Notices

Wow some posts scares me

Old 10-29-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow some posts scares me

Some of these post actually scares me. I read one about, what people are going through 1-2 years down the road. I ask my self? Am I going to have to go through that.

One day I may go through that. But for now, I'm going day by day.

Any advice for reading all the Post? or is this what it takes to wake me up!
Old 10-29-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

While we all share the same problem, alcoholism, our experiences in sobriety can be very different. Try not to focus too much on how others are dealing with it aside from the positive things they do to stay clean. Focus on your own recovery because it is unique for everyone. There will certainly be a lot of ups and downs along the road but with a good recovery plan you can deal with the downs better.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would rather deal with what's down the road sober than to be a drunk for the rest of my life.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You may experience it, you may not. Everyone's journey to and during sobriety is different, from what I can see. If you can learn from someones else's experience by simply reading about it, I say that is a good thing. Maybe you can avoid something scary in the future.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Some of them scare me too, but I try to focus on the positive ones and not get too upset with the negative ones. I keep the focus on my recovery, first and foremost.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

You may or may not, I see people struggle on here day to day, only make it a few days and drink or use again, but I only focus on myself and my recovery. I'm 13 days sober but I have not craved once, me being sober has been actually extremely easy. It's easy for some, harder for most. You just have to focus on you.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the good advice
Old 10-29-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can promise you jp - anything is better than where you've been - I've never regretted getting sober.

Life goes on and I still have up and down days, but I love my life

D
Old 10-29-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try not to worry about, predict or live in the future
Old 10-29-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The thing to remember as well is people tend to post here when they're going through a bad time, not because they're negative people but "Everything went alright today" isn't much of a talking point. So I think that can sometimes cast sobriety in a more negative light than is reality.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

JP they scare the living daylights out of me too. Makes me question why I'm doing this. Then I think back to my last days of drinking and, know I can't go back there. Pray I don't.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

What's even scarier to me is what will happen if I ever pick up a drink again.

We alcoholics seem to have very sensitive radar when it comes to anything negative or, in some cases, when we're looking for excuses not to get sober. Don't minimize or overlook the dozens (Hundreds? Thousands?) of comments from people who have successfully turned their lives around, and who would not trade their lives for anything.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I found SR site and all the people
Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, JP123!

Earlier this week, I offered this observation to a newcomer:

"What I learned (when I joined SR) when I joined is that everyone's story is different and everyone's story is the same. We want freedom from addiction, period.

"I joined SR a little over a year ago. I haven't had a drink in more than 14 months."

When I first joined, I also was a little taken aback by many posts. For me, some of it was daunting and, to be completely candid, I had fears that relapse was a foregone conclusion. Not true. Not true at all.

But what I did -- and what I recommend for anyone who is new here -- is to join your class. Yours would be the Class of October 2014. There, you'll find people in the same place as you -- new to sobriety -- and you can give and receive support from that perspective. Dee is a steady presence in the classrooms and he is terrific. Wise.

I joined my class here on SR and for my first year, that is where I devoted most of my efforts. The online camaraderie we've gained has been indispensable to my sobriety and growth in recovery. I care greatly for my classmates and feel very fortunate to have grown alongside them. They're wonderful and I continue to consider my class the heart of my experience on SR.

After a year, I began posting in this forum more frequently -- not because I became Ms. Smarty Sober Pants but because I began feeling more comfortable offering support or feedback. I've also come to enjoy exchanges with many here. Lots of great people on this forum, too.

Whatever you decide, remember this: You can do it.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info. I did not know what Class of October 2014 even was. Can I delete the post "some of the post scares me"

I think it offended some

again, Thank for the Help
Old 10-29-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Didn't offend me
Old 10-29-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You were honest and this is a place of honesty. I certainly took no offense.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Often, when some of us (even those with lots of sober time) have a bad day, it's good to be able to vent in a place where you feel safe. When you need a friend at 3am, there's always someone here to say "it's going to be okay".

But it's not all gloom and doom here. In fact, there are a lot of success stories shared here too! Many of us are kicking butt. We are getting new jobs, moving to new homes, learning languages, writing novels, sharing artwork, and building awesome families. Someone on this board just accepted a new job today, in fact, and it was fun to congratulate her. There was also a post recently titled "What do you do for a living?" - you should read that and see what an intelligent group this is.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I once heard that addiction is an affliction of "forgetting". We forget how bad it was. We forget we can't have one etc etc etc.

Scary posts hopefully remind us to stay connected to our sobriety. Just recently I allowed myself to be a bit carried away from my own sobriety. I think I even started wondering about some "someday" down the road.

Just over 4 months ago...after a few stumbles, I woke up and realized I wanted sobriety more than anything else in this world.

I gotta keep remembering that. Stay connected to your sobriety...whichever way you can.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can close the thread if you like JP, but I think your thread may help others who are feeling scared too.

I remember how I felt coining here - no offence felt here either