Notices

This too shall pass.....

Old 11-01-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This too shall pass.....

I have some stressful things on my plate right now and have been doing fine dealing with life's little jokes but this morning just really bites! No, I am not going to drink -a few months ago I would have though. But this is testing me.

My hot water heater just blew! I have a finished basement that is now under water, I have to drain the water heater and spend my day wet vacuuming while waiting on the plumber on a weekend who just called to say he is running several hours behind. Add to that the cost a month before Christmas.

Everytime I think I am going to do home improvements that would make my fixer upper look nicer, I end up with some structural problem. Plumbing problems, electrical issues, sub floors etc....arghhhhhhhhh......No one ever comes over and says "you have a such a lovely new sewer pipe".....

Sorry for the rant. I think I just need to go breathe now.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like an awful situation!!

Hang in there, alcohol as far as I know doesn't fix structural problems!!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lol, nope, the liquor store clerk does not know how to fix a water heater.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh man...that happened to a friend of mine. Her hot water heater was in the attached garage (no basements in Texas) and flooded her whole house. I am so sorry that happened to you Sprout! Life can be a real bitch at times. Hang in there.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Well I think your sewer pipe is awesome. Home owner ship is a never ending adventure.

You are right this to shall pass but it doesn't make it easier today
Old 11-01-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try looking at the situation in a different way. Instead of viewing these situations as setbacks; view them as opportunities! Sure, replacing subfloor boards and hot water tanks may not be the sexy, cosmetic improvements, but they will DEFINITELY increase the value of your home!!!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh sprout, how awful.

Nice sewer pipe, girlfriend!!!!!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks folks! I needed a laugh right now. I thought I would run an errand while waiting for the plumber and l almost got hit in the parking lot. Literally, a woman was about 6 inches from running me over! Not my day.

As for the value of my house, since the market recovered, we still owe more on it than we could sell it for. But no sense crying about it anymore. Just have to suck it up and spend tthe money tto get it fixed.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

This happened to me but not the flooding my boiler stopped working and i went without hot water for near 3 weeks

Sorry sprout
Old 11-01-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Oh man, my water heater busted one day when I had taken the day off work because I had the flu (combined with a hangover, real smart). That was a super fun day. Drinking definitely did not improve the situation. Good job handling it like a grown up!
Old 11-01-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That really sucks but you have a great attitude! Thanks for posting
Old 11-01-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I thought I would run an errand while waiting for the plumber and l almost got hit in the parking lot. Literally, a woman was about 6 inches from running me over! Not my day.

OMG sprout, this seriously made me laugh. The same thing happened to me, but the person did hit me (she was backing out of her parking spot and going really slow) and then she got mad at me!!! Serenity now...
Old 11-01-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Josharon, scarey. Well, the plumber called and said he can't make it here today so he wasted the time that I might have been able to get someone else out here. Now I have someone coming but can't until Monday. Icy showers coming for all of us the nextt couple of days.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a home in NYC, built in 1922 that I was renovating. Everything went wrong. One particular day, after I shocked the heck out of myself because of bad wiring..go figure, my wife rented the movie "Money Pit" - I laughed so hard that night it hurt probably because the movie hit so close to home.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh sprout... this ordeal of yours reminds me of a plumbing adventure I had in my apartment back in the summer. Flooding and all, not being able to use the bath tub/shower for days. I even had water dripping from the ceiling through the ceiling lamp in the bathroom... truly scary. But I remained "dry" through all that. Beware of swimming bugs at the basement and cars coming close... other than that... well hang in there
Old 11-01-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry this is happening sprout - but imagine dealing with all this - *and* drunk?

I hope Monday comes soon

D
Old 11-02-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for responding. This house truly has been the money pit. And that is where the real stress is-money!

As for drinking the problems away-never works and won't happen! Having you folks here to talk to when the stress hits, is a big part of my staying sober.