Notices

Staying Sober via online support Forums

Old 11-01-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying Sober via online support Forums

Hi all, still day 1 and my head spinning with thoughts - but today they're mostly positive. Question please - am curious how many of you good people on this SR forum are remaining sober and flourishing in general based on your relationships and support here ? I have been thanking God all day you people are here !!!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

34 days. This is my only outlet. I would do AA if I needed to, but so far so good. I am doing fine without the booze.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I only see my counselor once a month now so the vast majority of my support comes from SR. I'm on here every day. I've made friends all over the world and it's wonderful. I even adopted a cat from one of the members here. (great cat, too)

SR is my safe haven. I can come here any time of day or night and be in good company.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sr is my sole support mechanism.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 7 and this is the only source of support I have used so far. The support has been wonderful!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My main method of support is SR, in early Sobriety I built it into my daily routine, in isolation I always returned to drinking as my own mind would grind me down after a few weeks, so having a check in when I woke up, during my lunch break, when I got home from work and before going to sleep kept me focused on the task at hand . . . and now I check in whenever, it's less regimented but it's still on a daily basis.

The important thing though is getting something that works for you, some need face to face support, daily meetings etc, the key objective is to remain Sober, that's the goal, but the methods for everyone will differ.

Support though is what finally cracked it for me, something outside of myself to short circuit my own thought processes, because my mind was addicted to alcohol, it wanted to drink and so without a second opinion on things there was only one outcome and it would only be a matter of time until I returned to my old ways!!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

me.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello: I have 7.5 months and SR is the only thing I do. I think that the more resources the better but so far this has been working out great. It helps me in 3 ways. Info and education, outlet (venting, verbalizing,etc.) and seeing other's stories which reminds me of not to take that 1st drink. I'm here a lot, every weekday and sometimes (like now) weekends. It has really enhanced my early recovery. For sure!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here - good decision!
I value the support from SR and cherish the fellowship of AA.
At first AA I viewed as "needed" but now relish the program and wouldn't change it for anything.

It's your recovery - find what you need and desire.
Welcome!!!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have used SR as my lifeline for 11 years and I was in recovery for 3 years before that, on my own.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
My main method of support is SR, in early Sobriety I built it into my daily routine, in isolation I always returned to drinking as my own mind would grind me down after a few weeks, so having a check in when I woke up, during my lunch break, when I got home from work and before going to sleep kept me focused on the task at hand . . . and now I check in whenever, it's less regimented but it's still on a daily basis.

The important thing though is getting something that works for you, some need face to face support, daily meetings etc, the key objective is to remain Sober, that's the goal, but the methods for everyone will differ.

Support though is what finally cracked it for me, something outside of myself to short circuit my own thought processes, because my mind was addicted to alcohol, it wanted to drink and so without a second opinion on things there was only one outcome and it would only be a matter of time until I returned to my old ways!!
wow, you are speaking to my core ...... " my mind was addicted to alcohol, it wanted to drink" ..... my brain definitely isn't my friend right now. Thank You !!!!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SR has been my most significant support and community regarding sobriety. Over 9 months sober now. I see a therapist also but it's not focused on recovery primarily. I went to a few AA meetings early on. Honestly, for me SR has been much more than just a forum to talk about recovery from alcoholism, I come here to talk about anything regarding my personal life and others' and have made very valuable connections here. The "secret" for me has been active, regular participation. Good luck to you
Old 11-01-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

At this point, the SR community is my sole support. Reading and posting daily has motivated me to bank 22 days so far. I can't say thanks enough, friends!

Stick around, HOUMJM. You're in amazing company.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

I Got sober on my own tried Aa left at month 11 i found SR at 13 months

im nearly 16 months in 2 weeks still going strong

the thing i love about SR is its a melting pot of recovery and that alone makes it amazing
Old 11-01-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey HOUMJM,

SB is my only support as well, however I did stop drinking back in August, 2013 'cold turkey' on my own. This was only because I was not aware of any online support systems, otherwise I would have lived on here.

I find it to be very useful, even though I feel I'm over the 'hump' so to speak. That's not to say that I don't want to enjoy the booze again, but this site keeps me focused.

However, with Winter fast approaching, and the weather not being as nice, some of my non-booze daily routines will be cut short. Winter has usually been more of the drinking part of the year for me, and with the free time to ponder about having a cocktail, I find that coming here helps to keep that in check. In fact, everything about this forum helps me to keep things in check. After a few minutes of reading how F****** booze is for everybody, the thoughts of having a drink seems to lessen and it just not sound very appealing.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Been using SR since April 2007...sober since then

D
Old 11-01-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

SR alone gave me a good run last year, seven months. I relapsed when I got away from it. This time I am also attending some face to face recovery meetings and see a therapist. I think it depends on the person. SR is definitely my main lifeline, but I found I need a more comprehensive approach. I know I couldn't do this without SR.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

SR is my only support and is working just fine Thankfully it's 24/7 as within 20 minutes walk from where I live, is a shop that's also 24/7 and guess what it sells ! Never did venture there though
Old 11-01-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I joined in may to journal my 2 week taper to quit. I'm still here daily for 3 reasons: Lotsa info, good people and convenience.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Although I utilize some other tools in my recovery, I prize this community at my greatest ally in the fight.