Notices

Are there tips for getting to sleep in early sobriety?

Old 11-03-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Are there tips for getting to sleep in early sobriety?

Like, is it possible? Can it be done? Is there anything I can do other than lay down and cross my fingers in the hopes that I will become unconscious?

Other than of course, staying sober and waiting until the insomnia goes away. That's the goal, obviously. But for now ... Is there anything I can do? I googled it and I found a bunch of stuff, but I'm wondering if there are actual humans with actual experiences of stuff that helps ...
Old 11-03-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm using Benadryl as needed, also available as a generic sleep aid. Generic ingredient name: Diphenylamine.

Many people swear by melatonin, but that's never worked for me.

Also all the usual - avoiding caffeine, large meals and sugar before bed, dark room, comfy clean bed, ear plugs, get plenty of physical exercise, no mobile devices in the bedroom, etc.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Moderate exercise, avoid caffeine & sugar.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Hi helpimalive
I found I needed to develop a "sleep routine" , kinda like when I was trying to get my babies to go to sleep.
Regular bed time and regular wake up time were important. Exercise (not too late). Cup of camomile tea or warm milk before bed. Warm bath or shower.
I had the herbal supplement valerian it was available at the chemist.
I also went into chat every night (before bed) the downside to THAT is I have a very late bedtime now
In the first fortnight when I was desperate for sleep I had some Over the Counter medication as prescribed
Sleep will come I promise. Good luck
Old 11-03-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I kinda had to stop fighting it in early sobriety. I slept when I could, but when I couldn't I got up and did stuff - chores, TV, come here and read...it evens out. Sometimes I could sleep 12 hours - other times two hours.

A snack with protein seemed to help - like warm milk and toast or hot herbal tea and some cottage cheese.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Helpimalive ... I asked my local Pharmacist, but I also told him the truth why I wasn't getting any sleep , that I quit alcohol. Most Pharmacist are very good at what you should do or take.

Hope this helps and you get some quality Sleep!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drink lavender tea and bedtime teas to help me relax and get ready for sleep. I also apply lavender scents and if I still can't get to sleep I take advil PM (but check with your doctor that it's okay for you to take it).
I hope this helps!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 11-03-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I personally would not use Benadryl - it's an antihistamine & not specifically a sleep aid - and a quick walk through the substance abuse forum will show threads from people hooked on the stuff.

Likewise melatonin, and the various herbal teas, are not suitable for everyone, especially if you are on other medications.

My sleeping habits were rough for a week or two and then they settled down. If you think you need medical help to get to sleep please see your Dr.

There are some common sense non medication based suggestions here:

10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices
Old 11-03-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I normally wake up nice and early and try to have a day of activities to wear me down reading is a super sleeping aid
Old 11-03-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
now's the time

I use a combo of the above methods:

1. At least one hour of exercise a day. If I can get in 2, then I know I'll sleep like a baby, but 1 is the minimum.

2. Bedtime tea by yogi teas.

3. No computer or Netflix for an hour before bed (I am SUPER bad at enforcing this with myself, but when I do manage to force myself I sleep much more easily)

4. I do take L-Tryptophan many nights, which makes me drowsy. This was based on a doc rec from a few years ago, you might ask your doc what they think of it.

5. If none of the above work, like biminiblue I give up, get up, and try to make use of the time. This is really important for my sanity. The first time I quit I would just lie in bed trying to sleep, or watch stupid movies to kill time, etc... it made me really, really depressed because some days I'd be spending 5+ hours like that! Now if I'm really awake I'll get up and try to do something at least semi-productive with my time, even if it's 2am.

6. And finally: even if I fall asleep at 6am, I get up by 9:30am at the latest. If I go to bed at a normal time, I get up by 8, whether I went to bed at 10pm or 2am. This is really important for me because I'm unemployed right now, so if I weren't strict with myself my sleep schedule might flip nocturnal!

