Notices

334 days... been a bit difficult lately

Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

334 days... been a bit difficult lately

Since Thanksgiving (I am in Canada so that was a couple of weeks ago) I have felt a stronger urge to give in and drink. I have crippling anxiety these days. I seriously thought the anxiety I had was due largely to drinking before now I wake up and wonder what symptoms will set me off during the day. It's a bit frustrating because I really thought by now I would be in a better place. I am not saying I am in a terrible place but I feel like lately I have been down.

I had a minor operation a couple of weeks ago (no pain meds) but since then it feels as if I am emotionally weak and will cry and take offense to anything (kind of like when i was drinking) and I start to ask myself the crazy question of what the point is? I feel like it's truly impossible to really kick back and relax. I admit I am a bit jealous of my friends I was out with tonight who could put their feet up and have a few drinks.

Sobriety has been the only choice for me I know. But now I am in overdrive most of the time. I make money from my paintings and every chance I get I paint and I should be happy now that I am selling and making money but I feel like I am just running on a wheel and once I've stopped painting for the night the anxiety begins.... I should be doing more.

I've made so many good life decisions in the last 11 months and I feel like I have come a long way some days. However lately I have been leaning on the romantic days of wine and cigarettes. I guess it's just a rough period.
Besides the plethora of drunken incidents i have to choose from I have the thought, -at least I am not hung over dealing with this anxiety- that would be worse. and things will be better than the last few weeks if I stay sober.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you think a bit of PAWS might be the problem?

Don't underestimate what other pressures you've had, like surgery /stress etc, can knock our metabolism off course.

Be gentle on yourself, you've got some good time under your belt. Life does have bumps, sober or not.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cusper, your new avatar is gorgeous; is it one of your paintings??!!

Have you considered yoga or meditation to help with the anxiety?

334 days is great, Cusper.

(Edit: just saw your response to my same question on another tread - truly beautiful work, Cusper!!!!).
Old 10-27-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Croissant, yes, I think it very well could be PAWS. My head just doesn't feel quite right and yes, I also do think it was the operation. I have a young son and a husband that doesn't really believe in being sympathetic to others in pain because he thinks it just perpetuates the problem but I don't have a lot of space to myself to recover. I guess I just didn't want to make a big deal of it.

Thanks again Soberleigh. It is one of my paintings. I love rainy street scenes... or just anything to make a painting glow. I will put up a new one later, let me know what you think. I am always a bit selective because I am afraid one of my friends might be on here and would be reading my posts.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cusper View Post
Croissant, yes, I think it very well could be PAWS. My head just doesn't feel quite right and yes, I also do think it was the operation. I have a young son and a husband that doesn't really believe in being sympathetic to others in pain because he thinks it just perpetuates the problem but I don't have a lot of space to myself to recover. I guess I just didn't want to make a big deal of it.

Thanks again Soberleigh. It is one of my paintings. I love rainy street scenes... or just anything to make a painting glow. I will put up a new one later, let me know what you think. I am always a bit selective because I am afraid one of my friends might be on here and would be reading my posts.
I completely understand, Cusper. You are a very gifted artist.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Actually yes, I think I am going to look for a yoga class nearby. My sister in law suffers from the same types of anxiety that I do and she says that yoga is really really helping her.

I really think a lot of my anxiety also comes from this bubble I live in- I need to get out in the world a bit more and I think my brain wouldn't be in overdrive so much. Yoga seems like a good start.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there Cusper! Yoga sounds like a good idea!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love the painting Cusper - you have great talent

Have you ever spoken to any one professionally about your anxiety?

D