Steroid/Performance Enhancing Drug Abuse?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Steroid/Performance Enhancing Drug Abuse?

Steroids and/or performance enhancing drugs(PEDs) don't get the same kind of attention that meth or crack might but I think this is a growing and serious problem. And probably should be included in the speed or upper type drugs of abuse. I've seen users hyped up just like they were on some kind of speed or upper. Their energy level goes through the roof and their mind follows sometimes just focusing on the same thing until in a mental frenzy of sorts.

From what I've read the problem with PEDs is that they literally/physically take over your body not just changing moods. A lot of PEDs after long term use wind up taking over or mimic other body functions which makes a body depend on them for normal function.

Throw in alcohol, other drugs including legal sport supplements the user could be just as dangerous as a meth head. The addict and/or alcoholic here has not only the physical symptoms of steroid abuse the life/money problems of a long term junky.

Has anyone had experience with a steroid or human growth hormone user? Or a person who takes just as many "legal" sports supplements as regular food?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
Has anyone had experience with a steroid or human growth hormone user?
I shot steroids and drank, and got in trouble a lot. (Roid Rage). Steroids was a personal addiction for me. The more I done the bigger and faster I got. When you come off of them, you lose all that you worked so hard for.(size & speed)

Reminds me of alcohol, you drink and feel good. quit drinking and feel like crap.

It's Not worth it!

Not sure if this helps, but I been wanted to tell that to someone for a long time.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of the guys in my unit used HGH while we were deployed to Iraq. It was horrible going out on missions with him. Crazy aggressive mood swings. Plus he had the most repulsive acne. The Army's didn't test for that stuff back then, maybe they do now.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
Crazy aggressive mood swings
Yepp

Steroids should be prescribe by a doctor. They help certain people though, it's a medicine that helps repair damage tissue and other uses. I would think a lot of U.S. Armed Forces have used them and Police Officers, Firemen and etc. "I know from experience "
Old 11-04-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
One of the guys in my unit used HGH while we were deployed to Iraq. It was horrible going out on missions with him. Crazy aggressive mood swings. Plus he had the most repulsive acne. The Army's didn't test for that stuff back then, maybe they do now.
When I can see acne on graying middle aged man similar to that of a teenager eating 10 candy bars a day it makes you wonder. Especially if they are sweating or it's warm out. Then because of the faster metabolism with the peds he is either hot or cold especially when drinking alcohol. My guess the enhanced/fast metabolism burns calories fast combined with alcohol dilating the blood vessels allows heat to escape the body faster causing cold. In warm environments he probably has too much blood running to the extremities from alcohol causing him to be hot. Throw in high bp frequently associated with steroids his body becomes very susceptible to temperature let alone mood swings.

To make matters worse the use of a lot of sports & diet drinks some of which have proven to make some people irritable steps up his outbursts and rants up a notch or two more.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you worried about someone using them?
Old 11-04-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Popeye2014 View Post
Are you worried about someone using them?
Not so much worried about his steroid use but the effects on other people including sticking people for money and businesses for a bill. An unwieldy sense of entitle probably from the feeling of feeling really strong. I don't have proof but I think it got the point he might have started hitting his ex. He was already a walking bomb/very short tempered which is another story. I think peds contribute to running mouth and racing mind as well. I've also seen him go off a store clerk for stupid stuff(roid rage & alcohol combo)-much more and it would've been arrest if not eviction territory.

Excellent analogy with alcohol and sometimes I think the moods are when he is off the stuff-for awhile anyway. He considers himself a "professional" athlete. He gets mad when someone doesn't have diet food yet he complains he is "starving" from the lack of money and eating what he wants(sports drinks, bars, protein, steaks and 'special' diet food etc).

Again, I can't emphasize this enough the drug rehab professionals or industry needs to start looking for peds use/abuse a lot harder. Because a lot of the users I've known over the years wound in trouble from the upper type drugs and/or alcohol as well.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Excellent analogy with alcohol and sometimes I think the moods are when he is off the stuff-for awhile anyway. He considers himself a "professional" athlete. He gets mad when someone doesn't have diet food yet he complains he is "starving" from the lack of money and eating what he wants(sports drinks, bars, protein, steaks and 'special' diet food etc).

