Notices

Dont know how to make things better

Old 10-30-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dont know how to make things better

I have known for some time that I am dependant on alcohol ... It has got to the stage that I do not know what to do to make it better. I adore my family but I am ruining my relationship with them as I constantly get into a dark place so buy and drink a bottle of Vodka a night. Can anyone please give me some advice on how to make things better. I do not want to go to my doctor for medication as I am quite a private person who does not open up to people easily. I can beat myself up enough without anyone else judging me. I have read Alan Carrs book and have just purchased Jason Vales book in the hope of getting some inspiration but have not started to read it yet, I think I am beyond reading a book for inspiration. Any advice would be so welcome x
Old 10-30-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gizzie

Not drinking will make things better - it's just a question of what you need to do in order to make that happen.

Reading books is good, but what if, like with the Allen Carr book, that's not enough?
Have you thought about what else you're prepared to do?

Getting sober was very uncomfortable for me - I don't think there's any easy way to do it - but the support here helps.

As for the Dr - I really think it's best you go and see one - private person or not withdrawal can sometimes be dangerous - be safe

D
Old 10-30-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR.

I drank every night to escape my dark place. Or so I thought. What I came to find out was that the drinking was causing my dark place. Persistent alcohol use causes depression and anxiety for months after the immediate relaxing effects of the liquor wear off. People told me that, but I didn't believe it until I was sober for a few months.

I was in a prison of my own making, but now I am free.

It's difficult at first, but there are ways to get there. Keep reading and posting here at SR. We all have to fight it for ourselves, but no one has to fight it alone.

You can do this.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Gizzie - try this I'm orignally from NI myself so an extra big welcome from me x

Addiction NI - Your alcohol and drug treatment charity
Old 10-30-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Gizzie, welcome.

As Dee said, the only person who can stop drinking is you, but we will support you here.

We won't judge you here , as we are all in the same boat as you.

Glad you found us.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

gizzie, lots of us have been where you are now, in despair and ashamed. There is a way out and you'll find it if you're willing to swallow your pride and seek help. Is it worth doing something hard for the sake of your family?

You may be a private person, but I'm guessing you don't want to seek medical help because you're ashamed you're in this situation. I would urge you to get over that feeling fast. See a doctor and ask for help. They may not prescribe medication, but they will make sure you detox safely, and they'll give you moral support. You'll feel better too.

A doctor won't see you as a moral failure (like you see yourself) but as a person with a medical condition. My doctor didn't do much, but it was great confiding in him, and once I did get sober it was a big boost to visit and report success.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome gizzie. Being in that dark place and drinking is something we know about here on SR. We can support your choice to stop and come into the light -- and it's there, believe me.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement xx
Old 10-30-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Gizzie

What D said
Old 10-30-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family. We all come form a dark place, that's how we got here. The fact you found us solidifies you have a problem with alcohol. This is a progressive disease and will get worse if not treated. You will need a plan. Being a private person doesn't help as for this to work you will need to reach out. The first thing is to accept the problem, the second it to find the strength to ask for help. You have friends and family, people care about you. I am sure if you come clean with them they will help you along. We are also here 24 / 7 to work through issues, cravings, discuss what our professions are, all kids of crazy discussions!! but we are here and want to help. It is part of our therapy! We are all in this together.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. Knowledge is good, but it won't make you stop. You have to do that. Stop buying the bottle, stop drinking entirely. Ride out the temptation to buy it in a healthy manner, however you can. Repeat. It will be hard at first, but will get easier. If you have really bad physical withdrawal you should go to a doctor for help. You CAN do this.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat gizzie. I did not want to talk to my doctor about my alcohol problem either since I don't exactly trust the medical confidentiality.
However, you need to be careful. Withdrawing from alcohol can be dangerous and/or lethal.
All you need to do is commit to not drinking. It's not easy, but the people here are awesome!
Old 10-30-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi.
Reading all the best books about getting sober is good however they won’t get most of us sober.
What will work is APPLICATION of what was read and sticking with it even if we don’t want to. This requires change from our old ways of doing things such as being honest about our drinking. Seeing and being honest with a doctor is strongly suggested.
Reading posts here are very helpful but only you can get you sober and it’s work one day at a time in a row.

BE WELL
Old 10-30-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by gizzie View Post
I do not want to go to my doctor for medication as I am quite a private person who does not open up to people easily.
I'm guessing if someone suggests AA you will say the same thing about why you don't want to go.

You are seeking advice. Here's mine. Don't make recovery so conditional, based on what you won't do. Make it about what you will do. And I suggest be willing to do ANYTHING.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gizzie View Post
I have known for some time that I am dependant on alcohol ... It has got to the stage that I do not know what to do to make it better. I adore my family but I am ruining my relationship with them as I constantly get into a dark place so buy and drink a bottle of Vodka a night. Can anyone please give me some advice on how to make things better. I do not want to go to my doctor for medication as I am quite a private person who does not open up to people easily. I can beat myself up enough without anyone else judging me. I have read Alan Carrs book and have just purchased Jason Vales book in the hope of getting some inspiration but have not started to read it yet, I think I am beyond reading a book for inspiration. Any advice would be so welcome x
Reading books is a great strategy in my opinion. Jason Vale pretty much just copies off what Alan Carr says in his book so if you've already read Alan Carr's book then you get the idea. I think the important thing is to sign into SR every day to keep yourself near like-minded people. There are tonnes of great suggestions and advice coming from the posters on these forums, and as we know, it's difficult to explain to people the nature of addiction if they aren't addicted themselves. SR has helped me stay sober and I'm a private person like you.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome and what Carl said!