Notices

First AA meeting...

Old 10-27-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

First AA meeting...

Don't know what I was expecting, and I was pretty nervous, The meeting was held in a small community centre with about ten people there of varying ages. First thing that happened was that one of the women gave me a hug and a cup of tea.

They gave me a silver chip for 16 days sober. It was a discussion meeting, so everyone talked about their personal experiences and so much of it hit home I felt like crying.

It was said that along the way, we process all those emotions that we should have processed at the time we started drinking, but didn't because we were drunk. That struck such a chord with me.

Everyone talked about how much they have changed as people along their journey of recovery.

I did say a few words but just to thank everyone for their talks, as I felt they were mostly gearing them to me. I have so much to process, so much was said that applied to me. I need some more humility too.

I'm still not sure about the god element but I'm definitely going back next week- it was completely different to what I expected and everyone made me so welcome.

I would say, as a newbie, to my newbies friends here, go, and just listen. Go with an open mind. Give it a try. It's only two hours of your life, and if it helps, it will be well worth it. If you don't like it, you have lost nothing. If I never went again, I have learnt so much about myself tonight, it was worth it just for that.

If you had told me two months ago that I would actually manage to stop drinking and go to AA, I would have laughed til I did this
Old 10-27-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Janie
Old 10-27-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done Janie

First meeting is always a bit scary, but then we realise the people there are just like me & you. Just normal looking folks who gather together to share their experience, strength & hope.

Its a very uplifting experience.

If you got a lot out of it, keep going back .... AA works best with regular attendance
Old 10-27-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you enjoyed it and got something out of it.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on your recovery.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you! I've thought of going but the whole God thing scares me a little. I should probably get past that and go see what it's all about...sounds like it helped you. Way to go!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job! I have been going to a meeting everyday since last Tuesday. I couldn't go today because of an appointment and I felt like I was missing out.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coffeenotbooze View Post
Good for you! I've thought of going but the whole God thing scares me a little. I should probably get past that and go see what it's all about...sounds like it helped you. Way to go!
I can assure you that AA consists of many many members who had the same feelings. In fact .... the guy who started it all wrote this about his experience with the guy who ultimately helped him get sober (Bill didn't drink for 25 years)

"Come, what's all this about?" I queried.
He looked straight at me. Simply, but smilingly, he said, "I've got religion."
I was aghast. So that was it-last summer an alcoholic crackpot; now, I suspected, a little cracked about religion. He had that starry-eyed look. Yes, the old boy was on fire all right. But bless his heart, let him rant! Besides, my gin would last longer than his preaching."

Ebby Thatcher was the guy & Bill literally sat there drinking Gin & nodding his head at Ebby going "oh really, how nice for you Ebby"

An hour or so later & quite a few gins, Ebby was shown the door in a none too gentlemanly fashion.

Obviously something changed Bills mind though .... look at the legacy he left us alcoholic folk.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Thank you for your replies, everyone.

Yeah, Coffee, give it a go !
Old 10-27-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post

An hour or so later & quite a few gins, Ebby was shown the door in a none too gentlemanly fashion.

The history of AA is important (to me) so just a quick correction regarding that meeting between Bill and Ebby. After their meeting, Bill walked Ebby to the subway that night and gave him a warm send off, at least according to the only one of them who was sober that evening. You can hear Ebbys account of it here from about the 30 to 32 minute mark on this recording. Ebby Thatcher, Ebby's Views , Memphis TN.1958 - RecoveryAudio.org

I've never heard of Bill doing anything like showing Ebby the door. I would be very curious where the reference for that information comes from Hawks.

Anyway Janie, Congrats on working up the courage to go to your first meeting. I can relate quite a bit to what you wrote. All the best to you.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You have a great attitude.

Keep approaching it like you are and you will find a lot of strength and growth in AA.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job on trying A A. I was nervous the first time. It took a few meetings to actually share but now am 2/3 through my 90 in 90. A A has helped change my life. I hope it does the same for you
Old 10-27-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Why does every thread about AA end up in a debate about semantics or details? Janie went to a meeting, it was extremely positive for her and that IS the ultimate goal "to help the alcoholic who still suffers". Good job Janie! Keep going back! I am SO glad it was a positive experience for you!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yaay, Janie!!

Way to bravely go somewhere you hadn't gone before!

I love my little AA fellowship; my life revolves around it right now. Even tired after work tonight, I was happy to go there. I don't love every single meeting, or every single person, but - put all together - it is a supportive & essential community for me.