Notices

Fed up of relapsing

Old 11-02-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fed up of relapsing

Hi this is the first time I've ever posted/ joined this site. I'm only 24 and I've know I've had a problem since I was just 15. Been 9 years I've been battling With drink I just wish I was "normal" and not an alcoholic. The longest I go with out drinking is 6months then I mess up again. I feel so lonely and trapped, when I talk to my husband he doesn't really understand why or how I find it so hard.. Well he doesn't have a drink problem! Anyone else in the same boat as me or managed to beat there addiction in the end? Would be nice hearing from people who understand what I'm going through
Old 11-02-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Burleybaby- Welcome!
I just wish I was "normal" and not an alcoholic.
Yeah, me too, but we're just not wired that way. You found your way here, which is huge. Take some time and read over some of the other postings and I'm sure you'll see that you are not alone.

I can tell you that things do improve, however it does take some work, which includes redefining who you are as a person. This might include finding other non-booze activities and the like.

You've found a great place for support and I do hope I see you around!

Lusher
Old 11-02-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to Sober Recovery BB really nice to meet you

You'll find nothing but support here
Old 11-02-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Burleybaby
Old 11-02-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, it's nice to know your not alone reading other peoples things
Old 11-02-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Burleybaby!!

I went round and round in circles for a year or more, great intentions after a few days or weeks would end up with me drinking again.

I cracked it eventually with an acceptance that I can never control alcohol no matter the time of abstinence, I really needed to part ways with alcohol on a permanent basis, and the second thing was having more support, something to get me out of my own mind when I felt like having a drink would be a good idea.

You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do understand that recovery is not easy, but I wonder what changes you've made in your life during those six months, besides stopping drinking? Were you able to start new activities that interested you or made new sober friends?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome- we understand, my "off switch is broken"

I just wish I was "normal" and not an alcoholic

I think accepting that this statement will never be is the "first" step. Trying to be normal or "be normal again" just brought me increasing misery.

Life's better and easier sober
Old 11-02-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Were you able to start new activities that interested you or made new sober friends?
Anna is spot on. Starting new activities and making new sober friends is crucial. If we continue to do the same things that we did when we were drinking with the same people, we will surely end up relapsing sooner or later.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome I've had a slight issue with lack of support from my husband who doesn't have a drink problem and doesn't really think I do either! You need to talk to him. Glad to have you on board!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too was fed up with relapsing constantly. I started seeing an addiction counselor and it helped a lot. I also come here every day.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome Burleybaby

Glad you found us !
Old 11-02-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome burleybaby
I wanted to be normal too - and that desire would lead me back to drinking again and again.

Are you prepared to accept yet you're never going to be one of those 'normal drinkers'?

D
Old 11-03-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I find myself less and less in the 'wishing I wasn't an alcoholic' space.

I've found it helpful to focus on all the good things that come with sobriety.

I have turned a corner.... It was somewhere around 6-8 months; rather than wishing I weren't alcoholic and could drink like a normal person, I find myself grateful for not drinking at all and kind of confused why anyone would even want to.

Now that's now always, and sure.... Sometimes I have that passing envy or grief... But it quickly fades when I recognize it and refocus on the goodness of sobriety.

I know how hard it is in our 20's. in fact, that's probably exactly why it took me until my 40's to get here.

I hope you find the support and the strength to make sobriety your path at such a young age. If there's anything I wish... It's that I would have discovered how much better life is without alcohol way back then.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Burleybaby View Post
I just wish I was "normal" and not an alcoholic.
You have nooooo idea how many times i've said/thought this exact same thing. But the good news is that we are all in this together, we are all feeling the same things. This is a really great place to come to. Message me if you want to talk. I'm 22, so maybe we have a little more in common because we are around the same age, idk, just thinking.