Again, I can't emphasize this enough the drug rehab professionals or industry needs to start looking for peds use/abuse a lot harder. Because a lot of the users I've known over the years wound in trouble from the upper type drugs and/or alcohol as well.
Creatine will make Tempers flare (mood), Steroids cost a lot now (also is a Felony) Health food alone cost a lot. You would be surprised of how many Users they are out there. Lance Armstrong, wrestlers and the list goes on.

As far as testing for it, Looks like it's just in High Level sports. In the future I think there will be more testing done, but you can't test everyone because of Cost and Time. You ask about his mood, Once you get the adrenalin Running, then cut it out, it's like a caffeine withdrawal. "You gotta have that caffeine" Take it away and people get angry.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Popeye2014 View Post
Creatine will make Tempers flare (mood), Steroids cost a lot now (also is a Felony) Health food alone cost a lot. You would be surprised of how many Users they are out there. Lance Armstrong, wrestlers and the list goes on.

As far as testing for it, Looks like it's just in High Level sports. In the future I think there will be more testing done, but you can't test everyone because of Cost and Time. You ask about his mood, Once you get the adrenalin Running, then cut it out, it's like a caffeine withdrawal. "You gotta have that caffeine" Take it away and people get angry.
The peds are not helping. He always had 'a' temper but now it's flat 100% snap with ear piercing anger and/or possible flying objects. Before he would just cop an attitude or be miserable if he didn't get his way along with obvious anger. But now it's visceral.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You married? living with him?

Sounds like he's not going to listen to anyone
Old 11-05-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

He hasn't been listening to anyone even when he was fully employed with a good job. But he is literally a bomb to deal with especially close friends and family because he knows we'll tolerate him-for now. He might not lose it but I'm sure his demeanor can change fast and is probably detectable infront of hiring managers and hr people if a job interview doesn't go his way. I've seen him go off or show OBVIOUS distain in public towards strangers.

Beside the PEDs he as the point where he says he needs the legal sports supplements just to get through the day which includes a workout. Besides a mental thing it 's the unwieldy sense of entitlement to anything other than food to live. No one is saying he has to lick the grease drums at McDonalds but he doesn't or shouldn't need an energy drink just to bench press.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

He hasn't been listening to anyone even when he was fully employed with a good job. but he doesn't or shouldn't need an energy drink just to bench press.
Working out is very addictive. People stay on course like alcoholics trying to stay sober. They focus on working out, like a person going to church and being committed to that .

The energy drinks Are bad for people. (caffeine) That's where you get the bad attitude from.

Do some research on how people go overboard on supplements and stuff. maybe you could print it out, lay it on his bed. Maybe he would read it. Is this your son? and how old is this person?....I'll be here if you want to talk
Old 11-05-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh I know how addictive working out can be because I've worked out my entire adult life. But as time has gone on I've expanded or changed what I do AND I think practical including having/finding alternatives when I don't have certain equipment or money. I've gone through phase of protein supplements.Now I do vitamins only I try include food with protein or nutrients in it. Even the McDonald's dollar menu has those. And that's his big problem, he thinks a corporate type gym environment and sports supplements are a bare minimum necessity to workout at all. And if you want to excel and thinks of himself as a "professional" athlete you do 'what ever it takes' including PEDs.

It comes down to the addict wanting to change on their own. He has to change his mindset.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It comes down to the addict wanting to change on their own. He has to change his mindset.

He is like many people, when you do something give it a 100%.

Age is important for me, how old is he? Maybe you could reach out and find a Body Builder at the gym. Don't let him know. most older people learn from there mistakes and can give you advice or him in a hidden way.

They could say: Man don't spend all your money on that junk. eat healthy, you will grow and learn how to train. younger people will listen to a Professional Body Builder. If they say eat this, they will eat it.

I will give you time to respond, I had a bad day. I just drank a beer.

But this helps me talking to you, I feel like I'm doing something good.

Thanks,
jack