Notices

My alcoholic story started at 6yrs old

Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My alcoholic story started at 6yrs old

Hello:

I have really never shared this in a serious way and it has actually been a "funny" story that my mother tells. When I was 6 I had homework that involved getting a cork. My parents were in a soccer game and I stayed home with the housekeeper. I just remember looking for the corks and then starting to sip a little bit of every bottle. Next thing I remember is being at the hospital. I got my stomach pumped. My mom says they they told her that they could have performed surgery on my because I was totally out, I barely had reflexes...

I'm having all these memories come back...

What does this say about me? Does any one have similar experiences? What would drive a six year old to try booze?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Curiosity, would be my guess. You just didn't have the knowledge about alcohol at that age.

I guess this is why we have locked liquor cabinets.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

same thing that would make a 6 year old drink bleach. That is why they invented childproofing. I don't believe you or any 6 year old would know what you were getting into.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That brings back memories. I remember trying a budweiser that had been left out as a kid with my sister and cousins since we were curious what it tasted like. Thought it was the most awful tasting stuff in the world and was surprised anyone would drink it.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, they say beer is "an acquired taste"
Old 10-30-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Barnumb View Post
same thing that would make a 6 year old drink bleach. That is why they invented childproofing. I don't believe you or any 6 year old would know what you were getting into.
This
Old 10-30-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Had a similar experience around 8. There was a bowl of rice wine in the fridge and I thought it was milk at first. Drank the whole bowl and passed out on the couch. Didn't pick up another drink until 17. It was downhill from there.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Guys...I feel less of a weirdo hearing that I am not the only one who drank when they were a kid. I just don't get it. It taste bad why would I drink so much, what was it about my brain do you guys think that those things are active at that young age?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

my brother when he was about 3 or 4 had his mouth around a keg tapper pouring it down at a party my parents had way back in the day.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

No i dont believe any child 6 or under is trying to get drunk or is a Alcoholic
Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Plus the amount you consumed probably was not as much as you think. small body, low tolerance. Wine has a 13-15% alcohol content.

However it has been shown that teens that drink earlier have a greater chance of becoming an alcoholic later into their adult years. There could be a chance that by presenting alcohol at such an early age may have had an effect of your brain's wiring magnifying the chances? or maybe not?
Old 10-30-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is SO scary..I'm glad you were ok.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Barnumb View Post
Plus the amount you consumed probably was not as much as you think. small body, low tolerance. Wine has a 13-15% alcohol content.

However it has been shown that teens that drink earlier have a greater chance of becoming an alcoholic later into their adult years. There could be a chance that by presenting alcohol at such an early age may have had an effect of your brain's wiring magnifying the chances? or maybe not?
OH totally, my brother and I grew up around alcoholic parents, uncles, aunts, other extended family and now both my brother and I are alcoholics and in treatment.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm realizing how much and how early I really drank. I never thought about it or took it seriously or even considered it but now that I have been reflecting and learning about recovery and sobriety I feel like it is something meaningful to be explored. I remember getting drunk with my cousin (3yrs older than me, also female) at maybe 10, I'm not even sure... Between the ages of 16 and 18 (before I moved to the States) I did a lot of different drugs (always recreationally and really had no trouble leaving those). I have never thought about the effects that that might have had on my brain or how I deal with emotions. I am impulsive as can be... Working through these issues is helping. I want to be able to be self-aware and grow. Thanks for helping me along the way.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My aunt (father's sister) got married in 1960 when I was two years old. To this day, in her wedding album, there's a photo of my two-year-old self in a frilly white dress chugging champagne, surrounded by a circle of adults who clearly thought that was really cute.

Mind you I don't think that was either predictive or troublesome (for the time) but in hindsight, it's prophetic.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

I do believe Conditioning and upbringing play a big part as my family was riddled with addiction like fishcake said

i dont think a 6 year old activly seeks out drink and i dont think at that age a 6 year old can be an alcoholic

but definatly getting conditioned along the way