Finally starting to "get it"

Old 11-04-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally starting to "get it"

I had an epiphany during the wee hours of the morning entitled:
"Like attracts like."
We attract people to us who are on a similar journey in life-good or bad. This includes jobs, friends and spouses.

This is why relationships break up when one party is in recovery and the other isn't.

What is behind this story is my partner's birthday, me sending gifts with a card signed "love." And, him ignoring me once again.

With my work in recovery, I have been changing. I believe I have been getting better. My life reflects this. He is getting much worse, spiraling out of control.

Like everyone else on these pages, I find this very sad. I am reaping the consequences (benefits) of my own choices in life. I also use no substance to dull the pain of the separation.

When you love someone else, you always want the best for them. I had hoped for a different outcome, but finally am starting to realize the truth.

I am finally starting to "get it."
Old 11-04-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 11-04-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Eauch,

I am thankful that you are making progress on you. It is hard to let go and know that you have to focus on you. I hope to see progress myself soon. I am trying very hard. It seems like a lonely process. Still, you give me hope.
HUGS
Old 11-04-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My therapist gave me this image early on: You have two horses pulling a wagon. If one horse decides to sit down on its backside and refuse to move, the other horse won't be able to pull the wagon forward.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^^^^^^^^^^ ain't that the truth.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

It's an interesting journey. i kinda feel like I have just begun. It isn't going to be easy or pretty. But it has to happen.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good point and I get it intellectually - emotionally I'm still hoping that my positive changes are more the kind of like that leads a horse to water.

I have quite a ways to go and am sort of in wait and see and work on myself mode. I do feel really good when something clicks for me and working it seems to help somehow.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love those epiphany like moments. I applaud you.

Once I changed my role in the drama, the drama changed. Kinda says I'm not as insane as I used to be.

At least for today.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
My therapist gave me this image early on: You have two horses pulling a wagon. If one horse decides to sit down on its backside and refuse to move, the other horse won't be able to pull the wagon forward.
Oh Lord I just texted this to my RAH. I imagine we will both envision the OTHER as the one sitting on their backside!
Old 05-30-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
I had an epiphany during the wee hours of the morning entitled:
"Like attracts like."
We attract people to us who are on a similar journey in life-good or bad. This includes jobs, friends and spouses.

This is why relationships break up when one party is in recovery and the other isn't.

What is behind this story is my partner's birthday, me sending gifts with a card signed "love." And, him ignoring me once again.

With my work in recovery, I have been changing. I believe I have been getting better. My life reflects this. He is getting much worse, spiraling out of control.

Like everyone else on these pages, I find this very sad. I am reaping the consequences (benefits) of my own choices in life. I also use no substance to dull the pain of the separation.

When you love someone else, you always want the best for them. I had hoped for a different outcome, but finally am starting to realize the truth.

I am finally starting to "get it."
I've also heard "sick attracts sick." It makes sense why I was attracted to my ex fiancé and why I'm no longer attracted to her. There's still the bond and the love, but I don't want her in my life like I once did.