What if...?

Old 10-25-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What if...?

Not only do I attend al anon, I also go to a local Families Anonymous group. I am notorious at wondering, "what if". Yesterday, as I opened the FA book, Today a Better Way, to read the thought for the day, I came across this and wanted to share. It really helped me and I have shared it in person with someone today.

"What if...? This seems to be another one of the unavoidable stops on the road to recovery. "What if my son starts using again?" "What if he chooses the wrong friends?" "What if he stops going to AA?" I can work myself into a frenzy with those two little words--if I choose to do so.

"What if" is a hard place to get past, but in Families Anonymous, we know we have to push on and leave it behind. If I determine simply to live this moment, this hour, this day, joyfully and serenely, I need never bother with "what if" again. When I fall back on "what if," I am projecting a future that may never happen.

I will let two other words--"thank God"--take the place of "what if," finding at least one thing to be grateful for today and focusing on it--my own good health, a bird's song, a child's laughter, and especially Families Anonymous.

TODAY I WILL let my negatives be replaced by positives, my fear by faith and "what if" by "thank God."

*****I hope someone can use this. It helped me!!******
Old 10-25-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, thank you so much Bamawife. This is wonderful.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for posting this! If I let myself go to "what if...........", I throw in "and what if I get hit by a meteor?" or another silly projection. I've learned that I'm a real dud when it comes to predicting the future and learned to shut off those thoughts.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is just what I needed to hear tonight. Thank you Bama for posting this