Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Do alcoholics get less than better service from a business if they know he is an alco

Notices

Do alcoholics get less than better service from a business if they know he is an alco

Old 10-26-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I ask that question because most of the time that my husband and I go out to eat or whenever he goes into a restaurant to order food, the servers or waiters have served us with very poor service and terrible looking food! I sense that they know he's an alcoholic because of his being boisterous and talking loud...On the other hand when he is sober for that moment long enough to order food or carry out, the service and food is better.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd say a lot depends on how the server is being treated and on whether or not you're good tippers. As a former server, I put up with drunk regulars who tipped well in a much friendlier way. I never gave sub par service to jerks, though. If anything I'd try to be as speedy as possible with them just to get them out of there quickly.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

People who have been drinking and are, loud and awkward are probably given a wide berth at times, but that's probably the same in other areas of life too, whether it's in a store or on the street.

People get to the point of not wanting to put up with it anymore.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I waitressed for over 10 years. I never treated anyone differently based on their personality. I had to wait on an ex once and no I did not spit in his food. Servers are way to busy to worry about messing with someone. If a regular customer who was known to be a pain in the butt came in we would argue about who's section they would be seated in but that's about it.
Edit: Maybe it just seems that way because you are already having a lousy time because he is acting up.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Do they drop standards because they know hes a alcoholic NO

No Restraunt should ever drop thier standards

Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares put me off most restraunts for a good while
Old 10-26-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

I worked as a bartender in a nice restaurant early on in graduate school, and for years before that while I was drinking, and continuing on while I got sober. I'm not sure what the process would look like were a server to have an affect on the quality of the food they serve. I suppose it's possible that a server would naturally avoid customers who are out of control, and that this would be interpreted as poor service. And as was commented on, it's also possible that the food and service seemed second- or third- rate because you weren't having the best of times due to your husband's behavior.

I tended to avoid drinking customers who were overtly obnoxious or otherwise a nuisance, in part to slow down their drinking. I didn't believe that it was my job to tolerate loud or insulting customers, or to negotiate come-ons from women who'd been drinking. And I was called out on this more than once. I mean, my mangers tolerated the other bartender being drunk while we were working, even though towards the later hours he had trouble even standing.

Because I was living and working in Manhattan, customers driving home or to whatever destination was rarely an issue, though I did several times cut off people who I thought had too much to drink, regardless of how they were getting home. Most bartenders learn pretty quickly who comes in to get drunk, and who comes in just to have a couple of drinks or more without incident.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If he's sitting there getting drunk, the wait staff probably aren't enjoying it anymore than you are.

They're only human too.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
If he's sitting there getting drunk, the wait staff probably aren't enjoying it anymore than you are.

They're only human too.
So very true. Thank you for saying that. I felt bad for the server and the people who sat within earshot.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I worked as a bartender in a nice restaurant early on in graduate school, and for years before that while I was drinking, and continuing on while I got sober. I'm not sure what the process would look like were a server to have an affect on the quality of the food they serve. I suppose it's possible that a server would naturally avoid customers who are out of control, and that this would be interpreted as poor service. And as was commented on, it's also possible that the food and service seemed second- or third- rate because you weren't having the best of times due to your husband's behavior.

I tended to avoid drinking customers who were overtly obnoxious or otherwise a nuisance, in part to slow down their drinking. I didn't believe that it was my job to tolerate loud or insulting customers, or to negotiate come-ons from women who'd been drinking. And I was called out on this more than once. I mean, my mangers tolerated the other bartender being drunk while we were working, even though towards the later hours he had trouble even standing.

Because I was living and working in Manhattan, customers driving home or to whatever destination was rarely an issue, though I did several times cut off people who I thought had too much to drink, regardless of how they were getting home. Most bartenders learn pretty quickly who comes in to get drunk, and who comes in just to have a couple of drinks or more without incident.
Thank you EndGameNYC, for sharing your experiences. It is appreciated.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are restaurants that do that. My husband went into a restaurant and ordered carry out food for us both at a very high class reputable eatery. He was in there for an unusually long time, arguing with the server about his food, so they took it back and tried to accomodate him so we thought. They handed him the bar-b-que rib dinners and off we went home to enjoy them. Upon opening up our dinners I could not believe my eyes. The was blackened, brittle, and looked wood-like in appearance.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I waitressed for over 10 years. I never treated anyone differently based on their personality. I had to wait on an ex once and no I did not spit in his food. Servers are way to busy to worry about messing with someone. If a regular customer who was known to be a pain in the butt came in we would argue about who's section they would be seated in but that's about it.
Edit: Maybe it just seems that way because you are already having a lousy time because he is acting up.
silentrun, it may not be the servers. It might be the cook(s) who have possibly overheard a server complaining about a customer being obnoxious. And as a result the cook might send out old food or food that has spoiled or the like.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
People who have been drinking and are, loud and awkward are probably given a wide berth at times, but that's probably the same in other areas of life too, whether it's in a store or on the street.

People get to the point of not wanting to put up with it anymore.
Very true
Old 10-26-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I'd say a lot depends on how the server is being treated and on whether or not you're good tippers. As a former server, I put up with drunk regulars who tipped well in a much friendlier way. I never gave sub par service to jerks, though. If anything I'd try to be as speedy as possible with them just to get them out of there quickly.
Lol!