Notices

hello

Old 10-30-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello

i didn't know where to start so I guessed ill post here

my name is dave, 42, from uk,
ive tried for 5 years to give up drinking, unsucsessfully.
I am now just coming up to 2 months sober,
wow what a difference, from not being able to stop drinking, getting arrested, jail, court, just in a mess, oblivion and blackout.

I don't believe in god, I threw this spanner in the works every single time.

now I have (not completed ill never say ive completed the steps) but ive gone through the steps the best I can with my beleifs.

heres my story from 31/8/2014

of corse I am addicted to alcohol, and I realise the risks I take every time I open a can of beer, my life is a mess, I cant control my drinking, I cant stop, I make a choice to accept I am a small part of a big world and follow some simple guidelines to be part of, instead of me and alcohol fighting against the whole world, (at the age of 7 I remember saying to myself its me against the world now) that's a long time to fight. I write a big long step 4, I share it with a AA member and a burning candle, I then burn the whole written step 4 apart from the list of good things ive done, (this list wasn't as long as the bad things), onto step 6&7 look at my weaknesses, my defects, the way I start to handle situations even without a drink, of corse by this point im ready to have my defects of character removed, humbly asked him to remove our shorcomings, well as ive said I don't believe in god, but im willing to try my best and approach situations in a better manor rather that a negative manor and then end up feeling bad and thinking a drink will help, step 8 I had a list from step 4, step 9, I was advised the best I can do is a living amends, ive done a few amends in person, but advised to now concentrate on making living amends as ive said sorry and promised ill stop drinking and getting in trouble so many times and failed, personal inventory, yes look over my day, apoligise if I need to, see where I could have done better, and a pat on the back for things I did well/ok, prayer and meditation, I speak at AA meetings, and I listen, that's the best I can do as a none believer in god, but prayer is talking/speaking, meditation is to listen, for me, im speaking about me/my recovery, 12 of corse ill try my best to pass this message on and help others.

have I had a spiritual awakening, I don't know, but I do know I feel much better I feel content with what I have instead of want want want, the grass was always greener on the other side until one day I realised its actually just as brown on both sides, money and material things? I would probally be dangerous with loads of money, I get by, im happy and content with what I have, I would like my own house instead of renting, but hey, ive got a roof over my head, im content with that, id like a car of my choice, but hey I have a car a licence I can drive to AA meetings, if I really want another car its practicing my patience and tolerance and save up, (you may guess my hobby is cars, old cars, fords, drag racing), hey a man needs a hobby

good day to you all

may you all stay sober for 24 hours

god bless you

comments and advice welcome, im not new to AA recovery, but I am new to living a sober life and have learnt that AA is a programme to recover, not recover to do a programme, put some work in and whatever your beleifs sobriety will follow

dave
Old 10-30-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A very warm welcome from down south, dave Congratulations on your sober time - you've clearly worked very hard to achieve that. Thank you so much for sharing your story
Old 10-30-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two months sober! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Fast Focus Nice to meet you
Old 10-30-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations fastfocus, I just hit two months myself. How are you with cravings? I'll be fine for days, then it will hit out of nowhere. Are you getting any of that?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Dave, welcome to SR. I've been sober for over 2 years and I'm sure this forum has kept me on track.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyinphilly View Post
Congratulations fastfocus, I just hit two months myself. How are you with cravings? I'll be fine for days, then it will hit out of nowhere. Are you getting any of that?
no cravings this time now, I did in the first week, because 6 days in I bought a case of lagers but I didn't drink them, they went down the sink, but I do still get thoughts of drinking, but its what I do with those thoughts, usually I tell them to f !!! off, as long as I don't sit on those thoughts and entertain them in any way, and realise exactly the meaning of euphoric recall, im in with a chance, I cant get drunk if I don't take the first mouthful

hope you continue your path of sobriety

dave
Old 10-30-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome fastfocus! The aspect you wrote on your spiritual awakening was powerful. I'm glad that you're here!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey fastfocus, A big welcome and congrats on the two months!!!

You have found a great site here, where there is a lot of support. I look forward to seeing you around.

Lusher
Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

2 months is great!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Dave, and congratulations on two sober months!!!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dave. Congrats on two months! Glad you've joined us.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dave!!
Old 10-30-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 10-30-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to have you with us fastfocus - AA really sounds like it's working for you

D
Old 10-30-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad to meet you! Thanks for your story and for joining us on your journey.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

fastfocus, I found your post inspirational. I had a hard time at first understanding why. I had to reread your post to get a sense what inspired me.

Then this jumped out at me. "ive gone through the steps the best I can with my beleifs."

That was it. The best you can with your beliefs.

I don't think I can decide to believe anything either, so I just do the best I can with what I have.

And yes, if you ask me, what you said about the other side of the fence is a bit of a spiritual insight.

However, I have a feeling that with a bit more sobriety, you may see green grass everywhere.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome Dave from a southern softie ! Glad to have you with us, and thank you for your inspirational post.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for the warm welcome

its just so different, but of corse im still so much on guard as I don't want to loose what ive gained, I was at a meeting the other night when a friend walked in drunk, it hit me so hard in my stomach, like sh!t that could have been me.

just to be on more of a level, have feelings, all be it sometimes I don't enjoy my feelings.

step 6 meeting last night was excellent, and again I learnt still more.

take care everyone