Notices

Another try

Old 10-31-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another try

I am trying again at sobriety. I tried that failed experiment of regulating my drinking and it's always the same result. I drink more and more and can't stop. I feel ashamed that I relapsed again bit I'm ready for a fresh start here on SR. It's my birthday in a week and I want to be sober.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.
As Dee often asks “do you have a plan?”
This malady we have is so powerful, cunning and baffling we mostly are defenseless for the long run unless we have one.
We need to be honest with our self about our drinking and accept the fact we cannot drink in safety.
Many came here after trying to do things their way which didn’t work time after time. We need to work and change our way of stopping. Many reject that suggestion and continue their misery until the end.
I’d strongly suggest reading a lot of posts here and getting involved in AA to learn how to live without drinking.

BE WELL
Old 10-31-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I second that - it's a rare bird who can get (and stay) sober on their own. It is typical to be resistant to the idea of getting into recovery, but until doctors discover or develop a medication that can block the elaborate genetic precursors and thought processes that lead to deciding to take a drink even when you don't want to, peer support groups like AA and/or therapy seem to work better than anything else out there. SR is good to, but it has the drawback that you can choose to turn it off anytime. The nice thing about meeting actual people in a support group is human interaction - getting that feeling that the person to your left and right, while different in some ways from you completely understands the problem.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

I do usually ask about plans - if I'm not beaten to it lol - I think it's important to have a strategy and a support network in place

D
Old 10-31-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Each healing crisis gets you closer to realizing you are indivisible. Then you are just a truth. Just you. That's enough to cause waves but that's all. We are but flotsam of life and must grab on or sink to the bottom. It's what to embrace that defines us. Open your arms my man!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Fatboy, good to meetcha
Old 10-31-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Fatboyanon; nothing like a new beginning and, yes, maybe a new plan?

Glad you are back.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're trying again.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome back on board, Fatboyanon Sobriety will be the best birthday present you could ever give yourself - good for you!
Old 10-31-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! Moderating drinking for alcoholics is impossible, I think. I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking.