Notices

Went to the doctor regarding hypochondria

Old 10-28-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to the doctor regarding hypochondria

So I went to the doctor regarding my anxiety and health worries.

He told me the red mark on my stomach might be spider nevi, but as its just the one, it doesn't concern him enough to warrant further testing as some people just have them.

He also expressed concern over my weight, which to be honest, I don't think is that bad. I look like a weigh less than I do. Unless I'm very much in denial, I'd imagine people with describe me as "chubby" rather than very unhealthy. I can outperform plenty of more aesthetically pleasing members of my gym.

I could sure use losing a few pounds, I know that. But it was the equivalent of someone just calling me a bit fat, which i didn't find too helpful.

With regards to my anxiety he pretty much told me it will take an extremely long time to get counselling and medication is very hit and miss.

All in all I was pretty disappointed. I pretty much didn't feel I was taken seriously. Especially considering these issues pushed me into a decade long downhill spiral i'm very lucky didn't leave me permanently damaged, or worse. Just got to try and face my anxiety problems on my own, I suppose.

I've come home feeling worse than when I left.

No Relapse, No Surrender.

Tom.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If things don't seem to get any better in a couple of weeks, you might want to get a second opinion. Not that your doctor doesn't know what he's talking about, but mainly just for your peace of mind.

No Relapse, No Surrender. I like that.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, Tom. Would it be possible to get a second opinion? Maybe see a psychiatrist instead about your anxiety?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tom, Sorry to hear that the doc wasn't very helpful. Is getting a second opinion a possibility? It's important to have someone you trust when searching for insight.

And if I haven't told you before, your signature "No relapse, No surrender" is such a powerful statement. Best wishes, friend.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Tom,

For a while I suffered from what was referred to as "generalized anxiety." This lasted several years, and I thought it was just who I was. This actually began when I starting drinking far more than I had been, and actually subsided after I stopped. I'd say I noted the anxiety lessen after around 10 months or so of sobriety. I see that you've recently stopped yourself, so perhaps yours might subside as well?
Old 10-28-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tom, it sounds like your doctor is looking at your body as a mechanic would look at a car. He doesn't sound very empathetic. Or perhaps he's just now aware of your specific concerns.

But look on the bright side- if you were really as sick as you worry you are he would have said something! Just keep with sobriety, keep going to the gym and work on your life as you do.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ugh, that is so frustrating Tom. Do you have any other options? I know in the US and the UK (and I imagine many other places) it is not so easy to "get a second opinion" or insist on tests.
Is seeing a psychologist privately an option? It is money well spent if you find the right person.
Pardon my lapse in memory, but aren't you working part time as a trainer at a gym? If that is the case, are you able to go for free to work out when not working?
Lastly, if you feel good about your weight, unless it is a major health issue, then leave it.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Is it a multi gp surgery? If so I would go and see one of the others. I would have come out and cried! Did he actually put you on the waiting list for counselling? It is a long wait but the sooner you get on it the better. Re anxiety meds, for some people they don't help, for others they make a huge difference and there is no way of knowing without trying. I think your doctor fobbed you off and you deserve to be taken seriously and get the help you are asking for. Go see a different one and insist that they help you
Old 10-29-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Are you in the UK Tom? If so, you should have a local council led alcohol support service, which is automatic counselling
Old 10-29-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I know what you mean Thomas