positive ways, without yelling at them, or detaching from them. We will learn to listen to what they say too because their feelings are important. We want to be part of their solution, because we as family believe change is possible.

Im going to have to work on how to summarize, I start reading the book and want to highlight too much. I remember one of my professors said "dont highlight everything, its not helpful" so now i have to beef up my book reporting skills. HA !

I looked online at our library too, and they have an audio download available. Takes about 12 hours to listen to it. I probably cant even read that fast !
Old 11-04-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lol Blue, I'm like that too! Oh look - this is important, I'll highlight it. But so is this! And this! One of my profs suggested rewriting notes with only the main points summarized, worked well until I started rewriting the whole book lol!!

I'm hoping to pick the book up tonight or tomorrow night so we can get started right away. Excited about doing this for ME
Old 11-04-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Remember on our main thread a while back, we were talking about doing things for ourselves. You were going to come back and tell us some things you had started doing for you. I think you just did !