Notices

Hope You Guys Are Right

Old 11-02-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope You Guys Are Right

And that things get better with time.........struggling at 68 days.

Guess I'm just overwhelmed with anxiety, toxic people that won't go away, looking for a job, and problems with the house and animals.........sad that I get like that because I know so many people have it worse off than me.

It would just be so easy to escape for a while..........

Old 11-02-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Luper, it would only be a temporary escape followed by shame and regret. You're struggling, but with life, and it will improve if you can stay sober.

You can do it, and we'll be here cheering you on! Post as often as you need.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Luper View Post
overwhelmed with anxiety, toxic people that won't go away, looking for a job, and problems with the house and animals.........
Well, that's a full load of poop to deal with!

But, check my math. Drinking makes exactly zero of these problems go away. It makes more than zero of them worse. Escape might seem easy, but I can't make the math add up to anything good.

Pick one of those issues and do everything you can today to improve it.

68 days is FANTASTIC!
Old 11-02-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

68 days sober is wonderful! You have to keep it first and foremost in your mind why you quit drinking in the first place. Non is right. Drinking won't make any of your problems go away, and will add shame and regret to your tomorrow. Say 'no' to drinking and yes to a sober life.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think we tend to forget that even before we drank, life had it's ****** times..ups and downs etc. Drinking certainly won't let you resolve anything 'with a clear head'.

As for the toxic people - is there no way that you can distance yourself from them? People can only treat us, as we allow them to. I know that's easy to say though x
Old 11-02-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If we were lying about things getting better people would have busted us by now Lusher

I'm sorry things are rough right now...but I also know things will get better too...it's nice to have bad days now - not bad weeks or months, y'know?

best wishes

D
Old 11-02-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Luper, I was pretty sure everyone was lying that it got better. After all, they had to lie, didn't they? Life sucked without alcohol, so I guess they just had to make the most of it and pretend it was amazing and great?

Hold on, no matter how hard it gets. For it's only persevering through the tough times, we get to the next levels of sobriety. I can't tell you how wonderful it can be to slowly see life unfold without alcohol.

It really does get better, and it's much better than being drunk and living life in a lie and in a haze.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Creeping up on a year.

It is definitely, definitely better.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Luper it does get better it really does 68 days is fantastic keep up the good work
Old 11-02-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you guys... I really don't know what I would do without SR! I have no one close that understands. I hear, great...you quit drinking. Now all is well..........yeah, right. Quitting was easy...staying quit is hard I think.

This too shall pass........I hope.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Luper, I am dealing with alot of those same things right now. If I got drunk right now, those problems would still be there and I would be less capable of dealing with them. It really does get better. I think a big part of it is getting your head in the game. 68 days is a huge accomplishment. Shut that addictive voice down and then deal with the problems one at a time. Just one at a time! When we think of our problems allat once, they can overwhelm. And if there are things that are beyond your control-let it go.

You can do this!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I understand that. People who are not alcoholics don't realize that we work hard at not driinking especially when life gets stressful.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you guys... I really don't know what I would do without SR! I have no one close that understands. I hear, great...you quit drinking. Now all is well..........yeah, right. Quitting was easy...staying quit is hard I think.

This too shall pass........I hope.
What are you doing in response to the struggles?

Beyond 'not drinking' - how are you actively guiding your sobriety?
Old 11-02-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Adding more to my toolbox everyday FreeOwl. Education seems to be the key now. AVRT, RR, therapy, the many links that Dee and SW have posted. I did attend AA for a while. Just not for me. I have also read a ton of books on recovery, which I find really helpful. Always open for more suggestions.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're on the right path!

For me, AA is a crucial tool. The first two times I decided it wasn't for me.

This time I approached everything in sobriety with openness and it has made a big difference.

Keep exploring and surrounding yourself with what works for you. Emphasis on self knowledge, spirituality and growth as a sober person. It gets better!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that there is a lot of pressure on you. But that is great at 68 days. Perhaps just taking a few hours by yourself out of house or situation might cheer you up? have you thought about donating plasma? You get a few dollars for it, and you can relax in a chair for an hour or so?
Old 11-02-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Luper, firstly, 68 days is brilliant.

And yes, it really does get better with time. We still get the trials and tribulations of life but can deal with them so much better. I really can vouch for it. Stick with it, the benefits of sobriety are amazing.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang in there, alcohol will solve none of those problems, it promises so much but delivers so little!!

68 Days is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It does and will get better, Luper. 68 days is fantastic, truly; great job.

Life will do what life does and throw challenges our way; handling those challenges while sober is so much easier and it is what sobriety is all about (learning to deal with life in a healthy way). While challenges are difficult (and you have an abundance right now), they help build those sober muscles to which lDee so often likes to refer.

You are doing this, Luper. Keep on.

((((Luper)))).
Old 11-02-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Adding more to my toolbox everyday FreeOwl. Education seems to be the key now. AVRT, RR, therapy, the many links that Dee and SW have posted. I did attend AA for a while. Just not for me. I have also read a ton of books on recovery, which I find really helpful. Always open for more suggestions.
I don't know if anyone else suggested this, Luper, but I found journalling helped at one point in my journey. It helped me see that no matter how bad some days got, I got through them. It was almost like a reinforcement that I could be resilient etc. it was also through journalling, I found which people, places and events ( drinking coffee) stressed me, or affected my mood.

It's not for everyone, but there was a good 3 months where I am so glad I journalled.