My 84 year old father help me cope

Old 11-03-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My 84 year old father help me cope

I will try to be brief. I really need some support. I am in grateful humble recovery..almost two years. Oldest of four. My mother died 5 years ago, dad started drinking to self medicate his grief and depression. He had been to the hospital numerous times, health issues related to alcohol..peripheral neuropathy, he is in denial. I no longer talk to him about it. My sibs do. Went on a bender a week ago fell had mild stroke, BAC was almost .2 at hospital. Doctors have been almost no help and he won't listen to them anyway.

He lives alone and still has a car and drives. Neighbors have contacted me about his drinking and worry about his driving. He insists he can drive after his stay. I am terrified and don't know what to do. Losing sleep over worry that he might get behind the wheel and hurt someone else and/or himself.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your situation pianowoman. I have no experience to share myself, but I know you'll find a ton of responses here

D
Old 11-03-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

pianowoman....If I were in your shoes, I would contact the social worker at the hospital.
I don't know if he will sign a release form for the hospital to share info. about him with you--but you can STILL give them information about him and they can listen. (I had to do this with my own m other at her physician's office and the social worker at the hospital). The hospital social worker has to meet with him and discuss discharge plans.

Contact the doctor that is assigned to his case and tell them that he is still driving a car. If he has had a seizure, or is neurologically impaired, they have the responsibility of reporting this to the DMV. You can put the "bug" in their ear about this.

You can always, if worse comes to worse, contact the police that are l ocal to him and let them know what is going on.....they can get him off the road.

dandylion
Old 11-03-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My mother is an alcoholic, a number of years ago she had an alcoholic seizure in a library, ambulance to the hospital etc. She's OK now, but the doctor told her he was reporting the event to the DMV and was imposing a 30 day license suspension- might be something like that could be put in place. Far as I'm concerned drinking and driving is a public health issue and this seems a clear case where something needs to be done.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Was chatting about this the other day at Alanon.

When to get involved and when not to.

Let's work with When To --

1. When to: Kids are going to be harmed.

2. When to: Other folks are going to be harmed.

I am thinking you are thinking that #2 -- Other folks are going to be harmed.

So how do you get a Driver's License yanked on Over The Hill parent(s)?

This should be a matter that is simpler than Alcoholism.