Notices

3 Days Clean... Is that good?

Old 11-02-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 Days Clean... Is that good?

Newbie here (hi, guys!). I'm going to try and keep this short, and if you're reading any of this, I like you a lot.

First of all, I'm 25 and I already feel like I've lost the past 4 years of my life due to abusing alcohol. I started drinking to numb my anxiety / confidence issues and it's been a downward spiral from there. Although I've never been an everyday drinker, it's becoming something I do at least 3-4 times a week now, and recently that doesn't always have to include weekends (because, you know, Wednesday is a good day to make exceptions).

I can't drink less than a six pack of craft beer (7% ABV and upward on average) in an evening and lately it's only been getting worse. Going 3 days so far is actually a break from my usual routine, so I suppose I'm not only a true alcoholic (I have a family history) but I'm also hoping this small hump is a step in the right direction.

I've never had DT's or anything of that sort, but so far I've been noticing a huge increase of negative symptoms which leads me to believe this is a real detox. The migraines are almost unbearable (and immune to OTC painkillers), the anxiety is worse than usual, and trying to sleep normally is its' own issue.
It's worse than quitting smoking.

Google seems to have differing opinions on the matter, but in your personal experience, how long do these detox symptoms usually last? I feel like curling up into a ball and crying (not really, but it's close). I feel like I kind of deserve it as a reminder to never go back, though. If this experience is painful enough I'll probably never drink again, because I'll know one day I'll have to quit again and it's really not worth putting off.

Any tips, suggestions or personal wisdom is hugely appreciated. Thanks so much!

Old 11-02-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NOiSE View Post

Going 3 days so far is actually a break from my usual routine, so I suppose I'm not only a true alcoholic (I have a family history)

Hopefully you are not alcoholic NOISE. This may just be a good place in time for you to get your priorities straight.

If the family history is there that would be something to keep an eye on.

For the alcoholic
liquor has ceased to be a luxury
and now became a necessity

If that does not ring a bell with you, consider that a good thing, for now.

MB
Old 11-02-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

We spend a considerable amount of time debating what true alcoholism is. To me it doesn't really matter, because this:
Originally Posted by NOiSE View Post
I already feel like I've lost the past 4 years of my life due to abusing alcohol.
is clearly a problem no matter what you call it.

I drank more than what you describe and I never had DTs. I also didn't have migraines. My insomnia lasted about 7-8 days. The anxiety tapered off over time (some days were worse than others) and was completely gone in about 12 weeks. Your mileage may vary.

Congratulations on beginning your sober life!
Old 11-02-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had sweats and insomnia for a few days, I think by day 5 I was feeling a lot better. Back on day 4 again now as I slipped, wasn't worth it.

Oh and 3 days is fantastic! Keep at it!
Old 11-02-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome NOiSE

I agree that if it's something you regret doing, you want to stop but it seems to get worse not better, and 3 days break is noteworthy, I think it's definitely time to do something about it, no matter what you prefer to call it.

as for detox symptoms everyone's different, honestly.
Not many people feel well on day 3 tho.

If you're concerned I recommend you see a Dr

I know you'll find a lot of support here - glad you found us

D
Old 11-02-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome noise - I agree that it is not the same for everyone. Depends on the person and a lot of things.
But that you are concerned over the past 4 years and other issues, you may want to consider giving it up.
I recall bouts of my own stupidity (drinking) in my twenties. How would you like to say I've lost the past 35 years? Some of us can.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi.
During my heavy drinking period in order to finally stop I needed to get honest with myself about MY drinking and then accept the fact I cannot drink alcohol in safety. Previous to stopping I spent a lot of wasted time in my “analysis paralysis” state of mind trying to prove I could drink in safety.
I joined the fellowship and good things began to happen starting with things I didn’t know what I didn’t know and continues to this day.

BE WELL
Old 11-02-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck if your plan is to try and stop drinking for whatever reason im with you

Nice to meet you
Old 11-02-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you think alcohol is a problem, than it probably is. Alcoholism gets progressively worse. If you are drinking 3-4 days a week now, in the future it could end up 7 days a week. Stopping now would be best.

As for withdrawal symptoms, I felt physically better after about a week and emotionally better after a couple of weeks but we are all different.

Congrats on 3 days!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You will get through withdrawal and then you will need a plan. Hanging around SR. is a great start. Take care!
Old 11-02-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum NOiSE!!

It's gonna take time for the body to heal and adjust, it took years of drinking to get here, it's going to take more than 3 days to bounce back.

Give it time and hang in there!!
Old 11-02-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, NOISE

I'm 19 days sober now and had some withdrawals too. Felt pretty weird for the first week.
Feeling (and looking) much better now. I'm glad you are doing something about it while you are young and not waiting 'til your in your 50s like me.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the awesome insight, everyone! I'm not sure what I am, really, and I know labeling it won't change whatever this is. I had a slip up and drank an entire bottle of wine last night, because I was convinced my problems were all gluten-related (some of them actually were, in all fairness) but it doesn't mean slipping up is ever a good thing.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

NOISE, I found that any health problems I had were only made worse by alcohol.

I've not been here that long (35 days sober now) but I've learnt that you need a plan to stay sober, so you need to look at things like changing your routine, and having methods of dealing with cravings. There are lots of tips on this site and the net.

Also, support is crucial, I mostly get support here but I also go to AA once a week.

Good to see you again, wondered where you had gone !
Old 11-15-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Noise,

I am on Day 3 also. Finally got some sleep last night. First 2 days were bad for me and I am 36 and used to drink without any recovery symptoms in my 20s. Like everyone says recovery gets harder with age because all the torture you put your body and mind through. And yes alcohol is progressive and us alcoholics keep pushing our intake limits.