Notices

Dreams about alcohol

Old 10-31-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams about alcohol

I know this topic was posted recently, but for some reason I couldn't find the thread and I just wanted to share what happened to me last night. I had a dream that I suddenly felt guilt because I had drank 2 beers. In my dream I don't know where it happened; all I remember is that I had somehow convinced myself that 2 wouldn't hurt. I woke up believing it was real. Luckily it wasn't and I had a clear memory of what I did last night. Kind of freaked me out though for a few minutes lol
Old 10-31-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have had the same type of dream. I never drink in my drunk dreams, they are always after the fact. I am terrified! I am guilty and trying to decide what to do, who to call, if I should call. I wake up in all out panic.

Some take a while to shake because they appear and feel so real.

I am always so grateful when I realize it was a dream.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Weird isn't it. I've only had one so far and like you I felt so guilty and then woke up thinking it was real lol.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I've had those dreams too. They are no fun but it's always a great sign of relief when you find out they aren't real.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think those dreams are really common especially in early recovery, I find they're more vivid and real in times of anxiety or stress. I wouldn't take it as a bad sign, might be your mind's way of telling you how big a mistake drinking would be. It's healthy to be reminded of the guilt that drinking makes you feel
Old 10-31-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

ive been in a drinking dream but i wasnt drinking everyone around me was trying to get me to drink in the dream it upset me i was like you know im sober and i dont want to drink

havnt had a dream where im drinking in it yet
Old 10-31-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was not drunk in my dream but did drink. In my dream I actually got upset that I had to change my sobriety date. So relieved when I woke up.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have had those dreams, also, dcrr. Like GracieLou, they are "after the fact" dreams; I am never drinking the liquid in my dreams but staring at an empty glass and disgusted with myself.

My unscientific take on these dreams is that if, in my dream, I am unhappy with myself for drinking, that dream (while unpleasant) is okay. If, in my dream, I had been happy withnthe drinking experience, I would be concerned and think that mynreal-life program would need to be improved.

As an aside, do you watch the television show "Mom"; it is about a mother and daughter who are both recovering alcoholics and in AA; the show began last night with the daughter (who is a waitress) picking up unfinished drinks at the restaurant and drinking them; it was a drinking dream. (I immediately thought "drinking dream" but husband said "Uh-oh" when he saw it - he's a consummate "normie" - what a difference in perception and psychology). We alcoholics are different from norms in both our real life perceptions and our dreams.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I actually enjoy having these dreams, weirdly, because the realisation that is was "just a dream" makes me feel fantastic for the day and re-emphasises that I absolutely made the right decision to stop drinking.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had one where I was holding a glass of beer and suddenly loads of giant peanuts (complete with shells) started chasing me. I turned around and they were wearing t-shirts. One said 'Least' and the another said 'Anna'. Weird lol
Old 10-31-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
I had one where I was holding a glass of beer and suddenly loads of giant peanuts (complete with shells) started chasing me. I turned around and they were wearing t-shirts. One said 'Least' and the another said 'Anna'. Weird lol
Fantastic and Beautiful, Chiffon. What a great and significant dream. I would love to see Least and Anna in a dream.

(Consider yourself lucky; my dreams are certifiable; if it were my dream, my t-shirts would have read Thing 1 and Thing 2).
Old 10-31-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Fantastic and Beautiful, Chiffon. What a great and significant dream. I would love to see Least and Anna in a dream.

(Consider yourself lucky; my dreams are certifiable; if it were my dream, my t-shirts would have read Thing 1 and Thing 2).
Lol aww bless
Old 10-31-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think you mean my thread from the other day. Yeah, quite the unnerving dream, lemme tell yuh. Apparently it's normal and I take solace in the fact that a lot of people relate. Thanks for sharing, it further validated that I'm not losing my mind. Ha.