Help me help him!

Old 07-29-2004, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me help him!

Hello, this is my first time. I've fallin in love with a man that I think is an alcoholic but he doesn't recognize it. He drinks once or twice a week but it's never just a few. When he drinks it's usually a 6-pack to a case at a time. He knows he shouldn't be out and understands that he has responsiblities. He's called out of work several times because he was out too late the night before. He has cancelled plans made with me because he needed to sleep because of a previous night of drinking. He knows he's let me down. How can I get him to see that he's hurting himself.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today is my first day in here but the replies I got from people are basically that "you need to help yourself" not him. Is your b/f drinking at home alone or out with friends? It really doesnt matter but sometimes people tend to drink more when out with friends etc.In my opinion i f drinking is affecting his work then it has become a problem.A lot of alcoholics are in denial about their drinking and that may be the case with him. I would talk to him about it and see what he says. Good luck
Old 07-29-2004, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Tiny))) The only person you can help is you. Alanon can help teach you the things you need to know to help yourself. Alanon is for anyone who feels that thier life has been affected by drinking, it may be a parant a sibling or a spouse or bf or SO. Obviously you feel there is a problem or you would'nt have posted here. Look up a local alanon in your area and go to a meeting. Get some literature, listen, talk if you want, don't if you don't. Come here and vent, rage, cry or whatever you feel you need. It's all good. All of us have one thing in common we are all powerless over someone's addiction, we can't control them, we can't fix them. But we can control and fix ourselves. We can have peace in our lives. Give it a try, I don't think you'll regret it, come here often too and let us know how it goes, we help each other here by sharing. Good luck to you, Hugs! Teggie
Old 07-29-2004, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hi tinydancer,
Welcome. SR has a lot of support and love for us guys that need it. Teggie said a lot. There are no quick fixes or easy answers, but we are learning to find some peace and healing here. Be sure to check out the power posts at the top of each forum. A lot of good information. Just know that you don't have to deal with this alone. Hugs, Magic
Old 08-03-2004, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice. I've decided to keep myself happy and healthy. Hopefully he will come around on his own. I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again!