Just to chime in about the benadryl... I used to take that too (my parents used to give it to me sometimes, actually! I was a child insomniac and when I had to go on school trips my mom would give me some to take with me in case I couldn't sleep)... but then my friend who's an ER doctor told me not to. He says that if a person has a surprise allergic reaction and ends up in the ER, if they take benadryl regularly it might make it harder to save them because they've built up a tolerance to antihistamines.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

The first thing I would suggest is to remove the clock from your bedside. Rolling over and checking the time will just cause more anxiety and worry and keep you awake. Another suggestion is to turn off the TV 1 hr before you go to bed and read a book or meditate in a quiet room instead. Lastly, once you go to bed spend a maximum of 8 hrs there.... whether you sleep the entire time or not. This helps regulate your sleep pattern and helps you get back into a more normal routine.

I am one of those people who uses Melatonin and it works for me. I take 2 3mg time release capsules, 1 hr before going to bed and find that I can get to sleep faster and stay asleep longer. I'd suggest starting with 1 capsule, if your Dr agrees, and see how that works for you. As others have said, it doesn't work for everyone. If you decide to try it, buy a quality brand (I use the Now brand, in the orange bottle) as results will vary.

Another thing that helps me is reliving a pleasant experience. I visualize a long hike that I have done several times in the High Sierra mountains. I think about the different sections of trail, the various views, the sound of my boots on the ground and the feeling of breathing the clean air at 10,000 feet. So you might want to try going to your special place in your mind to help you relax.

Good Luck!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey helpimalive-

I'll echo part of what 'fantail' said in reference to exercise. An hour would be great if possible.

I've found it VERY helpful with all aspects of staying sober. From not thinking of booze; not really wanting it as much, and sleep.

I find that at least a good 20-30 minutes of vigorous cardio really does the trick for falling asleep. I'm actually in the sheets by 8:30-9:00, and for a guy who would have just been heading out to my local haunt at that time, it really was a huge change for me. I do find myself waking up though, and on occasion I do have some difficulty falling back to sleep, but not too often.

I know the exercise thing is not for everybody for various reasons, but it might help, at least in the beginning. Just enough to get that nice relaxed feeling. I opt for the later part of the afternoon if possible myself.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I quit reading after r stevie and bimini. That about covers it. Benadryl... maybe but not it's intended use.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I do have one rather 'off the wall' tip that I found accidentally.
I am a member of a 'well-known' (don't think I can mention the name) games site (no money involved) and the computer generated voice of the guy that calls the numbers on 'bingo luau' is SO monotonous, that you can't help falling asleep. PM me if you want to know the website
Old 11-04-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

So I tried a bunch of this stuff and still ended up laying there for hours.

So at 3:30 am I got up and cleaned out the oven, scrubbed the stove top, and swept the living room.

My boyfriend got up at one point, came into the living room, stared at me blankly with his hair sticking up while I stared back at him holding steel wool like I'd been caught robbing a bank with it, and then he went back to bed without a word.

Adventures in insomnia.

But after that and another shower I did sleep for a few hours, so ... Too bad I've only got the one oven to clean.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Try listening to some guided meditation in the dark. Really give it a shot though, don't laugh at the talking voice at first like I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TDcGYmEgyM
Old 11-04-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So at 3:30 am I got up and cleaned out the oven, scrubbed the stove top, and swept the living room.

My boyfriend got up at one point, came into the living room, stared at me blankly with his hair sticking up while I stared back at him holding steel wool like I'd been caught robbing a bank with it, and then he went back to bed without a word.

Adventures in insomnia.

That is so vivid! You are a hilarious writer. That's actually a good technique, getting up out of bed when you can't sleep rather than watching the clock as has been said.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You are trying to sleep and I'm trying to stay awake!
Being that I have become the master of the unconscious in my early sobriety here, I'll give you some of my tricks.
I saw someone put triptophan on here, I tried that 5 htp stuff which is supposed to help you sleep by converting something into triptophan. I did sleep but wound up with the superpoops for 3 days. Never again.
Organic nighty night herbal tea or chamomile
Read a real book with paper pages
No computer, phone, or electronics for an hour before bed.
I wouldn't play with Benydryl for sleep. I took it one day because I got hives and I felt awful the next day like I did something I shouldn't have.
I look forward to my bedtime ritual so much now. It means so much to me. Now I have to try and walk. All this sleepy talk made me tired...again