Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents
Reload this Page >

When someone speaks harshly to me, I turn into a little kid emotionally.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I realized something about myself this weekend. When someone talks to me in a stern, harsh, critical voice, I turn into a little kid emotionally. I try to placate the other person. It doesn't matter who the person is. And I am WAYYYY past age 21.

I wish I could get out of that, and if somebody talks to me as if I were a misbehaving child, I could tell them to go to h3!!, or maybe something a little more polite, depending on who it is.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The few times that I have stood up for myself with people like that, it always feels so good. However, it is so rare for me that I can clearly remember those few instances of self respect. Ugh! I hate that trait about myself!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When someone does something outrageous like that, I always just remain calm. Maybe too calm. The whole time I am thinking, "wow what a crazy person" and I just let them talk on until they are done. I think I want let them run the gamut of just how crazy they will be. Then later I think I should have yelled back. I wish I had. But I never do. I think I am so shocked that I can't say a thing. However, the second time they do that I am then prepared that, yes they are rude and in error and I don't let them get away with it. By the second time I have usually cut all ties with them and they know it. I am a bit better when it comes to bosses, I plead my case calmly. But still it is shocking to my system to be verbally accosted and I can retreat to my childhood trauma quickly with authority figures.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Share the same thing...I need to work on the bosses thing...I try not to speak but when an aggressive boss comes at me...I feel trapped...
Old 11-06-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I inwardly cringe, but typically resort to reason. If they are unreasonable, I am usually slightly stunned, figuring out how to retreat from the "crazy person." Lol.

I guess that has always been my response, even since childhood. I tried to figure it out on my own, whatever the conflict was, whatever I was being accused of or yelled at about, and I'd use reason to argue back. That doesn't work with crazy people. So, I am sure I must've felt very frustrated. Even trapped. I had depression as a child, I'm sure of it.

I eventually went off to college and one of my majors was philosophy - I was driven to it, no doubt, because of my well developed reasoning and analytical skills in an effort to deal with my crazy family my whole life. Also studied psychology for the same reason!
Old 11-06-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
...I'd use reason to argue back. That doesn't work with crazy people. So, I am sure I must've felt very frustrated. Even trapped.

This is so true. And it's a learned behavior that I grew up and applied to anyone that yelled at me. I think I shouldn't have, but I did.