Notices

This is going to be Hard!!

Old 10-31-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is going to be Hard!!

I have struggled with alcohol since age 18, ironocally right after alcohol killed my father. I'm now 42 and it's causing issues with my son and I fighting. I love my son more than anything in this world and if I don't stop I'm going to lose everyhting I care about. I suffer from depression also and didn't want to admit the two were related but now I am beginning to see it. I just don't know where to start and I'M extremely SCARED!!! I need help and I know it!! I have always been a binge drinker and just shook it off that I'm not really an alcoholic. But seeing that it is interferring with others, I am definitely an Alcoholic and I really want to change!! Anyone, Please tell me where to begin and how in the world to Stop!!!! Please Help me!!!!!!:
Old 10-31-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Kim, to SR. You have found a great place for support, encouragement and understanding. There is also a wealth of information on this site on alcoholism and various recovery methods - the trick is finding the one that works for you.

A visit with your doctor might be a good place to start; are you currently in treatment for depression?

You may also want to join a "Class"; Dee, one of our moderators, will be starting a new class thread tomorrow "Class of November 2014". Communicating with others who are similar stages of recovery may be very helpful.

Wishing you the very best; yes, this might be hard but I have sobriety is worth every ounce of effort and every minute of time.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Kim1972. You have already begun your recovery by posting here. The next step is to avoid drinking, seek medical advice from a doctor if you think you need to, and try not to give up staying sober.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kim your story and mine are the same (minus our fathers)

I came to SR in January under the same pretense, fighting with my wife, lying to my family. I was an excuse making machine in order to conceal and hide my drinking. I had to get honest with myself.

Where to start is easy. Today is your "day one" for your new life. Do not drink today. Clean the house out of all booze and focus on you and your family (son).

This site has been my only help and it has helped me tremendously on my path. Read / post and read more. The people here know what they are talking about!
Old 10-31-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Kim1972, welcome!

You've found a great site to help you in your goal to stop drinking. You'll find a lot of support here. As you read through some of the posts, I think you'll find that many people are either going through, or have gone through what you're feeling- that sort of a lost feeling of where to begin.

Everybody is different, but I feel it's key to formulate some type of a plan. You'll need to start thinking about what you need to change, in order to better help to abstain from alcohol, which is really the main focus of what we all try and do.

Again, welcome and I look forward to seeing you around!

Lusher
Old 10-31-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR youl find a ton of support here

really nice to meet you
Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so Much!! Yes I have been in treatment for depression for a year and a half and it seems to help for a short time then it comes back. I am so incredibly sad and I "think" i can find happiness in a bottle, but it only seems to make matters worse afterward. Please let me know when see starts the new class, I'm having some trouble figuring out all this info on this page. Thanks again!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great quote!!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

Heres the link kim jump right in
Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kim1972 View Post
Thank you so Much!! Yes I have been in treatment for depression for a year and a half and it seems to help for a short time then it comes back. I am so incredibly sad and I "think" i can find happiness in a bottle, but it only seems to make matters worse afterward. Please let me know when see starts the new class, I'm having some trouble figuring out all this info on this page. If you don't mind, email me.....!!!
After you have five post, you can send and receive PM (private messages). At the top of every page (after you log on), you will find a box with your username and a link to private messages. If you have enough post, I will send you the link tomorrow when Dee starts the November and also include it in this thread via another post.

However, if you log-in tomorrow and click "Forums" then "New Posts" you will most likely find the thread on the first pages.

I will send youna couple of links you may find helpful in another post.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dear Kim1972 you don't have to do anything, stop or start. Sobriety is a state of being and if you argue that, you are lost. Recovery isn't so much as admitting but recognizing just how sick you are. Mostly erroneous beliefs. Commit to November class. We'll talk.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Some really great information at this link.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

Here's the link to the Class of October 2014.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Kim, I just sent you a "friend request"; the user box I mentioned to you in another post should be blinking in a dark blue now. If you click "private messages", younwill be taken to your in-box.

You will get used to this site quickly.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hello Kim , welcome
Old 10-31-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kim1972 View Post
Thank you so Much!! Yes I have been in treatment for depression for a year and a half and it seems to help for a short time then it comes back. I am so incredibly sad and I "think" i can find happiness in a bottle, but it only seems to make matters worse afterward. Please let me know when see starts the new class, I'm having some trouble figuring out all this info on this page. Thanks again!!!
Have you spoken with your doctor recently; I am concerned about your experience from last night that you mentioned in another post. You may want to bring him up to speed.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kim!!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2014-a.html

Kim, here is the link to the Class of November 2014 that I promised yesterday I would send to you.

How is it going today, Kim?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you so much!!! You have no idea how much you helped me yesterday!! I can never repay you for your kind words and wisedom!!!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you post!

I had to have face to face support - at first I hated it. But, in a brief time period I found I relish those times spent with others who are just like me = struggling!

You can do this - willingness to change for me was the key. I had to really, really commit to trying by changing bad habits~!

fly
Old 11-01-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi!!!!

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Have you spoken with your doctor recently; I am concerned about your experience from last night that you mentioned in another post. You may want to bring him up to speed.
Soberleigh, I feel like a completely different person today!!!! Today is going to be a Good Day!!! Hope you have one also!!! Thank you sweetie