Notices

A relapsing Christian

Old 11-04-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile A relapsing Christian

Hey somebody. I'm a new Christian and can't seem to stop relapsing. I'm fresh off of a binge. I repent, read the Word daily, have bible study once a week, and attend church every week. Am I still saved? I'm beating myself up really bad right now and am scared to tell my church buddies for fear of being treated different
Old 11-04-2014, 02:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, you're still saved. Jesus died for all of our sins, past, present, and future. His was the perfect sacrifice: our debt is paid in full.

The temptation to drink is persistent. It is extremely strong. Consider it to be the flesh, always luring you back.

If you suffer temporary setbacks, don't give up. Ask the Lord to help you. He has led you here, which is a great place to start. Read all the stories here. Post things yourself! You will be very encouraged and well-supported in your fight to give up drinking.

Try AA! Get to know others in your church. Watch them carefully. You are bound to find some people who don't "cast the first stone." It would be good to confide in them, because accountability to someone with your own belief system will only help you.

It is good to have people you can call when you're tempted.

Get rid of all alcohol and go out of your way to avoid places where it's being sold, at least till you've built up a few weeks of sobriety.

I will be praying for you!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Vonnie! Welcome. Lotsa good tips here for staying quit. There is a Christian Recovery Forum here that could help you with your faith questions.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Vonnie. I'm sure if Jesus can forgive murderers etc, then you've really nothing to worry about
Any ideas on why you relapsed?
Old 11-04-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies and prayers. I'm so confused. I have a job I just started so I don't know if they'll hold my position for me if I go to treatment. I did a no show yesterday and now I need to be honest with my employer about why... I mean I literally just started last Monday and did a no show yesterday. I'm scared...
Old 11-04-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would think very carefully before telling your employer. Might make things difficult for you. I would personally just say I was 'ill' and let's be honest, that isn't a lie is it.

New jobs are always stressful - do you think that's why you drank again?
Old 11-04-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Actually, it wasn't my intention.:. Just as I was leaving for work, an acquaintance showed with it in hand. I couldn't say no! Why couldn't I it's say no! I didn't even call in. Should I go to the doctor today? I have had no sleep and am still feeling it. Please suggest an idea...
Old 11-04-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Vonnie - I know you'll find support here

Seeing a Dr today would not be the worst idea - I think you need to contact your employer as soon as possible tho - maybe after Dr perhaps?

D
Old 11-04-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes I know I should contact my employer and I'm so scared. I'm such an honest woman that it's gonna be hard to not tell the truth...is that lying by omission?
Old 11-04-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

My advice is to pray on it Vonnie. There's a lot of things to consider.

D
Old 11-04-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Try this aswell Christians In Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 11-04-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't know that coming clean to a stranger-your new boss- is really necessary. If you read my replies on these threads, I advocate being open and honest about drinking but not when it serves no purpose or when it could hurt a situation or person. Is telling your boss why you were a no show going to help anything? I am with Chiffon on this one.

The important thing is for you to get and stay sober. Being Christian, I really recommend AA for you. (It's good for seculars too) I think it would be a good fit. As far as being saved and forgiven, ask yourself this, if someone else came to you and said they had a drinking problem, would you forgive them? I am betting the answer is yes. Forgive yourself.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Vonnie - saying ' I was ill ' and adding any relevant symptoms you had, is NOT lying You don't need to say it was because you had been drinking.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm going to go to the doctors office so I can at least be at the hospital when I call my employer. But I can't possibly go in looking and feeling like I do. I work at a Christian store.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Then just call in sick. You have to call in. Other than that, tellyour Dr the problem. It will be a relief to start getting the help you need.

And welcome to SR! We are here for you!
Old 11-04-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VonnieG72 View Post
Hey somebody. I'm a new Christian and can't seem to stop relapsing. I'm fresh off of a binge. I repent, read the Word daily, have bible study once a week, and attend church every week. Am I still saved? I'm beating myself up really bad right now and am scared to tell my church buddies for fear of being treated different
Well ??
One thing for sure, we wish not to meet our maker in this condition. Right ??
Repentance is a gift from God -- I would keep thanking him for that.

Having an interest in the reading of the Word, bible study and attending church are all good signs that one is saved or being called. For the ones who are not called have no interest in these things.

Your brothers at church are not Saints (yet). I would fell free to share with them all of what is going on. We ask of the church to pray for us.

MM
Old 11-04-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree 100% with Sprout - you need to call in asap babe. I'd do it for you, but with my accent it would make things even worse
Old 11-04-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, Vonnie, to SR.

I agree with the others that telling your employer that you have a drinking issue is not a good idea. I don't believe that it would serve any good purpose at this point. But, please, call your employer as soon as possible - even leave a voice mail message now stating that you have been ill and are on your way to see the doctor/go to the hospital and will call them again as soon as you can.

I also agree that AA sounds like a good option to pursue. If there is a Celebrate Recovery group in your area, that may be another good option for you.

Remember, too, that SR is 24/7, 365; there is always someone here who truly wants to see you succeed. Many people here have found it helpful to "talk through that first drink or stop at the liquor store" when they are feeling fragile.