Notices

Building self esteem

Old 10-25-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Building self esteem

I am not sure if this is due to my new lifestyle or what, but I really feel like my self esteem has dropped. Could be I never noticed before because I covered it in booze.... I dunno.

What steps can you suggest to bolster one's self-image? I am not a big fan of affirmations. I always think of that guy on Saturday Night Live Stuart Smalley played by Al Franken when he looks in the mirror and says, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it, people like me!"
Old 10-25-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good Morning Art Friend...I think the longer I'm sober, the better I feel about myself...just by treating myself well....eating healthy, exercising, pampering myself in small way.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

My self esteem came back with Sobriety and you are good enough Artfriend

were all good enough
Old 10-25-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Something that helped me is setting little goals and then accomplishing them. As the little accomplishments have added up, I've started to feel better about myself and to have more confidence.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me I created the myth that I was something I wasn't through alcohol, and then when I got ride of the mask my life wasn't very inspiring, the reality was I didn't like myself and many aspects of my life.

Sobriety gave me the chance to build a life I was proud of, all those regrets and that guilt that came from drinking disappeared, a new lifestyle, new routines, new hobbies/interests, and through them I meet new people, not drinking buddies that I used to have.

Over time I started to feel a lot better about myself, even started to like myself and my life, and that was key to create real self esteem rather than the illusion that alcohol created for me!!
Old 10-25-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have heard, "In order to build esteem, act esteemably."

Not sure that's proper English, but the point holds.

Demonstrate by your actions that you are worthy of esteem (both from yourself and from others), and the feelings of self-esteem will follow.

Be the kind of person whom you would hold in esteem.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My self-esteem was shattered by the time I entered rehab. I had lost everything. I was bloated, overweight, unemployed and broke. 5 years earlier, I seemingly had it all so it was a hard fall for me. I am still dealing with my epic fall from grace but every day I stay sober, my self-esteem rises a little.

Baby steps. Stay sober and the rest will come ArtFriend.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Therapy helped me a lot with my self esteem issues. As did the 12 steps, and the people in AA.