Yoga

Old 10-31-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yoga

Kind of going along with the meditation thread, on September 9 I started in on a daily yoga online practice, and got totally swept up in it, and am now going to weekly Iyengar yoga classes.

Boy, it really helps on so many levels. Not just the "normie" benefits, but it really helps me detach, calm down, focus, see more clearly, and be totally into my own space.

So this is the "me" practice I'm doing, and I'm loving it. Just thought I'd share.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've done yoga on and off over a number of years, and one thing I noticed is that sometimes, during corpse pose (or "relaxation pose", depending on your teacher) at the end of a practice session, I will feel emotions welling up and sometimes end up crying for no apparent reason. That tends to make me believe what I read about how the various poses can unlock or release old trauma or fears...

I agree, it's a great self-care thing to do, and there are so many different forms of yoga, there's one for almost any ability or need.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I've done yoga on and off over a number of years, and one thing I noticed is that sometimes, during corpse pose (or "relaxation pose", depending on your teacher) at the end of a practice session, I will feel emotions welling up and sometimes end up crying for no apparent reason. That tends to make me believe what I read about how the various poses can unlock or release old trauma or fears...

I agree, it's a great self-care thing to do, and there are so many different forms of yoga, there's one for almost any ability or need.
This has happened to me too. It's always, always cathartic when it happens.

Solo- are you using a specific site or program for the online daily yoga? I have found myself struggling to make time for this daily the way that I should & I'm wondering if maybe (like the meditation series) a daily yoga course will help me get back into the habit.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
This has happened to me too. It's always, always cathartic when it happens.

Solo- are you using a specific site or program for the online daily yoga? I have found myself struggling to make time for this daily the way that I should & I'm wondering if maybe (like the meditation series) a daily yoga course will help me get back into the habit.
Serendipitously, I happened to notice an email announcement on the day this particular challenge was starting. I agree-the self-discipline is really hard, but having the curated daily sessions for 21 days was extremely motivating.

My Yoga Online merged with Gaiam TV recently--so you can check or subscribe to Yoga Videos, Classes & More - Streaming 24/7 | GaiamTV.

They just finished a 14-day Beginner series. But if you check the "Guides" tab, they archive all the series there and you can just pick it up on your own. http://www.gaiamtv.com/my-yoga/guide....zqqkn7K9.dpbs
Old 11-04-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love yoga. I got a really cheap group on for a studio in town that I LOVE. I take vinyasa flow classes and I really enjoy them. I build up a tremendous amount of heat. Its a great workout! My favorite teacher has given me adjustments that have given me control over some parts of my body I never realized I had conscious control over before. I never get emotional in shavasana (corpse pose) but I can't imagine that Iwon't ever. It has helped tremendously with my ptsd. It puts me back in my body when I am rarely connected to it.