Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I told my guy I couldn't go to the concert- the tickets were my bday present to him

Notices

I told my guy I couldn't go to the concert- the tickets were my bday present to him

Old 10-25-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm really touched by a sacrifice my guy is making with me. I know it's simple stuff compared to what everyone might be going through but I wanted to share.

I bought him Black Keys concert tickets for his birthday in June. I've been horribly unsuccessful at not drinking at shows and decided not to join him. The show is on Halloween and we had been looking forward to it for a long time, but I realized that at the core I don't think I really like concerts. Haha! Seriously, the crowds, heat, lines, noise, lights and boredom are a perfect storm for me to drink heavily.

I told him he could go and I'd meet up with him later. He said no way and put them up for sale. We're going to a haunted farm thingy and dinner instead. Makes me want to cry out of appreciation. Or that's just the sober emotions talking!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great decision, protecting your Sobriety at all costs is important and realising the dangers!!

He sounds like a great guy to have around!!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

He sounds like a really good guy.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I really have to think of things realistically and just not do them right now. He is sober over 5 years and he's ok in those situations. I have to stop kidding myself that I'm anywhere close that.

He really is!! Reminds me that I should apologize, again, about that time I locked him out of the house because I was drunk and of course he was wrong and it seemed like a good idea for him to sleep in his car. That was fun for everyone.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

What a great guy missoverit he cares and wants to be with you because he knows its associated with your sobriety

big hugs
Old 10-25-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

That was really sweet of him. I hope you guys have a great Halloween.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yikes, I take it that the rude comment was from a troll of some sort? I'm not very forum savvy and not used to that. Thank you very much for taking it down.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissOverIt View Post
Yikes, I take it that the rude comment was from a troll of some sort? I'm not very forum savvy and not used to that. Thank you very much for taking it down.
Yeap it was removed, don't worry about it, there are many here that are rootin' for you!!
Old 10-25-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey MissOverIt, I think that's a great that you have the wherewithal to not put your goals at risk. I've passed on many things myself, but it's the price I have to pay for being wired the way I am.

Your guy sounds like a decent person and it sounds as if he might know what you're going through, which is a plus.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So supportive and kind of him. He wants you to be successful and doesn't mind sacrificing for your well being. I was very fragile early on, but I grew a bit stronger every day. You made an excellent decision.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by MissOverIt View Post
...the crowds, heat, lines, noise, lights and boredom are a perfect storm for me to drink heavily.
Now that's a haunted farm.

There's a famous haunted house here in NYC, but I like the sound of a haunted farm better.

Brings back memories. My very first patient ever described her inner life as though she were walking though a haunted house...alone. Great imagery and a wonderful place from which to start doing the work. I walked through the house with her several times and over a long period of time until it was no longer haunted. Or haunting.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's great that you can express you concerns and needs to your boyfriend and that he is open to listening to you and respecting you. Wonderful!
Old 10-25-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The haunted farm sounds great. I expect/hope the Black Keys will be around for many more years and shows to come

D
Old 10-25-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The haunted farm sounds great. I expect/hope the Black Keys will be around for many more years and shows to come

D
You're probably right. Then if I go see them next time around I'll be sober and actually remember the show.