Notices

What was the height of your drinking? behaviors etc...?

Old 10-29-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What was the height of your drinking? behaviors etc...?

I am curious to know how I relate to other members. I believe I have an alcohol problem, and my sister just told me that I wasn't drinking THAT much. I personally don't care if I was drinking five bottles of whiskey or three glasses of wine a day. I feel SO good sober that I can't believe I wasted so much time drinking and obsessing over the buzz. I was drinking a bottle and a half of wine daily. I would definitely say that is excessive. And even that was me trying to control the beast and cut myself off by 6 30pm.
Any stories to share? Any one with similar things to say?
Old 10-29-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't tell people when I stopped drinking so I wouldn't get input that would make me question myself.

I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a natural human instinct to compare and contrast, to try and gauge where we fit in...but it really doesn't matter with alcohol IMO...

I know guys who drank less than me who have died, and people who drank more than me who are still drinking,. seem happy and themselves don't identify as alcoholic.

I drank enough to be drunk from sunup to bed time by the end.

D
Old 10-29-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapethecycle2 View Post
I am curious to know how I relate to other members. I believe I have an alcohol problem, and my sister just told me that I wasn't drinking THAT much. I personally don't care if I was drinking five bottles of whiskey or three glasses of wine a day. I feel SO good sober that I can't believe I wasted so much time drinking and obsessing over the buzz. I was drinking a bottle and a half of wine daily. I would definitely say that is excessive. And even that was me trying to control the beast and cut myself off by 6 30pm.
Any stories to share? Any one with similar things to say?
Welcome and our best wishes are going your way.
This website is full of stories. Explore the pages. You will find whatever you are looking for.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I didn't tell people when I stopped drinking so I wouldn't get input that would make me question myself.

I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking.
Like I said, even if others think I wasn't overdoing it, I KNOW I was. That's what matters. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I heard the same thing from people around me but it's not up to them to decide. I got over it. Best decision ever!!!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If I wasn't at work, I was drinking. I was always fine socially, just chatty. The rest of the time I was sat watching tv, drinking and smoking. One cig per two beers, that's what I'd do, hour after hour, day after day.

But I was destroying myself. My life revolved around it, I was destroying my health, I was hungover every day and I was miserable.

My behaviour though was never really the problem.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
I heard the same thing from people around me but it's not up to them to decide. I got over it. Best decision ever!!!
I completely relate! thanks for the input
Old 10-29-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
If I wasn't at work, I was drinking. I was always fine socially, just chatty. The rest of the time I was sat watching tv, drinking and smoking. One cig per two beers, that's what I'd do, hour after hour, day after day.

But I was destroying myself. My life revolved around it, I was destroying my health, I was hungover every day and I was miserable.

My behaviour though was never really the problem.
Yeah I believe that my laziness when I drank was very monotonous and depressing. I wasn't ever going outside unless it was to get more alcohol. I had to have a drink before I did anything social or else I refused to do it. I got nothing done aside from excelling at work, but I was sober at work, so that's saying a lot.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Think that says it all
Old 10-29-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Ever see the movie world war z? I was like one of the zombies trying to scale the wall
Old 10-29-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would echo others who said their behavior hadn't necessarily become a noticeable problem (yet). I was and am excelling at my job too (so far). It's funny, but I just realized that my worst drinking days were actually during the same times when I was offered big promotions. Weird.

I can look back at some crazy times when I was younger but nothing notable has happened recently, other than the soul-crushing need to drink more and more, and the despair and hopelessness that was starting to become my new normal. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapethecycle2 View Post
Like I said, even if others think I wasn't overdoing it, I KNOW I was. That's what matters. Thanks for the response.
Nailed it.

I reckon we all have different sized cups..... So it doesn't matter at what point anyone else's cup ran over.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The rule of thumb is if alcohol is causing you problems in life then it's time to address your relationship with alcohol regardless of volume!!

For me I needed to make a few changes!!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

My experience is similar to yours. A bottle of wine contains 5 drinks. I was drinking a pint of whiskey a night. That's 7 drinks. That was enough to completely spin me around and screw me up. I was an at home wait until everything was done no problem type drinker. When I quit nobody believed my drinking qualified. I was hiding it after all. I even had a alcohol counselor tell a room full of kids that people like me(not me specifically) were not alcoholics. He said an alcoholics brain says drink or you will die. There came a point that I realized if I didn't quit drinking I would die. Love your username! That's how it felt. I was escaping a cycle.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
I would echo others who said their behavior hadn't necessarily become a noticeable problem (yet). I was and am excelling at my job too (so far). It's funny, but I just realized that my worst drinking days were actually during the same times when I was offered big promotions. Weird.

I can look back at some crazy times when I was younger but nothing notable has happened recently, other than the soul-crushing need to drink more and more, and the despair and hopelessness that was starting to become my new normal. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not.
I can so relate!!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Anyone who knew me well and cared about me told me I had a problem with my drinking.

The only people who would co-sign my denial bull___ were people who I got wasted in the pub with. And soon they all disappeared, as I became an alone drinker at home.

My alcoholism progressed pretty thick and fast.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
My experience is similar to yours. A bottle of wine contains 5 drinks. I was drinking a pint of whiskey a night. That's 7 drinks. That was enough to completely spin me around and screw me up. I was an at home wait until everything was done no problem type drinker. When I quit nobody believed my drinking qualified. I was hiding it after all. I even had a alcohol counselor tell a room full of kids that people like me(not me specifically) were not alcoholics. He said an alcoholics brain says drink or you will die. There came a point that I realized if I didn't quit drinking I would die. Love your username! That's how it felt. I was escaping a cycle.
Thank you! Yes, whether any of us are "alcoholics" or not, we were ashamed and knew it had more control than it should over our mind and bodies. Alcohol has never done me any favors. It's like having a parasitic twin that made me feel interesting, but it all it did was make me look strange while it sucked the life out of me. Sorry if that is a bizarre comparison, but hey.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't mind sharing. I hope it shows the progression and health decline.

2006-2009: 1/4 fifth to 1/2 a fifth of vodka every night mixed with soda. I felt satisfied with this amount and would drink water before bed. Hangovers almost nonexistent. I did not drink to blackout, just happy buzz. I still had an OFF switch in this phase.

2009-2013: >half liter (.5-.6 L) of vodka every night mixed with diet soda. 360 days a year. Hangovers 365 days a year. Blackouts became weekly. Only nights off were flu or too hungover to even drink. Cured hangovers with more vodka the next night. Never missed work. Never puked either, just felt like death all day, every day. I had a headache for four years. OFF SWITCH BROKEN.

Blackouts became destructive and dangerous.

2013-June 2014. Stopped the vodka. Could no longer handle the hangovers. 12 beers a night, 4-6 nights a week. Too hungover to drink two other days. Sick and tired every day.

June 27th: LAST drink. LAST hangover. I was too sick to continue. Hangovers became nuclear, even with beer.

June 2014-NOW: No hangovers. No blackouts. No shame. No regret. No headaches. No daily diarrhea. No drained bank accounts. No panic attacks.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I didn't drink everyday or maybe not every week but it caused me problems when I did. The amount more and more also... Over it!